Elsewhere in the World

Carborendum

33 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I've been thinking a lot about other events around the world besides our piece of the pie, both currently and historically.
I can easily get caught up in 'the end is near' because of some domestic events but then fail to put it into context/perspective as it relates to the struggles that other nations face or have faced for many years.
I don't want to see India and China go to war. Admittedly, a piece of me is glad to see another country stand up to China besides the USA and realize not all the world is just going to roll over and play dead for them.

Edited by NeedleinA

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I feel that one of the reasons the media has been over-hyping the coronavirus, "racial justice", and of course, Trump, has been so that other things would not be reported or noticed by the public at large, but rather be drowned out and passed by. I get the feeling that a lot of evil and secret works have gone unnoticed in the world over the past 3-4 months. Similar to a magician's sleight of hand, or "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

7 minutes ago, scottyg said:

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I feel that one of the reasons the media has been over-hyping the coronavirus, "racial justice", and of course, Trump, has been so that other things would not be reported or noticed by the public at large, but rather be drowned out and passed by. I get the feeling that a lot of evil and secret works have gone unnoticed in the world over the past 3-4 months. Similar to a magician's sleight of hand, or "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

I don't think so.  The media has still retained control of what bubbles to the surface of social consciousness.  They don't have to burn down the town to hide secret works.  They've managed to hide all that for centuries.  Want an example?  Hollywood rapes and pedophilia.

7 minutes ago, scottyg said:

would not be reported or noticed by the public at large,

You pretty much have to search out other news, similar to the links Carb posted. Our standard news channels aren't giving us anything except 24hr Corona, protests and trying to topple Trump.

25 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

I don't want to see India and China go to war. Admittedly, a piece of me is glad to see another country stand up to China besides the USA and realize not all the world is just going to roll over and play dead for them.

Unfortunately, India is not making any show of solidarity with America, Freedom, or Justice. China is a real, present, and active threat to India. Politically speaking, India is a terrifying mess, but when it comes to choosing politically between India and China, that's not even a choice.

1 minute ago, NeedleinA said:

You pretty much have to search out other news, similar to the links Carb posted. Our standard news channels aren't giving us anything except 24hr Corona, protests and trying to topple Trump.

Note:  Only 2% of the world's population is on Twitter or Youtube.

13 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Admittedly, I'm shocked to see it that low considering my kid is always editing his next Youtube video - 😉

11 minutes ago, Vort said:

Vort: Proud Member of the 98%.

Twitter - 0% here.
Youtube - I use it multiple times a day. It serves as background music at work. Then at home it is my substitute to network television as I can access super niche content like Bootleg Star Wars toys from Poland OR figure out what kind of games Vort likes to play online. Ah...Roblox & Fortnite!
Untitled-1.jpg.71f3b4d78639ab4dcbc176d7153267a6.jpg

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

Unfortunately, India is not making any show of solidarity with America, Freedom, or Justice.   

Wait, what?  

India is known as the oldest democracy for a reason.

Namaste Trump is a thing for a reason.

China is a real, present, and active threat to India. Politically speaking, India is a terrifying mess,

How is India a terrifying mess?

but when it comes to choosing politically between India and China, that's not even a choice.

Not sure what you mean by this.  Neither India nor China is in an active military alliance with the USA.  The current US position is to leave both countries alone on their disputes especially since neither of them want US involvement.  That's a very good thing.  My own opinion is that USA will do what it has done for the last 3 years - use the disputes as pieces on the trade war chess board.

33 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

To put this into perspective, this is just under half of the US population.

About 22% of American adults are on Twitter.

Do the math: About half of all Twitter users are US adults.

Edited by Carborendum

11 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Admittedly, I'm shocked to see it that low considering my kid is always editing his next Youtube video - 😉

Twitter - 0% here.
Youtube - I use it multiple times a day. It serves as background music at work. Then at home it is my substitute to network television as I can access super niche content like Bootleg Star Wars toys from Poland OR figure out what kind of games Vort likes to play online. Ah...Roblox & Fortnite!
Untitled-1.jpg.71f3b4d78639ab4dcbc176d7153267a6.jpg

I thought I made that private?!

55 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

I don't want to see India and China go to war.    

I highly doubt they will this time around.  Especially after the economic devastation of corona virus on both economies and especially while China is facing the US juggernaut on a trade war and India wants the US to continue issuing H1Bs among all the spinning plates they got with their trade relationships in Europe.  A border dispute is very small potatotes to spend a treasure trove on.

55 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Admittedly, a piece of me is glad to see another country stand up to China besides the USA and realize not all the world is just going to roll over and play dead for them.

Not sure why you think only the USA is standing up to China.  We've been standing up to China all these decades while the USA have been bowing to them and siphoning up their cheap labor.

12 minutes ago, anatess2 said:
34 minutes ago, Vort said:

Unfortunately, India is not making any show of solidarity with America, Freedom, or Justice.   

Wait, what?  

Namaste Trump is a thing for a reason.

My point was that India is not confronting China in some sort of show of solidarity with the US. India is facing an existential threat from China. They're potentially fighting for their lives.

13 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

China is a real, present, and active threat to India. Politically speaking, India is a terrifying mess,

They are the world's largest democracy, but over a hopelessly heterogenous and disunited people. They are a third-world country trying to live by first-world principles. If you have never dealt with Indian government, you do not know the meaning of red tape.

14 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

but when it comes to choosing politically between India and China, that's not even a choice.

Not sure what you mean by this.

I mean that when the time comes to choose up sides, even a blind man can see that we will side with India.

Known by whom?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/08/countries-are-the-worlds-oldest-democracies

Let's start with the caste system, lack of religious freedom, the way they treat women is not much better than the horror stories you hear among Muslims.  Government corruption...

Just now, Vort said:

My point was that India is not confronting China in some sort of show of solidarity with the US. India is facing an existential threat from China. They're potentially fighting for their lives.

Aaaahmmm... not really.  This border dispute has been there since the 60's.  Just because some soldiers went on a deadly skirmish doesn't mean the dispute was escalated by either government.  I haven't heard any pronouncements from either state media.

Just now, Vort said:

They are the world's largest democracy, but over a hopelessly heterogenous and disunited people. They are a third-world country trying to live by first-world principles. If you have never dealt with Indian government, you do not know the meaning of red tape.

I live in the Philippines - a third-world country trying to live by first-world principles.  I wouldn't call India a terrifying mess any more than anywhere else in Asia or even the USA as it stands today.  We live by a different set of challenges and with India having over a billion very diverse people in very diverse regions with very diverse cultures and very diverse religions in an itty bitty space... they have managed to preserve quite a functioning democracy.  Nowhere else in the world can you find such unity in diversity - especially not in the USA today.  

Just now, Vort said:

I mean that when the time comes to choose up sides, even a blind man can see that we will side with India.

I wouldn't be as assured.  The most likely scenario with the current administration is you wouldn't side with either India nor China until you find out where Russia and Iran goes.  

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I live in the Philippines

Boy I'm lost.
I thought you actually moved and lived in Florida for some reason and that your son went to the Philippines and was stuck trying to return home (stateside) for a while with the Corona stuff.

27 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

By the people of India... I apologize that it wasn't stated clearly.  The statement was made in response to Vort's claim that India does not show solidarity with democratic principles.

Let's start with the caste system, lack of religious freedom, the way they treat women is not much better than the horror stories you hear among Muslims.  Government corruption...

Wow... I would have forgiven you if you were sliced bread American.  But you have Korean roots... no soup for you.  Government, dude.  Not culture - it really bugs me when Americans look down on other cultures as if the American way of life is the only good thing on the planet.  By the way, did you forget that India had a Muslim Prime Minister?

Edited by anatess2

12 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Boy I'm lost.
I thought you actually moved and lived in Florida for some reason and that your son went to the Philippines and was stuck trying to return home (stateside) for a while with the Corona stuff.

I am a resident alien of Florida.  It's stated clearly on my immigration papers.

Guest Scott
1 hour ago, Vort said:

Unfortunately, India is not making any show of solidarity with America, Freedom, or Justice. China is a real, present, and active threat to India. 

China also gives India a lot of aid, including a lot of roads.  Economic reasons are one reason India doesn't like to mess with China.

India and China have long been a little antagonistic towards each other.  I do not expect (or at least hope) it goes anywhere further than it has in the past.  On the otherhand, if India and Pakistan were threatening to nuke each other...I might be a little bit more alarmed.

On the otherhand, the Korean situation is somewhat alarming.  I'm not sure what is going on with the North, but it almost seems as if there is a power dispute or something happening where one side is trying to bolster their position, or it could be worse and things are going badly.