Google-fu experts, what is this witchery?

Vort

Guest Scott

I doesn't do that when I google the same thing

I have to wonder though, why were you googling this in the first place? :)

I assume you don't lick frogs before posting on Thirdhour, but I guess I could be wrong.   I would suspect that of a few members though. :)

Edited by Scott

Why would someone be looking up things that secrete poisons?

Well, I just answered my question, because someone on a forum asks about the search and if google-fu on our end gets the same results.

I couldn't replicate it.

I typed it in and got the initial results shown, but no option to search instead.

On the OTHERHAND

If I type in

secrete a hallicinogenic poison

I got the results that are shown above, AND I replicated the search showing something DIFFERENT when I clicked on the "search for...instead" link.

I think it has to do with spelling and someone spelled it wrong originally, which gave the search for instead option, but went back and perhaps photo-shopped or something to that effect so that people wouldn't ask about the misspelling.

15 hours ago, Vort said:

image.png.3895eeac2f4595f93517a6c0c6e545c6.png

Yes, the second link does actually give you a different set of results. Can someone explain this to me?

Possibilities: 

You caught google in the middle of uploading a search manipulation, adding Vice to the "bubble up" results.

Your browsing history just has enough Vice to be right in the middle of bubbling up Vice and not.

Everybody's browsing history just has enough Vice to be right in the middle of bubbling up Vice and not.

There's an alien frog in the internet messing with google.

2 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I think it has to do with spelling and someone spelled it wrong originally, which gave the search for instead option, but went back and perhaps photo-shopped or something to that effect so that people wouldn't ask about the misspelling.

The search was mine, the screenshots were mine, and I checked the spelling about half a dozen times to make sure I hadn't misspelled it. The screenshots are unedited.

4 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Why would someone be looking up things that secrete poisons?

When I was bishop I would frequently come home following an evening of interviews and Google things that I needed to better understand for which I probably wouldn't have searched otherwise.  I thought it was kind of rude to do so during the interview.  Were someone to examine my search history they would think I was a messed up guy.

3 hours ago, Vort said:

The search was mine, the screenshots were mine, and I checked the spelling about half a dozen times to make sure I hadn't misspelled it. The screenshots are unedited.

No idea then.  As I said, I couldn't replicate it with the terms given, but if I misspelled one word, I could replicate it.

it even turned up the different results with the right spelling of the word (google corrected it in the search for instead click).

29 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I am guessing one search result is basically two phrases "secrete a" and "hallucinogenic poison", and the other search result is all four of those words not necessarily in order, but sorted by order.

Either that, or Google is run by a bunch of toad lickers.

Or Guinea Pig lickers..: :)