Faked Protests

Carborendum

Trump has definitely not won me over.  Biden hasn't won me over either though, I'm still waiting to see who he chooses as a vice-president.  He may have me choose him if he has the right vice-president...or lose my vote if he chooses poorly.

I am still very concerned about the Coronavirus myself.  Perhaps it is because I am among the vulnerable population that has me concerned.

11 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

Trump has definitely not won me over.  Biden hasn't won me over either though, I'm still waiting to see who he chooses as a vice-president.  He may have me choose him if he has the right vice-president...or lose my vote if he chooses poorly.

I am still very concerned about the Coronavirus myself.  Perhaps it is because I am among the vulnerable population that has me concerned.

Do not kid yourself Biden is not capable of selecting a VP - that will be decided for him by his handlers - most likely based on polling data.  It is my personal political concept that the first requirement of government is to protect the citizens and their property.  Obviously the officer failed to protect his person in custody.   The government failed.  But with all the eyes of the world upon us - it is amazing to me that so many in the government want to avoid protecting anything.

As to COVID-19.  I am also in the vulnerable population - more so my wife who is type 1 diabetic.   I decided at a young age that I do not want to live in fear.  And with the passing of mine and my wife's parents - that it is better to live with quality that quantity.  In helping to care for my father (who passed first) I wanted to make sure he ate healthy meals and took his medication - neither of which he wanted.  I may have added a month to his life but I should have fed him whatever he wanted - like ice cream and put his medication in the garbage.  That is what he would do when I was not looking.

I do not plan to do anything stupid - but while my kids and grandkids are healthy I am going to spend as much time with them as possible.  If I die - I intend that thy understand that I love them and our time together more than I fear COVID-19

The Traveler

16 hours ago, Traveler said:

Do not kid yourself Biden is not capable of selecting a VP - that will be decided for him by his handlers - most likely based on polling data.  It is my personal political concept that the first requirement of government is to protect the citizens and their property.  Obviously the officer failed to protect his person in custody.   The government failed.  But with all the eyes of the world upon us - it is amazing to me that so many in the government want to avoid protecting anything.

As to COVID-19.  I am also in the vulnerable population - more so my wife who is type 1 diabetic.   I decided at a young age that I do not want to live in fear.  And with the passing of mine and my wife's parents - that it is better to live with quality that quantity.  In helping to care for my father (who passed first) I wanted to make sure he ate healthy meals and took his medication - neither of which he wanted.  I may have added a month to his life but I should have fed him whatever he wanted - like ice cream and put his medication in the garbage.  That is what he would do when I was not looking.

I do not plan to do anything stupid - but while my kids and grandkids are healthy I am going to spend as much time with them as possible.  If I die - I intend that thy understand that I love them and our time together more than I fear COVID-19

The Traveler

I am concerned because I am in the vulnerable situation.  You may consider that fear.  It may be.  However, I also have done meals on wheels which delivers meals to many disabled and elderly people.  I have helped at the senior center in my time off.  I didn't go in when I didn't feel well or when I had any symptoms of the virus (not saying I had it, I don't know, they say there are tests, but they haven't been able to test me yet to see if there are antibodies).  We currently have the thing that if just a single one of the volunteers tests positive, we all have to go into isolation for 14 days.  It closes the entire thing down.  Meals and all else.  My choices have ramifications far more than just on me, and that normally applies to many others.

What happens if you kill a friend? What happens if by your actions you kill someone else?  What if you kill your spouse but live through it yourself?

You can not live in fear of dying yourself, but how much do we care for those around us?  Do we fear for them, or do we just try to push them into risky situations also?

Do we disregard everyone else for our own desires?  It does seem to be the American way (well, more of the US's way at least) of doing things these days. 

People wonder how some who focused so much on the virus a few days ago now are so focused on going out and protesting.  Understanding the selfishness of many US citizens today I think is key to that.  They don't care about what happens to others, instead, it's all about themselves.  This is why there is looting and rioting in my opinion.  There are many out there that aren't in it to protest, but in it to see what they can get...consequences of their actions are not considered.

In a way, this also boils down to what I am afraid of regarding Biden's VP pick.  Stacy Abrahms seems like a lady that is deeply focused on what SHE needs or wants.  It's not so much about others, but what SHE desires.  If she, or someone like her were to be his VP pick, I'd probably be very turned off by it.  That's not picking someone because they are able to do the job or dedicated to helping others, but picking them to pander to an audience and with very little regard to what is actually needed in a VP.

50 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

What happens if you kill a friend? What happens if by your actions you kill someone else?  What if you kill your spouse but live through it yourself?

You can not live in fear of dying yourself, but how much do we care for those around us?  Do we fear for them, or do we just try to push them into risky situations also?

Jesus already answered those questions with how he showed people not to fear lepers.

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

Jesus already answered those questions with how he showed people not to fear lepers.

He did?

He had lepers approach him and he healed them, but I don't recall him ever making his way to the leper colony.

The most he dealt with were 10 lepers that came to him, he healed them, but only one came back to thank him afterwards.

I don't recall him ever going and visiting the leper colony itself (and it existed back then).

Just now, JohnsonJones said:

He did?

He had lepers approach him and he healed them, but I don't recall him ever making his way to the leper colony.

The most he dealt with were 10 lepers that came to him, he healed them, but only one came back to thank him afterwards.

I don't recall him ever going and visiting the leper colony itself (and it existed back then).

You're not getting the point.  The lepers were shut out by society for fear that they will kill everybody else.  Jesus showed one shouldn't shut people out for fear they're going to inadvertently kill someone.  

The garden variety flu kills many people.  You never feared spreading the thing.  The car kills many people, you still ride the thing everyday.  But now somebody is telling you to isolate yourselves in your homes EVEN when you do not have the virus because you might just catch it and give it to somebody else.  It's MADNESS.

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

You're not getting the point.  The lepers were shut out by society for fear that they will kill everybody else.  Jesus showed one shouldn't shut people out for fear they're going to inadvertently kill someone.  

The garden variety flu kills many people.  You never feared spreading the thing.  The car kills many people, you still ride the thing everyday.  But now somebody is telling you to isolate yourselves in your homes EVEN when you do not have the virus because you might just catch it and give it to somebody else.  It's MADNESS.

They approached him.  He didn't go to them.  In addition, he healed them.  He didn't just let them wander around beside him and with his apostles.  He didn't even tell others to let them come around and be part of the crowd.  He simply healed them and then if the story of the 10 lepers is correct, they didn't stick around near him.  They went off, and only one returned afterwards to thank him. 

He didn't go to where the lepers actually were, in the leper colony.  He didn't go visit them.  He didn't go stand around with them and hang out with them in the recorded works as far as I know (which does NOT mean he did NOT do that, he could have done that for all we know, it just isn't recorded from what I remember).

Heart disease and Cancer actually kill more people (even the past few months if the numbers are to be understood) than the Coronavirus has.  Covid-19 appears to have a greater lethality than the flu does though, by a great degree.  For most of the elderly, it appears to have around an 8-15% mortality, or, if we take it at the best numbers given...anywhere from a 1-%-2% lethality.   That may be less than heart disease or Cancer (and heart disease IS preventable to a degree, though many ALSO do not take that seriously either...especially in the US), but that is not something to take that lightly.

Comparing it to the normal flu is disingenuous as it is not as deadly as the Spanish Flu which more have been comparing it to.  Even at it's less lethal estimation (where we have indications but not hard evidence yet, where the idea is a LOT more people have had Covid-19 than confirmed cases reducing it's lethality among the general population under 1%, but among the elderly it still resides between 1%-5% depending on the study) it is still more lethal than the Spanish Flu.  The Spanish flu is an epidemic which in theory we should have been able to avoid in the US, but apparently we are all shooting for beating those numbers handily (the Spanish flu killed FAR more during it's second wave than it's first wave...we are still on the first wave of Covid-19).

21 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

They approached him.  He didn't go to them.  In addition, he healed them.  He didn't just let them wander around beside him and with his apostles.  He didn't even tell others to let them come around and be part of the crowd.  He simply healed them and then if the story of the 10 lepers is correct, they didn't stick around near him.  They went off, and only one returned afterwards to thank him. 

Ok, since you don't "get it", I'll meet you at your position.

He didn't go to where the lepers actually were, in the leper colony.  He didn't go visit them.  He didn't go stand around with them and hang out with them in the recorded works as far as I know (which does NOT mean he did NOT do that, he could have done that for all we know, it just isn't recorded from what I remember).

Okay, so, because Jesus can heal lepers, he served lepers.  But because we can't heal lepers, we should isolate lepers and never go anywhere where they are and not let them go anywhere near us.  So now what.  How can lepers attain faith, saving ordinances, or anything in this life to work towards salvation?

Heart disease and Cancer actually kill more people (even the past few months if the numbers are to be understood) than the Coronavirus has.  Covid-19 appears to have a greater lethality than the flu does though, by a great degree.  For most of the elderly, it appears to have around an 8-15% mortality, or, if we take it at the best numbers given...anywhere from a 1-%-2% lethality.   That may be less than heart disease or Cancer (and heart disease IS preventable to a degree, though many ALSO do not take that seriously either...especially in the US), but that is not something to take that lightly.

Comparing it to the normal flu is disingenuous as it is not as deadly as the Spanish Flu which more have been comparing it to.  Even at it's less lethal estimation (where we have indications but not hard evidence yet, where the idea is a LOT more people have had Covid-19 than confirmed cases reducing it's lethality among the general population under 1%, but among the elderly it still resides between 1%-5% depending on the study) it is still more lethal than the Spanish Flu.  The Spanish flu is an epidemic which in theory we should have been able to avoid in the US, but apparently we are all shooting for beating those numbers handily (the Spanish flu killed FAR more during it's second wave than it's first wave...we are still on the first wave of Covid-19).

Okay, so what is the threshold of death before you decide to impair fellowship and service to a degree that you think somebody who approaches somebody else should fear they're risking killing somebody rather than helping somebody?  100,000 deaths per year? 

Just now, anatess2 said:

Ok, since you don't "get it", I'll meet you at your position.

Okay, so, because Jesus can heal lepers, he served lepers.  But because we can't heal lepers, we should isolate lepers and never go anywhere where they are and not let them go anywhere near us.  So now what.  How can lepers attain faith, saving ordinances, or anything in this life to work towards salvation?

Okay, so what is the threshold of death before you decide to impair fellowship and service to a degree that you think somebody who approaches somebody else should fear they're risking killing somebody rather than helping somebody?  100,000 deaths per year? 

Well, 100,000 Deaths would be lower than what Covid-19 has right now.  Not sure what exactly you are asking, but there is no threshold per se to withhold fellowship when we have things like the internet and cellphones today. 

With the lepers, the Lord could heal lepers and yet they STILL isolated them in his time and we have no evidence of him going to the leper colony.  As members we believe that Jehovah and the Savior are the same being.  In that light, he was the one who actually instructed for their isolation and being cast out in the first place.   In that light, he was the one that instructed that these people with diseases be put outside of the camp (or in his mortal ministry, the towns and cities) to their own individual area away from everyone else.  If anything, his measures were more extreme than those today of self isolation, it was actual banishment from everyone else.  Looking at that and it's influence on medicinal practices during the Renaissance, one could say quarantine measures from Europe for the past 500 years have had his biblical instructions as an outline of how to deal with disease, outlines that we are slowly moving away from in modern science.

We don't quarantine people away from society in banishment anymore, if we quarantine it is normally at a set spot in a hospital or at home.  We don't send them to an island or their own colony anymore, rather restricting their movements.  If we continued to follow his instructions on what to do, it would be far more harsh in how we treat people who come down with diseases we wish to avoid.

Just now, JohnsonJones said:

Well, 100,000 Deaths would be lower than what Covid-19 has right now.  Not sure what exactly you are asking, but there is no threshold per se to withhold fellowship when we have things like the internet and cellphones today. 

With the lepers, the Lord could heal lepers and yet they STILL isolated them in his time and we have no evidence of him going to the leper colony.  As members we believe that Jehovah and the Savior are the same being.  In that light, he was the one who actually instructed for their isolation and being cast out in the first place.   In that light, he was the one that instructed that these people with diseases be put outside of the camp (or in his mortal ministry, the towns and cities) to their own individual area away from everyone else.  If anything, his measures were more extreme than those today of self isolation, it was actual banishment from everyone else.  Looking at that and it's influence on medicinal practices during the Renaissance, one could say quarantine measures from Europe for the past 500 years have had his biblical instructions as an outline of how to deal with disease, outlines that we are slowly moving away from in modern science.

We don't quarantine people away from society in banishment anymore, if we quarantine it is normally at a set spot in a hospital or at home.  We don't send them to an island or their own colony anymore, rather restricting their movements.  If we continued to follow his instructions on what to do, it would be far more harsh in how we treat people who come down with diseases we wish to avoid.

Same situation as the other thread.  I feel like I'm speaking another language.  I'll give it a rest.

@JohnsonJones  I have observed your conversation with @anatess2 (whom I have great respect).  Many more people die from automobile accidents in the USA than any other cause including COVID-19.  It is true that I often travel by bicycle - but this is not the reason.  The point here is that you are much more likely to be killed or kill someone while driving.  If you are still driving to go help and perform services - You may consider that your logic with @anatess2 is flawed.  As a side note - during my cycling I have had been hit twice by a car - I do not know how many times I have ran over curbs or into a ditch to avoid a car (as well as some rather spectacular maneuvers to get out of someone's way).  I could be killed every time I get on a bicycle.  Today I was cut off twice by different cars that obviously did not see me - after nearly 60 years of ridding - I am use to it.  Like I said - I would rather be dead than to live in fear - including the fear that I may physically or spiritually upset someone.  I honestly believe this is how Christ lived his life as an example for everyone.

My wife and I have rental properties.  Because of COVID-19 many of our tenants are under financial stress.  As a result our cash flow is stressed.  The wife and I have taken over most (all so far)  jobs that we normally sub out to contractors.  Beginning with the first week of the shutdown - I was forced to repair (mostly replace) a roof.  I did this myself.  I have also repaired sprinklers done landscaping, done some painting (I have tons more painting to do), done plumbing and electrical repairs along with general maintenance and care of facilities.  My wife has decided to be with me and help.  The truth is - we have never isolated and have been more busy than before because we cannot maintain services through contractors (we are not paying ourselves for our work - something I believe every owner of a business must be prepared and willing to do - you know living by the sweat of your brow all the days of your life).

As another side note - I have a sister and a daughter that are both on the front lines of essential workers in hospitals with COVID-19  Both at times have wondered if they have been effected and have family members at risk - but they also have remained working - much more than normal because COVID-19 patients require much more care than most in health care.  When normal folk quite working (especially out of fear) - society collapses.   Someone has to continue - I just figure that I will not stand back and expect it to be someone else.

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

@JohnsonJones  I have observed your conversation with @anatess2 (whom I have great respect).  Many more people die from automobile accidents in the USA than any other cause including COVID-19.  It is true that I often travel by bicycle - but this is not the reason.  The point here is that you are much more likely to be killed or kill someone while driving.  If you are still driving to go help and perform services - You may consider that your logic with @anatess2 is flawed.  As a side note - during my cycling I have had been hit twice by a car - I do not know how many times I have ran over curbs or into a ditch to avoid a car (as well as some rather spectacular maneuvers to get out of someone's way).  I could be killed every time I get on a bicycle.  Today I was cut off twice by different cars that obviously did not see me - after nearly 60 years of ridding - I am use to it.  Like I said - I would rather be dead than to live in fear - including the fear that I may physically or spiritually upset someone.  I honestly believe this is how Christ lived his life as an example for everyone.

My wife and I have rental properties.  Because of COVID-19 many of our tenants are under financial stress.  As a result our cash flow is stressed.  The wife and I have taken over most (all so far)  jobs that we normally sub out to contractors.  Beginning with the first week of the shutdown - I was forced to repair (mostly replace) a roof.  I did this myself.  I have also repaired sprinklers done landscaping, done some painting (I have tons more painting to do), done plumbing and electrical repairs along with general maintenance and care of facilities.  My wife has decided to be with me and help.  The truth is - we have never isolated and have been more busy than before because we cannot maintain services through contractors (we are not paying ourselves for our work - something I believe every owner of a business must be prepared and willing to do - you know living by the sweat of your brow all the days of your life).

As another side note - I have a sister and a daughter that are both on the front lines of essential workers in hospitals with COVID-19  Both at times have wondered if they have been effected and have family members at risk - but they also have remained working - much more than normal because COVID-19 patients require much more care than most in health care.  When normal folk quite working (especially out of fear) - society collapses.   Someone has to continue - I just figure that I will not stand back and expect it to be someone else.

The Traveler

There have been less than 12,000 automobile deaths in the same time that Covid-19 has had over 100,000 deaths.  Yes, overall there have been more automobile deaths during the time span of automobiles, but recently there have not.

On average in a year there are between 30,000 and 40,000 deaths from automobiles in the US annually in the past decade (ranging from 2010 to 2019).  That is still under the yearly death toll this past year in the past few months from Covid-19 in the US (there are still 7 more months in the year).

However, with automobiles, you are also correct (and the same with heart disease and other preventable deaths)...and the same principle can actually apply.  Without a license you are not legally allowed to drive in the United States.  This is a restriction issued by the Government.  Most people do not protest this move.  Most people do not protest the necessity of having government issued Identification (if they do not have a license).  When driving, you should not drink nor drug while driving.  You should obey traffic laws.

There are actually a LOT of restrictions on how, when, and in what manner we can drive.  These are supposedly to try to ensure our safety when driving.  There are more restrictions on driving than there are in regards to going out with social distancing in relation to Covid-19.

We use these restrictions to try to minimize the risk of driving and try to make it somewhat safer.  You are correct though, it is inherently dangerous.  A car can easily kill someone and without anyone following any of these restrictions, the accidents could rise incredibly high and those who die from such accidents may rise to levels FAR higher than almost any other cause of death.  It could even become the leading cause of death in the US.

Putting this in relation to what we are doing now, we COULD protest these restrictions on driving.  We could insist that we be allowed to be drunk while driving.  We could insist that there be no traffic regulations. It could be the wild west and everyone could do anything they wanted without any restriction while driving.

Which environment do you feel safer in?

The one without any restrictions, or one in which there are some which people are supposed to help keep people safe?

Now I am a history professor, which albeit means that yes, I don't have to do many of the things others do.  In that regard, except for the chance of losing my job, one could say I have been somewhat insulated from much of this.  However, that does not mean I don't have rental properties either (I actually currently do).  I also have a daughter in law (and granddaughter, very smart girl, no husband yet though) who are Registered Nurses on the front lines of this as well.  I recognize essential services, but that does not mean necessarily putting others at risk for no reason.  I haven't seen most of my kids or grandkids since this began for example except on zoom meetings and such.  That isn't because they don't love me and their mother/grandmother, but because they do.  It's not because I don't miss them, because I DO miss them, but because we CARE about each other, and though we share many things, this is one thing we don't want to share with each other.

PS: This principle of safety vs. non-safety may be illustrated to a degree when one looks at locations outside of the US which have a high traffic density but less rules or regulations on driving to see how greater concern for safety can actually save lives vs. how many die from auto accidents worldwide.

Edited by JohnsonJones
rephrasing

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

As a side note - during my cycling I have had been hit twice by a car - I do not know how many times I have ran over curbs or into a ditch to avoid a car (as well as some rather spectacular maneuvers to get out of someone's way).  I could be killed every time I get on a bicycle.  Today I was cut off twice by different cars that obviously did not see me - after nearly 60 years of ridding - I am use to it. 

This is honestly what came to mind:

1684165904_download(6).jpg.67173e061f48d9d4e2d04d4ce7e66040.jpg

I love you, T-dad.

Is it ok if I call you T-dad?

Edited by Carborendum

Report from my sister in Salem, OR:  I asked if there were riots nearby.

Yes, there's rioting here.  It's been mostly peaceful here in Salem, but Portland has been hit pretty badly.  There's about 2k people at the Capital bldg right now, but they are peaceful.  Curfew is 11 pm, and we live about (edited) from the Capitol.  The past 4 nights about 11:20-ish, a bunch of loud people walk past our house.  They haven't caused any trouble (yet).

May she stay safe.

Report from here in Houston:

Not bad compared to other major cities.  And compared to other cities of this size... no competition.

I'm not sure how many know.  But George Floyd was a Hustonian.  He was raised here and still has family in Houston.  It seemed he was turning his life around and decided to move to Minneapolis to start a new life.

On 5/30/2020 at 9:52 PM, Carborendum said:

Announcement from Mayor of St. Paul, Minnesota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vNrHsXmSSGg&feature=emb_logo

Everyone who was arrested from the protests were from out-of-state.  That's right.  NONE of the protesters were locals (at  least of those who were arrested).

These people were being hired to protest.  I wonder who that could be behind it.  Oh, I really don't know... maybe...

You don't get arrested just for protesting. (Well at least you shouldn't - if you do, then the police have got some explaining to do!) Could it be perhaps that most of the genuine protesters were locals, and those who were arrested were troublemakers from out of state?

We're all learning a new language here.

Protests can be either violent or peaceful.  Peaceful protests are 1st Amendment protected activities, and police protect citizen's rights to protest.  Peaceful protests can include both legal and illegal behavior.  Screaming obscenities at cops and threatening people with bodily harm, spray painting the Lincoln Memorial, lying in the street to disrupt traffic, blocking people's free movement, all are illegal but still considered "peaceful".  Peaceful protests can get bad enough that they can be declared illegal assemblies and busted up.

Peaceful protests can turn violent in a heartbeat.  The second a rock is thrown and bounces off a cop's riot shield or helmet, or a molotov cocktail gets thrown, or cars start getting overturned, windows broken and looting, cops taken down and beaten and their stuff stolen, now you've got a riot.  By the time we see a video of someone driving their stolen backhoe into a Target, it's been a riot for a while. You will find Black Lives Matter at both peaceful protests and riots.

The way it seems to shake out, during the day you have peaceful protests, and at night the instigators, anarchists, antifa organizers, etc all show up and see how violent and destructive they can make things.   This is why we have nighttime curfews.

Yesterday my daughter and I had to go somewhere. We actually drove through a peaceful protest, which had under a dozen folks carrying Justice for George signs, smiling and waving at us.  We also had to take a detour around a closed road, where clean up crews were finishing up with removing all the debris and the destroyed car from the night before.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, NeuroTypical said:

We're all learning a new language here.

Protests can be either violent or peaceful.  Peaceful protests are 1st Amendment protected activities, and police protect citizen's rights to protest.  Peaceful protests can include both legal and illegal behavior.  Screaming obscenities at cops and threatening people with bodily harm, spray painting the Lincoln Memorial, lying in the street to disrupt traffic, blocking people's free movement, all are illegal but still considered "peaceful".  Peaceful protests can get bad enough that they can be declared illegal assemblies and busted up.

Peaceful protests can turn violent in a heartbeat.  The second a rock is thrown and bounces off a cop's riot shield or helmet, or a molotov cocktail gets thrown, or cars start getting overturned, windows broken and looting, cops taken down and beaten and their stuff stolen, now you've got a riot.  By the time we see a video of someone driving their stolen backhoe into a Target, it's been a riot for a while. You will find Black Lives Matter at both peaceful protests and riots.

The way it seems to shake out, during the day you have peaceful protests, and at night the instigators, anarchists, antifa organizers, etc all show up and see how violent and destructive they can make things.   This is why we have nighttime curfews.

Yesterday my daughter and I had to go somewhere. We actually drove through a peaceful protest, which had under a dozen folks carrying Justice for George signs, smiling and waving at us.  We also had to take a detour around a closed road, where clean up crews were finishing up with removing all the debris and the destroyed car from the night before.

If someone protested My Little Pony I would be so there. 

12 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

If someone protested My Little Pony I would be so there. 

Actually, that almost happened.  Back in 2016 there was a failed terrorist act at some hotel.  They were trying to make it look like an anthrax or gas attack, and they were targeting some political or business conference someone was mad at.  But they got the conference room wrong, and set off their nonsense at a furry convention instead.

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

set off their nonsense at a furry convention instead.

Dude, tell me you aren't into that lunacy. I can deal with the Pony stuff, but if you are a "furry"...well, let's just say all of us might need to plan an intervention for you. 

Can't get the hang of furries.  I tried real hard, I stood out in my barn with my shetland pony and tried my utter best to want a tail.  Just couldn't make it happen.   I saw one once, at my work's halloween party where everyone brought their kids all dressed up.  One kid was a furry masquerading as a normal kid wearing a costume.  Here's how it went:

Me: "Your mom has no clue, does she."
Furry: [ironic humorous prancing movements]
Mom: [nervous, awkward laughter]

Edited by NeuroTypical

Well, it looks like it's turned into a public lynching now, or possibly turning that way.  At the very least, perhaps mob justice.

During the 19th century the stories and rumors go, in the Old West, when people were upset at someone, rather than allow normal justice to occur, they would gather together in a large crowd to demand justice.  When they did not feel justice had occurred, they'd take it upon themselves to make justice occur, which at times resulted in men being unjustly convicted or even worse, taken up and killed by that mob. 

There were 4 officers there that day Floyd died..  There was one that actively was involved with him, another that was doing crowd control, and two rookies that had been on less than a week and were with their training officers. 

The mob wants ALL 4 of them to be convicted of murder or accessories to murder.

At least one of the trainees asked his trainer whether they were doing the procedures correctly and whether they should try to do something else...at least twice. 

They were on the job training, with a FAR superior officer who had rank, time, and position (their trainer) over them. 

The mob does not care, they are calling for the heads of anyone and everyone.  I think the arrest and charging of the other three, especially those that were trainees is showing a slant towards mob rule now, rather than rule of law in this instance.

"Mob mentality" has been recognized since ancient times. Indeed, the word "mob" itself derives from the Latin term mobile vulgus, meaning "the fickle or excitable commoners"—and Rome certainly knew a thing or two about the power of the "vulgar" mob, especially toward its end. The tendency toward groupthink seems to be built into the structure of our brains. One of the hallmarks of adolescence is the recognition of groupthink or mob mentality and the willingness to explore sticking to one's guns in defiance of expectation. (And one of the hallmarks of maturity is the recognition that rebellion itself is no virtue, and that sometimes the unwashed mob might actually be right. A little humility goes a long way.)

I believe that our Lord will require us to account for our actions, and that mob mentality will not be any kind of excuse. In fact, I can't imagine it could be any other way. So the ANTIFA folks won't be hiding behind their anonymity, and "well, everyone else was rioting" won't excuse even one action.

On 6/1/2020 at 12:54 PM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

One of the stacks of bricks have been at the site since February, how is that placing bricks for violent use?

A pallet of bricks showed up in the middle of our historic downtown yesterday.  My husband's route home from work go through that street.  Cops showed up and tried to stop anybody from going near the pallet until they can figure out what to do with it causing my husband to not get home until past 9PM.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic