Good Cops

Carborendum

Today I discovered the video most of us have been waiting for:

It's probably just a matter of time before Youtube blocks the video.

A powerful reminder that the bad cops we see are only a tiny portion of the cops out there.  It is easy to say "but there shouldn't even be ONE bad cop."  But reality must still be addressed.  Mankind is flawed.  That is why we have government at all.  That's why we have a justice system.

One thing I was thinking of -- even before I saw this video -- was that we are very happy to give a criminal the benefit of the doubt.  But in the public square, we have the tendency to not give the same to police .

Example 1:

A particular court case had a young teen who was growing up in the ghetto and in a gang-infested area being tried for murder.  The situation was such that he noticed the telltale signs of a drive-by shooting.  So, he defended himself by shooting as soon as the window started rolling down.  Because he shot first, he was considered the instigator, and therefore guilty.

The argument was that 1) Given his upbringing and environment, he had every reason to believe his life was in danger.  So he was acting in self-defense.  Justifiable.  Not-guilty.  2) In the aftermath, they did indeed find that the party in the car were members of a rival gang and they had their guns out already.  So, he was right.

I don't remember what the verdict was.

Example 2:

A cop gets called to a particularly dangerous situation and in the ensuing chase, he gets shot.  It is life-threatening, but he heals.  He had no idea that the guy was even armed because the suspect ran off before he could get close enough to even make such an assessment.  But the common practice would be to believe they are armed, just like "a gun is always loaded."

Years later (because a dutiful cop does not quit the force, if he heals properly) he's on another call and a similar thing happens.

Years later another call that is not violent.  But he is called and encounters a suspect resisting arrest.  He has not searched him, but "the gun is always loaded."  In the struggle, the cop ends up shooting him. (Exact details to be determined).

Why can't we give the cop the benefit of the doubt"  Given his past history, he would be inclined to approach a resisting suspect with "the gun is always loaded."  Is that wrong?  No, but if it happened that the suspect was unarmed during a struggle, it makes the news.  The cop is blamed for shooting an unarmed man.  Ferguson, Missouri

Edited by Carborendum

I know what it is like to be innocent and considered guilty.  I was once arrested (wrong place at the wrong time) and was arrested as the prime suspect in a murder of a police man.  I could complain that I was mistreated and treated wrongfully.  The truth is that sometimes the police get the wrong person - but they do not know that.  After all the dust had cleared (two days later) I was debriefed  by the FBI not knowing if they were the same individuals that arrested me.  I have heard there are "bad" cops but I do not think I have ever met one.  These men and women deal with "bad" people and they stand between us and them shielding us from their with their lives.  

I support our police.  I am aware that there are political forces intending to weaponize our government agencies - including the police.  My advice; If a policeman asked for your cooperation - cooperate - if there is something unjust there will come a time to reconcile. 

The Traveler

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Why can't we give the cop the benefit of the doubt"  Given his past history, he would be inclined to approach a resisting suspect with "the gun is always loaded."  Is that wrong?  No, but if it happened that the suspect was unarmed during a struggle, it makes the news.  The cop is blamed for shooting an unarmed man.  Ferguson, Missouri

Because this is not about blacks vs. police.  This is about Trump vs Biden.