Click on this thread if you are an apostate

Guest Scott

The traditional definition of an "apostate" is one who rejects gospel truths and turns his back on his former beliefs. This is as opposed to a "heretic", who insists that he follows the gospel, yet still holds heterodox beliefs that are generally considered incompatible with the truths he claims to believe. In the kingdom today, the term "heretic" is seldom used. "Apostate" covers both bases.

I am no apostate in the original sense, but in the modified sense, that of believing things that are incorrect and incompatible with true doctrine, I am likely guilty. Obviously, I don't know what those areas are, because if I did, I would modify my beliefs. (And for the record, no, those apostate beliefs do not include ideas about organic evolution.) But if I'm striving to become an honest man—which I am—I must allow that I likely have some beliefs that I will eventually find to be incompatible with eternal truths. So I suppose you could call me an apostate in that sense.

But if you do so, remember that you will have condemned just about the entire mortal kingdom of God as apostates, very probably including yourself.

Guest Godless
7 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

It just dawned on me that there are a group of apostates in Oregon. They used to be atheists but switched over to being Humanists. They claimed it gave them more to talk about. :idea:

Some atheists practice other religious/spiritual disciplines and prefer to be called "non-theists". I've known several humanists who fall under that category.

2 hours ago, Godless said:

Some atheists practice other religious/spiritual disciplines and prefer to be called "non-theists". I've known several humanists who fall under that category.

The Oregon case was real, and I figured some may come my way. So, our chapel obtained a few books--Parenting Without God, etc. Ironically, back in the 70's and early 80's Rev. Jerry Falwell (Sr.) would often warn about the secular humanists. Perhaps he had a bit of prophetic anointing on him--or he was a forward thinker. :spy: