Current demonstrations of violence and the Book of Mormon

Traveler

I was most astonished as the wife and I reviewed the Follow Me lesson for Sunday in our home this Sabbath.  If anyone wants a sign or demonstration of the divine purpose of the Book of Mormon – the last few weeks of history and this last Sunday’s lesson is a most powerful witness and testimony.

Let us look at Alma Chapter 5.  Alma reviews a little history –  in verses 4 and 5

And behold, I say unto you, they were delivered out of the hands of the people of king Noah, by the mercy and power of God.

And behold, after that, they were brought into bondage by the hands of the Lamanites in the wilderness; yea, I say unto you, they were in captivity, and again the Lord did deliver them out of bondage by the power of his word; and we were brought into this land, and here we began to establish the church of God throughout this land also.

Now look at verse 6 as Alma ask the Saints a profound question:

And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, you that belong to this church, have you sufficiently retained in remembrance the captivity of your fathers? Yea, and have you sufficiently retained in remembrance his mercy and long-suffering towards them? And moreover, have ye sufficiently retained in remembrance that he has delivered their souls from hell?

This entire chapter tells the Saints how we must deal with the circumstance that we are currently finding ourselves today.  But it is verse 26 that touched my heart and caused me to rethink how we must deal with the current crisis.

26 And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?

I do not believe but this is a time that if we have ever felt the spirit touch our lives and give understanding and direction – can we feel so now?

There has never been a time more important than now – The power of the Book of Mormon to bring a better understanding is needed among the Saints now.  Alma Chapter 5 could not have come to us at a better time to study and prepare for what is to come next.

The Traveler

52 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I was most astonished as the wife and I reviewed the Follow Me lesson for Sunday in our home this Sabbath.  If anyone wants a sign or demonstration of the divine purpose of the Book of Mormon – the last few weeks of history and this last Sunday’s lesson is a most powerful witness and testimony.

Let us look at Alma Chapter 5.  Alma reviews a little history –  in verses 4 and 5

Now look at verse 6 as Alma ask the Saints a profound question:

This entire chapter tells the Saints how we must deal with the circumstance that we are currently finding ourselves today.  But it is verse 26 that touched my heart and caused me to rethink how we must deal with the current crisis.

I do not believe but this is a time that if we have ever felt the spirit touch our lives and give understanding and direction – can we feel so now?

There has never been a time more important than now – The power of the Book of Mormon to bring a better understanding is needed among the Saints now.  Alma Chapter 5 could not have come to us at a better time to study and prepare for what is to come next.

The Traveler

Amen, and I was equally impressed with the lessons of the week before: "I can be a positive influence in my community... True disciples of Jesus Christ do not set their hearts upon riches [applies to current events inasmuch as the roots of and solutions to American racism are said to be largely found in economic drives]... The “word of God” and “pure testimony” can change hearts."

I was also impressed with this week's messages from chapter 9, which shows the power of traditions for both for good and for evil, the latter being exemplified by the insidious nature of much of racism and the harmful traditions it often imposes on the oppressed.

Edited by CV75

16 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

And what do you think is coming next?

Regarding racially-motivated violence the violence occurring at anti-racism protests, I think it depends on who heeds the prophet's recent communications on the subject

40 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

And what do you think is coming next?

I cannot predict who will win a sporting contest.  But I am sure that the L-rd knows and will position us exactly where we need to be.  Alma Chapter 5 is a scriptural version of a PPI we can use to see where we stand and exactly what we need to work on spiritually.  In math books there is often the remark about what to do next as "left up to the reader to solve".  

From some of your previous posts - you have gone through experiences where you have felt G-d's assistance - Alma asks the question - "Can you feel it now?"  For myself, I need to tune in my spiritual receiver a little better to get a clearer signal.

The Traveler

3 hours ago, Traveler said:

And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, you that belong to this church, have you sufficiently retained in remembrance the captivity of your fathers? Yea, and have you sufficiently retained in remembrance his mercy and long-suffering towards them? And moreover, have ye sufficiently retained in remembrance that he has delivered their souls from hell?

When were the souls of their fathers in hell?

4 hours ago, Jonah said:

When were the souls of their fathers in hell?

Because of the fall of man the only possibility is hell.  Anciently hell was the term for death.   Because of Christ and his mercy death (hell) is overcome.

This is the short answer but covers the important point.  

The Traveler

17 hours ago, Jonah said:

And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, you that belong to this church, have you sufficiently retained in remembrance the captivity of your fathers? Yea, and have you sufficiently retained in remembrance his mercy and long-suffering towards them? And moreover, have ye sufficiently retained in remembrance that he has delivered their souls from hell?  -- Alma chapter 5

I believe he is talking about their future and the future of any that do not rely upon Christ.  We will all answer for our sins and end up in spirit prison (hell) if we try to get to heaven on our own efforts without Christ.