LDS vs. non-LDS Christian views of the Bible

Vort

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I haven't actually spoken with a Jew about theology in over 20 years.  But the last time I did, he said the debate was not settled.  

The last time before that was about 15 or 20 years earlier.  This one said that it depends on the rabbi.

So, unless something has happened in the past 20 years (which could certainly be) the matter is not settled in Jewish circles.

This interests me.  Maimonides was clearly in favor of an afterlife.  Herman Wouk’s “This Is My God” (a layman’s introduction to Judaism is unequivocal that Judaism does teach about an afterlife, citing the Talmud.  The Wikipedia article on Jewish Eschatology claims that the Mishna mentions it as well.

On what basis does a modern Orthodox Jew state that human existence ends at death?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

This interests me.  Maimonides was clearly in favor of an afterlife.  Herman Wouk’s “This Is My God” (a layman’s introduction to Judaism is unequivocal that Judaism does teach about an afterlife, citing the Talmud.  The Wikipedia article on Jewish Eschatology claims that the Mishna mentions it as well.

On what basis does a modern Orthodox Jew state that human existence ends at death?

They weren't Orthodox, to start.  Both clearly proclaimed "reformed Jew" status.  Both went to public school instead of a Yeshiva.  The younger one talked about "Hebrew school."  It seemed somewhat similar to our "seminary."  But we never really talked in too much detail.  The older one didn't talk about any such supplementary education, and I didn't ask.  But he seemed very well versed in his religion, and was fluent in Hebrew.

I asked the older one about the phrase "Abraham's Bosom.:  He said it was just a figure of speech.  I asked about the existence of God kinda implying an afterlife.  He only said that the Law of Moses simply means that it's a good way to live and God will watch out for you if you obey it.  There's nothing in the Law of Moses that says we'll be received into any type of afterlife at all.  So, the entire faith revolves around this life.  K...

The other one was much younger (so was I).  He didn't have a great grasp of it.  And I didn't understand enough about Jewish theology to be able to ask him intelligent questions.

So, sorry, I can't give you any more insight.  I simply didn't have enough tools to delve into it at the time I had Jewish friends.  TBH, I don't think I know any Jews in my circle of friends today.  

I'm just relating what two Jews told me.

7 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I haven't actually spoken with a Jew about theology in over 20 years.  But the last time I did, he said the debate was not settled.  

The last time before that was about 15 or 20 years earlier.  This one said that it depends on the rabbi.

So, unless something has happened in the past 20 years (which could certainly be) the matter is not settled in Jewish circles.

You're starting to sound almost half as old as @pam

16 hours ago, Carborendum said:

As far as I understand it, this is still correct.  There are some that have an idea of an afterlife, but many do not. 

Rabbi's simply say they do not know, or that it is not important.  What is important is what we do NOW and what occurs in THIS LIFE. 

For those that ponder the afterlife, there are a whole host of unique and differing ideas on what it holds in various sects of Judaism ranging anywhere from a more neutral gray foggy place sort of like Sheol of existence and non-existence where you simply are...to a place of paradise or suffering...to reincarnation even.

Overall, many sects do not hold the afterlife as much of an important aspect of theology as Christianity or Islam do, but put emphasis instead on this life and what happens in it, at least currently.

There are some sects that DO emphasis an afterlife, but many do not.

I actually almost didn't post that picture just for a cheap laugh. I found it heartbreaking. If he were my son, the picture would make me cry. It's no wonder people hate others when they don't even value themselves. As Elder Gong has said a couple of times now in General Conference, we aren't yet capable of loving ourselves as God loves us. I generally find the phrase "loving oneself" to be code for being piggishly selfish (or for masturbating), but on a strictly literal level, loving self is the foundation of interfacing with others. We are commanded to love our neighbors as ourselves for good reason.

On 6/3/2020 at 11:22 AM, Vort said:

I actually almost didn't post that picture just for a cheap laugh. I found it heartbreaking. If he were my son, the picture would make me cry. It's no wonder people hate others when they don't even value themselves. As Elder Gong has said a couple of times now in General Conference, we aren't yet capable of loving ourselves as God loves us. I generally find the phrase "loving oneself" to be code for being piggishly selfish (or for masturbating), but on a strictly literal level, loving self is the foundation of interfacing with others. We are commanded to love our neighbors as ourselves for good reason.

I'm not sure why the picture is heartbreaking.  It appears that some sort of accident happened.  If that happened to my son or even myself, I'd find it funny.  Yes, it would be a pain to take it off, and some of it may have to wear off over several days.  But I would think it is funny. 

How many times do we tell family stories of silly accidents happening?

17 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

A rather racy Bible commentary I used to have, described Paul's epistles as "fluent, educated Greek", and Revelations as resembling "the French homework of someone who'd be well advised to choose a different subject"!

I don't get "French homework".  Is there a reference I'm missing?

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

I'm not sure why the picture is heartbreaking.  It appears that some sort of accident happened.

It's a photo of a guy arrested for inhalant abuse, in this case huffing spray paint. Which was the crux of joking about being IDed to buy paint.

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Just that the author of Revelations wrote in very bad Greek (John’s native language, of course, would have been Aramaic).  

Mark, I understand, is the same.

8 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I suppose he could have said "Greek homework", but the joke would have been wasted on the general reader. Your average man on the street is far more likely to have taken classes in French than in New Testament Greek, and would understand what bad French homework looks like. I can well remember the pig's ear I used to make of my French exercises. "Madelaine et Pierre regardez le quel heur est il."

Edited by Jamie123

56 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

I suppose he could have said "Greek homework", but the joke would have been wasted on the general reader. Your average man on the street is far more likely to have taken classes in French than in New Testament Greek, and would understand what bad French homework looks like. I can well remember the pig's ear I used to make of my French exercises. "Madelaine et Pierre regardez le quel heur est il."

Bleah.  You did pick a different subject, right?

17 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Bleah.  You did pick a different subject, right?

Eventually. At one point I was actually in the top French class, though I finished up equal bottom in it. The same year I came equal top in English, tying with the same person. (And no, I didn't sit next to him!)