CHAZ

Emmanuel Goldstein

16 hours ago, Colirio said:

ob·jec·tive·ly
/əbˈjektivlē,äbˈjektivlē/

adverb
adverb: objectively
  1. in a way that is not influenced by personal feelings or opinions

Are you trying to tell me that the majority of people aren’t politically influenced by their personal feelings and opinions? 

In many ways, politics has become a team sport, cheering for the home team while hissing at the opposition. 

Majority of people are politically influenced by what they think they can get out of it.  Therefore, they can objectively see the response to CHAZ as a failed construct but see no reason to change their vote when they have gotten schools to teach kindergartner kids about Adam and Steve.

Edited by anatess2

On 6/16/2020 at 4:04 PM, MormonGator said:
On 6/16/2020 at 3:33 PM, Colirio said:

In many ways, politics has become a team sport, cheering for the home team while hissing at the opposition. 

Perfectly said. It's always been like this to some degree, sadly. 

Indeed.  I always have to chuckle when people tell me this is some new thing.  My favorite quote from our second president, John Adams, speaking about Alexander Hamilton (the guy on our $10 bills): 

What a pity it is that our Congress had not known ... that Alexander Hamiltons project ... arose from a superabundance of secretions which he could not find Whores enough to draw off?  and that the Same Vapours produced his Lyes and Slanders by which he totally destroyed his party forever and finally lost his Life in the field of honor.

Think about the last ten things you've heard people yell about Trump's relationships with women.  Same stuff, different century.  

31 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Indeed.  I always have to chuckle when people tell me this is some new thing.  My favorite quote from our second president, John Adams, speaking about Alexander Hamilton (the guy on our $10 bills): 

Think about the last ten things you've heard people yell about Trump's relationships with women.  Same stuff, different century.  

In Adams’s defense, Hamilton had some sleazy qualities and, towards the end of his life, was becoming positively dangerous. 

Guest MormonGator
10 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Adams was right about Hamilton.  I don't doubt that a lot of it is also true about Trump.

The problem I have with Trump is that he makes himself out to be virtuous and noble. I have no problem with scumbags who admit they are scumbags. I have a problem with scumbags who think they are wonderful people. 

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

The problem I have with Trump is that he makes himself out to be virtuous and noble. I have no problem with scumbags who admit they are scumbags. I have a problem with scumbags who think they are wonderful people. 

Good think you're not an influencer.  You prattle nonsense.

42 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Good think you're not an influencer.  You prattle nonsense.

No, I think it is fairly accurate.  But that's not the whole story.  The thing is that Trump just has a different set of values.  And he's perfectly happy with his set of values.  And by HIS set of values, I guess he measures up.

I certainly disagree that he is the paragon of virtue that we should all aspire to (stifling the eye-roll).  But it's pretty clear that HE thinks he is. (coughing expletives).

29 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

No, I think it is fairly accurate.  But that's not the whole story.  The thing is that Trump just has a different set of values.  And he's perfectly happy with his set of values.  And by HIS set of values, I guess he measures up.

I certainly disagree that he is the paragon of virtue that we should all aspire to (stifling the eye-roll).  But it's pretty clear that HE thinks he is. (coughing expletives).

I have never heard Trump state that we should emulate him or that he's a paragon of virtue.  He has the bombastic, superlative, unapologetic manner of speaking and attitude.  That is a presentation style.  Not a declaration of virtues.

Edited by anatess2

Can't say I'm surprised.

"Officers attempted to locate a shooting victim but were met by a violent crowd that prevented officers safe access to the victims. Officers were later informed that the victims, both males, had been transported to Harborview Medical Center by CHOP “medics”."

https://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2020/06/20/homicide-investigation-inside-protest-area/