Disturbed by the Left and SJW's

blueberry

Disclaimer: I am an ex-convert. I used to post here a long time ago, but cannot recall my old username.

I am looking for advice:

I've been a member of a crafting forum for some time. Last year they came out with a statement equating support of the current administration as "support for open white supremacy." You're not allowed to say anything positive about the current administration, or else be subject to censorship or being banned. This is all clothed in the guise of "inclusiveness" and an intolerance of "hate groups" but they fervently engage in the very thing that they say they are against (I'm not interested in detailing out what they are doing; it's too distressing/disturbing to me).

Initially I found it worthwhile to observe and learn. It is possible to participate in groups that restrict themselves to 'safe' topics, but the most vibrant group (and most interesting) is also the hangout for many of the social activists. I'd like to find an active forum where I can socialize without being subjected to bigotry and hatred. So far I've had no luck, possibly due to the popularity of Facebook groups (I do not use Facebook or Instagram).

1. Do you know of a forum or Discord channel that includes active discussion on topics such as food storage, gardening, cooking, and/or general homemaking? If so, I would be most grateful if you could point me in their direction.

2. I find it difficult to articulate how threatened I feel by the subversive nature of Social Justice Warriors or far left activities. The deceit and trickery - not to mention the hostility and open talk of violence, as well as the head spinning nature of their projections - is all deeply disturbing to me. What would you say to your sister, wife or mother if she came to you for counsel about this?

I'm 56. My new administrative assistant is 26. She bemoans the lack of free speech there is today. By far more American parents would oppose their children marrying outside their political party than would oppose marrying outside their religion. Of course, as a clergyperson, I find that sad. I suspect that politics has replaced religion for many of these folks. So...sorry...no encouragement. You probably know/remember that folk here tend to be more conservative. However, there are some more progressive types here, and a good number are libertarian (I used the small-l on purpose). You can learn a lot here, imho...but I hope it means something coming from a Pentecostal preacher who's been at this LDS-promoting site for almost 15 years.

Edited by prisonchaplain

24 minutes ago, blueberry said:

2. I find it difficult to articulate how threatened I feel by the subversive nature of Social Justice Warriors or far left activities. The deceit and trickery - not to mention the hostility and open talk of violence, as well as the head spinning nature of their projections - is all deeply disturbing to me. What would you say to your sister, wife or mother if she came to you for counsel about this?

I would counsel them to continue conversing exactly as they normally do. If that includes complimenting the current administration or identifying falsehoods others speak, go for it, and let the chips fall where they may. Better to be wrongfully cast out than to sit silently so as not to offend the taskmasters.

43 minutes ago, blueberry said:

1. Do you know of a forum or Discord channel that includes active discussion on topics such as food storage, gardening, cooking, and/or general homemaking? If so, I would be most grateful if you could point me in their direction. 

https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/

They're organized like we are here - political or general topics are in their own section of the forum so you can go ahead and avoid it.  The site membership is a microcosm of the US of A from sea to shining sea - so you'll see a smattering of extreme personalities from SJW's to religious nutcases littering the general discussions. 

You're suffering from telescopic vision.  Spread out some.  Tell your sister, wife, mother to do the same.  If you can't spend a day without reading about or watching videos of or talking about the latest SJW outrage out there, you're not spread out enough.

Edited by anatess2

46 minutes ago, blueberry said:

I've been a member of a crafting forum for some time. Last year they came out with a statement equating support of the current administration as "support for open white supremacy." You're not allowed to say anything positive about the current administration, or else be subject to censorship or being banned. This is all clothed in the guise of "inclusiveness" and an intolerance of "hate groups" but they fervently engage in the very thing that they say they are against (I'm not interested in detailing out what they are doing; it's too distressing/disturbing to me).

Yeah, that type of stuff happens, and tragically it's not uncommon.

Unfortunately I do not.

It's not a good thing to hang around any group that is actively bullying / demeening anyone.  If it's just one person, you could say something.  If it's become a group's culture, it's probably best just to leave that group, especially in the case of social media.  Like I would not stay on the crafting forum you described, precisely for that reason.  Get out of the echo chamber and take a breath of fresh air.  

1 hour ago, prisonchaplain said:

You probably know/remember that folk here tend to be more conservative. However, there are some more progressive types here, and a good number are libertarian

Oh! It isn't the difference of opinion that is the issue (for me), it is the intolerance for a different opinion. The social activists I've encountered are intolerant towards anyone with an opinion differing from their own, especially Christians. I've not seen that sort of behavior here.

28 minutes ago, blueberry said:

Oh! It isn't the difference of opinion that is the issue (for me), it is the intolerance for a different opinion. The social activists I've encountered are intolerant towards anyone with an opinion differing from their own, especially Christians. I've not seen that sort of behavior here.

Yep... you need to spread out more.

Even here we have established intolerances.  For example:  You can't bad mouth the LDS Church here.  You can't go to the LDS Gospel Discussion forum and challenge the Church's teachings, etc.  If somebody comes here and they're bothered by that intolerance, there are many other places where their ideas are more tolerated - even among Latter-day Saints.

Edited by anatess2

27 minutes ago, blueberry said:

Widen your circle to include more people so you have a choice not to spend time with the unpleasant types. In @anatess2's words, spread out more.

Thank you all.

I suppose it is long-term isolation that is driving my desire to connect with people. I've been out of the house twice since early February, the last time was March 8th. The year before that, I'd been out of the house maybe a dozen times (strangely I'd been considering that a wildly successful year until just now). The progress I was making has been put on hold recently and there is nothing I can do about it until this virus thing is resolved (due to risk factors for both myself and husband). Frankly I'm currently feeling a bit desperate. Leaving that forum is not a simple solution (for me) without having some other source of social contact.

Anyway, I'll check out the Homesteading Today forum, thanks! Maybe even consider joining Facebook to have access to groups there.

*That forum does have the ability to 'ignore' people and threads, which I've done with abandon  :)

58 minutes ago, blueberry said:

Exactly. You might enjoy a return. :animatedthumbsup:

2 hours ago, blueberry said:

've been a member of a crafting forum for some time. Last year they came out with a statement equating support of the current administration as "support for open white supremacy." You're not allowed to say anything positive about the current administration, or else be subject to censorship or being banned. This is all clothed in the guise of "inclusiveness" and an intolerance of "hate groups" but they fervently engage in the very thing that they say they are against

This happened to me the other day.  Random facebook group, nothing in the rules about politics, seem like nice enough people.  After one vaguely not-anti-Trump comment from me, suddenly everyone is amped up to eleven and yelling at the top of their lungs.  They demand to know what I meant, and when I explained, asking for kindness, I was accused of mansplaining.  I apologized and bowed out of the thread, and I was accused of shutting down the conversation.  Then I was banned.

image.png.904148e8f986565fd24f25fcc86dc00a.png

(The last comment was because I was shooting for lightheartedness, explaining that I asked my wife if I had a heart, and she replied "I dunno - who's chest did you rip it out of?")

True confession...back in the day when chat rooms were a thing I decided to venture into a political one. I believe my moniker was prisonrev that day. I entered, spent 20 minutes having 3-4 chatters berate Christianity, Christians, clergy, and, of course Republicans. I never typed a word. After 20-minutes a moderator said they had tolerated me for long enough and I was exited. I'm pretty sure this was well before 11/9/16, but apparently preparations were already underway.

I must say that our food storage has certainly come in handy! I'm really glad to have the Church dehydrated veggies; the potatoes make a fabulous topping for Cottage Pie, and it's my favorite lockdown dinner so far. Haven't broken into the wheat berries yet, although I could easily grind them into flour if I wanted to. This is the first time I've been able to say that to anyone and have them understand, lol

Try APN.

I used to frequent the site for a long time.  But I haven't visited in ages.  It was a pretty conservative group and we still allowed a LOT of liberals to voice their positions.  So, it was lively enough. But conservatives still held the field.

Not difficult at all.  We've all felt it.  We all know it... except for the SJWs.

Edited by Carborendum

7 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

This happened to me the other day.  Random facebook group, nothing in the rules about politics, seem like nice enough people.  After one vaguely not-anti-Trump comment from me, suddenly everyone is amped up to eleven and yelling at the top of their lungs.  They demand to know what I meant, and when I explained, asking for kindness, I was accused of mansplaining.  I apologized and bowed out of the thread, and I was accused of shutting down the conversation.  Then I was banned.

(The last comment was because I was shooting for lightheartedness, explaining that I asked my wife if I had a heart, and she replied "I dunno - who's chest did you rip it out of?")

I have seen this more and more among various groups today.  It is a disturbing trend. 

I, as some know, am left (politically speaking) of many in this forum, but normally, as long as we respect other people's views, think it is healthy to exchange ideas with people that may not think the same way as whatever group or politics as each individual does.

There should be some measure of restraint, of course (for example, this forum is for Members of the church and one of only a few places on the internet which enforces the idea of being a place where members can discuss gospel topics without being continually harassed by those that hate them...and I find this a good thing).  However, being able to be challenged in your views is a good thing.  It is hard to actually critically think about your own ideas within an echo chamber.  At times the best way to broaden your views and thoughts are when challenged by others.  This forum has a high tolerance for various beliefs that are expressed (At least politically, economically, and socially) within the confines of course, of our beliefs in the Church or about the church (which are in a positive manner).

Living only within an echo chamber regarding their politics seems to be something that more and more people wish to do today, rather than try to at least understand or see why the other side may think or act like they do.

Edited by JohnsonJones
Trying to make it more generalized to apply in general

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 11:14 AM, blueberry said:

If there is one thing that should never be tolerated - it is intolerance!!!!  😏

The Traveler 

On 5/12/2020 at 7:17 PM, JohnsonJones said:

I, as some know, am left (politically speaking) of many in this forum, but normally, as long as we respect other people's views, think it is healthy to exchange ideas with people that may not think the same way as whatever group or politics as each individual does.

It is unlikely that anything new can be learned by talking only to those with whom one agrees.  However, there are some opinions that are a waist of everybody's time.  If anyone figures out a flawless early warning system - I would like in on it.

The Traveler