Plein Air

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Plein Air said:

I agree but only if one is moved upon by the Holy Ghost to take action that might harm another person or trample on their legal rights. Abortion for example. An estimated 16,000,000 abortions performed so far this year worldwide according to https://www.worldometers.info. Surely human life is at stake there as well. There is much more "hard" science that shows those babies are living, thinking, feeling human beings than there is that wearing a mask will save lives every time. What would you choose to do, if you cared about their lives, using your most recent comments, to do about saving those innocent children? It isn't illegal in most places to not wear a mask and it isn't illegal in most places to kill unborn children. 

Fair question, and one I’ve thought about a ton lately, given my views on abortion. All I can say is that I understand totally how someone who is pro life would feel the same way about abortion as I do about wearing a mask. They’d be passionate, intense, and feel disdain towards others who disagree with them, with 100% justification. 

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Just out of curiosity, is anyone here against phased reopening plans, with data-and-test-availability driven gates, and triggers to move back to a prior phase?

Because my county and my state have one, and I think they're pretty much the right way to go...

I 100% support reopening the economy, but I think stores and employers should require their staff/customers to wear masks. 

59 minutes ago, MormonGator said:
1 hour ago, Plein Air said:

There is another side of that coin as well. Temper tantrums, drama, verbal and physical assaults, vulgar language, rude looks, gestures and more from those who are offended, dumbfounded, angered, triggered, feeling afraid or endangered, or whatever is motivating them to lash out against those refusing to wear a mask, rather than allowing that person to make the choice for themselves. I haven't read every response in this thread so pardon me if this has already been mentioned.

Probably because their selfish choice puts all of us at risk, especially sick and innocent people. It’s incredibly selfish. So, yes, we should ridicule them. No apologies at all. None. Zero.

Unbelievable. But typical for those who preen by signalling their virtue—which in effect is exactly what mask-wearing often is.

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

All that is correct, lovely and fine until human life is at stake. Once that comes into play, the time for cuddles,  cupcakes and the “high ground” is over. 

Drug use threatens us all a very great deal more than not wearing a mask. Literally millions die every year from alcohol and other drug dependencies, which is overtly and very directly encouraged by recreational drug use. So it's totally cool in MG's book to revile against, talk hatefully toward, and societally and politically shun all recreational drug users. Such actions are virtuous and tend toward a healthy society. We should, all of us together, express our disgust and hatred toward recreational drug users, which actions will make our society stronger and maybe even help those awful drug users to come around and do things right.

Is that correct?

This is exactly opposite the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is exactly the opposite of what any decent society should expect, Christian or otherwise. To see such vomitous actions justified and encouraged on this venue is disheartening.

PS For the irony-deficient, my example above was intended to illustrate the evil of following such a course. Just in case anyone didn't pick up on that.

Edited by Vort

50 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Just out of curiosity, is anyone here against phased reopening plans, with data-and-test-availability driven gates, and triggers to move back to a prior phase?

Because my county and my state have one, and I think they're pretty much the right way to go...

What I've seen of Colorado seems to indicate that this virus is seasonal to me.  If it were not, Colorado's opening SHOULD have resulted in a second wave (along with several of the other states that have been opening up).  Instead it looks like they are holding firm (same as some other states that have opened up recently, with the exception of Texas which seems to be having some bad days) of increasing cases rather than increasing exponentially.  Nevertheless, we could probably look a LOT LESS like Sweden and more like other nations (which are considering banning US travel to and from the US or continuing that ban while relaxing bans to and from other nations...if that says anything about what is perceived is occurring in the US currently) if we had kept up the stay at home throughout the US for the next month.

If it is seasonal, I think there are three scenarios we are looking at.

#1 - People get a weaker strain or a weaker case of it on a slower and smaller basis throughout the summer and we get overall herd immunity to it before the Fall comes.

#2 - The above does not happen, people continue to throw tantrums and fits about their freedoms and when it hits in the Fall, we get a second wave that makes this one look laughable.  We experience Italy style mortalities, and most likely everyone blames everyone else for it because it shows how divided instead of united we are (and China laughs at us).

#3 - We develop treatments and/or vaccines and cap it in the bud before #2 can occur.

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

We develop treatments and/or vaccines and cap it in the bud before #2 can occur.

If we develop a vaccine for this, I wonder how the anti vaxx crowd will feel?