Mayor Defacto

Apartment Hunting

Recommended Posts

I'm planning on making the move from NYC to Utah soon... move is still in the planning stages right now and I'm trying to get a feel for what the rental market is like out there. I've found every NYC apartment I've ever had on Craigslist, but in browsing the Provo Craigslist, it seems a little sketchy. Is there another website that Utah people use to find apartments? Or is it not possible to find it on your own out there and you're better off with a realtor?

Edited by Mayor Defacto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mayor Defacto said:

I'm planning on making the move from NYC to Utah soon... move is still in the planning stages right now and I'm trying to get a feel for what the rental market is like out there. I've found every NYC apartment I've ever had on Craigslist, but in browsing the Provo Craigslist, it seems a little sketchy. Is there another website that Utah people use to find apartments? Or is it not possible to find it on your own out there and you're better off with a realtor?

One bit of advice I'd offer is that unless you are a student, I'd avoid Provo.  Go for Springville or MAYbe Orem.  Try somewhere on the outskirts away from student housing.

The reason is that if you're a renter in those areas, it is much more profitable, dependable, and secure to rent to students.  If they're renting to non-students, I'd wonder why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mayor Defacto said:

Thank you all for the helpful info! I’m hoping to make this move in July, but August might be more realistic. 

Are you specifically looking for something around Provo? What brings you to Utah?

I would second what was said above. Avoid Provo unless you are going to school

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fether said:

Are you specifically looking for something around Provo? What brings you to Utah?

I would second what was said above. Avoid Provo unless you are going to school

I’ve been wanting to relocate for a while for a few different reasons. The lifestyle in NY has become stagnant. I just don’t know how my prospects will play out if I stay in NY. I think there is more opportunity for personal and professional growth in UT.

My job becoming remote suddenly makes relocation possible. I’m not a student, so I will keep that in mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Mayor Defacto said:

I’ve been wanting to relocate for a while for a few different reasons. The lifestyle in NY has become stagnant. I just don’t know how my prospects will play out if I stay in NY. I think there is more opportunity for personal and professional growth in UT.

My job becoming remote suddenly makes relocation possible. I’m not a student, so I will keep that in mind. 

If you want to be close to the city, but not in it, check out Stansbury Park. Bountiful is nice too. Saratoga Springs and American Fork are nice too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fether said:

If you want to be close to the city, but not in it, check out Stansbury Park. Bountiful is nice too. Saratoga Springs and American Fork are nice too

Are there even apartments in Saratoga Springs?  I only know of homes.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pam said:

Are there even apartments in Saratoga Springs?  I only know of homes.   

I actually have no idea. I have some family up there and I have always enjoyed it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Fether said:

I actually have no idea. I have some family up there and I have always enjoyed it

I asked a friend who lives there and he said there are 2-3 apartment complexes.  But there are townhomes that people rent out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mayor Defacto said:

I’ve been wanting to relocate for a while for a few different reasons. The lifestyle in NY has become stagnant. I just don’t know how my prospects will play out if I stay in NY. I think there is more opportunity for personal and professional growth in UT.

My job becoming remote suddenly makes relocation possible. I’m not a student, so I will keep that in mind. 

Florida has beaches and alligators.  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MormonGator
18 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

It's still difficult for the Church.

I thought the church was growing in Texas? No, seriously, I heard Texas was where the church had experienced some good growth lately.

Not a challenge, honest question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I thought the church was growing in Texas? No, seriously, I heard Texas was where the church had experienced some good growth lately.

Not a challenge, honest question. 

Texas is a ginormous State.  North of Houston, the church is growing rapidly.  Inside or south of Houston, no.  In places such as Austin, no.  Lubbock, growing fast there too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not mutually exclusive.  A perfect example of how we're GROWING and yet still subject to Prejudice: 

We tried for years to find land for a new Stake Center.  But we were routed at every turn until we finally found a place.

The fact that we needed a new Stake Center points to our growth.  The fact that we were routed says we're subject to prejudice.

--this is not an isolated incident.  The stake presidency says that many stakes around the region are experiencing the same thing: growth and resistance.

Edited by Carborendum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mayor Defacto said:

It's all set! I'm moving. Thanks for all your help, ThirdHour. Now can you please find me a girlfriend?

LOL.  Right.  Sure thing.

Here are the steps to finding a girlfriend.

  • Shave
  • Get contacts or lasik
  • Go to a hair stylist.
  • Work out at the gym.
  • Be a perfect gentleman.
  • Learn great conversation skills
  • Develop charity
  • Pray for a girlfriend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are Vort's Steps to Finding a Girlfriend.

1. Date lots of girls.

There are other steps, but this seems to be the key element, and the step most often skipped by those born in the last 30 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Vort said:

Here are Vort's Steps to Finding a Girlfriend.

1. Date lots of girls.

There are other steps, but this seems to be the key element, and the step most often skipped by those born in the last 30 years.

Actually, I didn't follow that step... AT ALL.  And I did ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Actually, I didn't follow that step... AT ALL.  And I did ok.

Well, some of us don't need to shave all that much, so we have to find ways to compensate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I didn't know you were Asian!  :) 

One of my sons has eyes with epicanthic folds, inherited from his mother's side (specifically, from my father-in-law). This is a characteristic typical of east Asians, but not unknown in so-called Caucasian populations. This has decreased somewhat since he has come into his manhood, but is still present to some degree.

10-epicanthic-fold-79311047.jpg

My wife is very fair, and so is this son; in Weird Al's words, they're "white as sour cream." But while he was growing up, the epicanthic folds threw people. As a teenager, my son was asked several times by those who knew his mother but not me whether his father was Asian. (I am not.)

This particular son also has quite a heavy beard (at least for a son of mine). He grows a full beard, quite good-looking, in about two weeks, not unlike my own father's beard. When he shaves, he actually gets 5 o'clock shadow at around 5 o'clock. I had decided to grow my beard out a month or two ago. After two weeks or so, it was coming along quite nicely (I thought), maybe a half-inch long, and only somewhat patchy on the cheeks. My full-bearded son remarked, "Daddy, you look like you're growing your beard out. Nice. How long have you been doing it? A couple of days now?"

I shaved it off a week or two later, primarily because my wife hated it but at least a little bit because I just can't compete with my sons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now