Elsewhere in the World

Carborendum

20 hours ago, Carborendum said:

That's it!  I'm posting your soup recipies on the internet!  You'll be RUINED!!! bwuh-hah-hah!!

REVENGE!!! (is a dish that is best served cold.)

This got me laughing so hard I spit my water out my nose.  That thing hurts!  It might have spit out my eyes too because I'm tearing up. 

Thanks for making my day, man.  You rock.

15 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

You would think by now someone would have gotten offended by it and organized a march on DC... I have my placard ready.

The terminology is now "Permanent Resident".  I had thought that the newer green cards had that printed on them.  But I guess not... unless your card is really old.

BTW, why have you never applied for citizenship?  Does The Philippines reject you if you have dual citizenship?

19 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

On the otherhand, the Korean situation is somewhat alarming.  I'm not sure what is going on with the North, but it almost seems as if there is a power dispute or something happening where one side is trying to bolster their position, or it could be worse and things are going badly.

This is my opinion on that situation.  Something is wrong with Jong Un.  He may be ill or something.  There have been rumors going around.  I believe Yo Jong is trying to position herself as the successor.  I believe she is using this "leaflets" issue to establish herself to the world as a strong Kim, on par if not stronger than Jong Un.  She's not getting traction.  I'm not sure if there's just no interest in the Pacific theater right now with the media oxygen sucked up by covid and BLM and the US election cycle or if the media is purposefully spinning attention away from the first female potentially becoming supreme leader of DPRK who has the potential of giving feminists a bad name.  

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

The terminology is now "Permanent Resident".  I had thought that the newer green cards had that printed on them.  But I guess not... unless your card is really old.

BTW, why have you never applied for citizenship?  Does The Philippines reject you if you have dual citizenship?

My new green card is green again (it was pink for a while) and says Permanent Resident instead of Resident Alien.  All my paperwork though was from the 90's and they all say Resident Alien on it.

Philippines legally acknowledge dual citizenship.  USA does not.  My current reasons for not acquiring US citizenship is #1 for patriotic reasons.  Basically, when I made the decision to migrate to the US (before dual citizenship became law in the Philippines), I held the position that I will become the citizen of the country I will fight for in the unlikely event that the Philippines and the USA would go to war on opposite sides of the fence.  Until a few months ago, the answer has always been clear to me - Philippines is where I can do the most good.  The last few months has made me re-address this question.

There are also various practical reasons for me not acquiring dual citizenship - 1.) dual citizens cannot run for public office., 2.) I cannot have dual citizenship when giving birth to my children to claim them as natural-born Filipinos.  This practical benefit became critical when my missionary son faced having to leave his mission.  Having a Filipino passport allowed him to stay.  3.) land reform laws change often but one thing has remained constant - foreign citizens cannot own land in the Philippines.  My Filipino citizenship allows me to anchor my family inheritance for my husband and children.  4.) I have not had to worry about barriers to acquiring travel visas to the places I want to go in the world with my Philippine passport so I haven't been compelled to get a US passport which opens up more visa-free travel opportunities.

16 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

This practical benefit became critical when my missionary son faced having to leave his mission.  Having a Filipino passport allowed him to stay.  

Here's another thing to throw into the mix for your consideration.

I had a friend who is a Korean citizen.  But he is a permanent resident in the US.  When the company asked for people interested in working in Korea, he jumped at the chance.  One big perk is that if you work in a foreign country, you get paid premiums for being an expat.  He would be swimming in it.  He would get paid a per deim for living expenses as well.  But the office was only a short drive from his parents' house.

When the Korean office heard that he was a Korean citizen, they wanted to eliminate all such financial boons.  His wages would be lowered to a Korean salary for an equal position.  He would not get expat premiums or per deim.  His health and dental would be brought down to Korean legal limits.  It really sucked.  Eventually, they ended up bartering a deal.  He accepted the fact that it would be unfair to take a per deim if he was just staying at his parents' home (as an example).

If your son is raised here, he may come across similar situations in his professional life.

I don't know what the law is, but the US doesn't seem to look into alternative passports.  My cousin holds three passports now.  But the US considers her a US citizen -- no dual or triunal??? passport.

38 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

My new green card is green again (it was pink for a while) and says Permanent Resident instead of Resident Alien.  All my paperwork though was from the 90's and they all say Resident Alien on it.

Philippines legally acknowledge dual citizenship.  USA does not.  My current reasons for not acquiring US citizenship is #1 for patriotic reasons.  Basically, when I made the decision to migrate to the US (before dual citizenship became law in the Philippines), I held the position that I will become the citizen of the country I will fight for in the unlikely event that the Philippines and the USA would go to war on opposite sides of the fence.  Until a few months ago, the answer has always been clear to me - Philippines is where I can do the most good.  The last few months has made me re-address this question.

There are also various practical reasons for me not acquiring dual citizenship - 1.) dual citizens cannot run for public office., 2.) I cannot have dual citizenship when giving birth to my children to claim them as natural-born Filipinos.  This practical benefit became critical when my missionary son faced having to leave his mission.  Having a Filipino passport allowed him to stay.  3.) land reform laws change often but one thing has remained constant - foreign citizens cannot own land in the Philippines.  My Filipino citizenship allows me to anchor my family inheritance for my husband and children.  4.) I have not had to worry about barriers to acquiring travel visas to the places I want to go in the world with my Philippine passport so I haven't been compelled to get a US passport which opens up more visa-free travel opportunities.

#3 In my opinion SHOULD be a Law in the US as well.  Many nations have laws that foreign citizens cannot own land, but the US allows it.  This has caused a LOT of irregularity in some markets (and some extremes as well in property prices and values.  A quarter acre in some parts of California cost a million dollars for residential, while it is a LOT cheaper in most of the rest of the nation, a lot due to many foreign investors buying up property for investments in the West).  In my opinion (and it's my opinion, so not facts, just to point that out) it would solve a LOT of problems in the West with Chinese investments if the US adopted a similar rule.

36 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I don't know what the law is, but the US doesn't seem to look into alternative passports.  My cousin holds three passports now.  But the US considers her a US citizen -- no dual or triunal??? passport.

I believe (don't quote me) that the US government deals with multiple citizenships by simply not caring in most cases whether someone holds a passport from another nation. In effect, the US government recognizes the US citizenship of its passport-holders but does not recognize other citizenships for those people in any official way. So the concept of "dual citizen" seems not really to exist in the US government, at least not when applied to American citizens.

Here is a government site that seems both to bolster and to call into question this opinion:

U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. A U.S. citizen may naturalize in a foreign state without any risk to his or her U.S. citizenship. However, persons who acquire a foreign nationality after age 18 by applying for it may relinquish their U.S. nationality if they wish to do so. In order to relinquish U.S. nationality by virtue of naturalization as a citizen of a foreign state, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. nationality. Intent may be shown by the person’s statements and conduct.

Dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries, and either country has the right to enforce its laws. It is important to note the problems attendant to dual nationality. Claims of other countries upon U.S. dual-nationals often place them in situations where their obligations to one country are in conflict with the laws of the other. In addition, their dual nationality may hamper efforts of the U.S. Government to provide consular protection to them when they are abroad, especially when they are in the country of their second nationality.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Here's another thing to throw into the mix for your consideration.

I had a friend who is a Korean citizen.  But he is a permanent resident in the US.  When the company asked for people interested in working in Korea, he jumped at the chance.  One big perk is that if you work in a foreign country, you get paid premiums for being an expat.  He would be swimming in it.  He would get paid a per deim for living expenses as well.  But the office was only a short drive from his parents' house.

When the Korean office heard that he was a Korean citizen, they wanted to eliminate all such financial boons.  His wages would be lowered to a Korean salary for an equal position.  He would not get expat premiums or per deim.  His health and dental would be brought down to Korean legal limits.  It really sucked.  Eventually, they ended up bartering a deal.  He accepted the fact that it would be unfair to take a per deim if he was just staying at his parents' home (as an example).

If your son is raised here, he may come across similar situations in his professional life.

Yeah, the US legally does not recognize foreign citizenship of US citizens and will kick you out of the Citizen's line in Customs if you present some other passport than your US passport.  A friend of mine tried this after she lost her US passport during travel and decided to go home to the US without replacing her blue passport.  She used her brown passport for re-entry and a US driver's license - she got stuck in customs and missed all her connecting flights.

I have this strange situation of being a Filipino citizen, with residence in US, working for a German company... I was hired by the US branch of the contracting company so I'm paid US rates and pay US taxes even during times when I'm physically in the Philippines.  But, to avoid having to pay Philippine taxes on my income, I declared on all my paperwork that I'm a non-resident of the Philippines and a resident of the US even as I own property in the Philippines.  If all I had was an H1B instead of a green card, I wouldn't be able to do this - I'll have to pay both US and Philippine taxes.

Here's an interesting thing - my son is in the IB program in high school which is fully accredited for the University of the Philippines.  If he decides to attend there, he is eligible for the full tuition citizen subsidy, even as I'm not paying Philippine taxes on my income.

In the Philippines though - all foreign and local workers who declare residency in the Philippines are subject to Philippine taxes on their income regardless of where the income is earned worldwide.  Also, all foreign and local workers who are earning their money in the Philippines are subject to Philippine taxes on that income regardless of where they declare residency worldwide.  Now, there's some hubbub going on, on foreigners making Youtube money while filming their channels in the Philippines.  They're supposed to be paying Philippine taxes but there's yet no vehicle by which the Philippine government can track these income.

Edited by anatess2

1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

#3 In my opinion SHOULD be a Law in the US as well.  Many nations have laws that foreign citizens cannot own land, but the US allows it.  This has caused a LOT of irregularity in some markets (and some extremes as well in property prices and values.  A quarter acre in some parts of California cost a million dollars for residential, while it is a LOT cheaper in most of the rest of the nation, a lot due to many foreign investors buying up property for investments in the West).  In my opinion (and it's my opinion, so not facts, just to point that out) it would solve a LOT of problems in the West with Chinese investments if the US adopted a similar rule.

I haven't really looked up the history of this.  It seems like on first glance off the top of my head, the US would have a citizen's only land ownership system as well since historically, only property owners could vote.  I wonder how this all came about.

• 2 weeks later...

Now China and Australia

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3091182/why-has-china-australia-relationship-deteriorated-what-some

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-30/china-step-up-attacks-on-australia-accuses-government-of-spying/12405842

https://thediplomat.com/2020/06/amid-escalating-tension-with-china-australia-and-india-strengthen-partnership/

https://www.dailywire.com/news/australia-begins-massive-military-build-up-as-conflict-with-communist-china-grows-over-pandemic

Who would have thought that India and Australia would form an alliance against China?  Has anyone heard of "The Quad" before?  I hadn't.

China is growing their enemy base.  And the US doesn't even need to fire a shot.  But we're more than happy to sell weapons to China's enemies.  Kinda sounds like what we did in 1812.

Edited by Carborendum

• 2 weeks later...