"My dad is impossible not to like. Even people from the Philippines adore him."

Vort

High praise from the youth speaker in this week's televised ward devotional (broadcast every week to the whole stake; wards take turns). Not exactly sure of all the implications of what she said, but I'm guessing that @anatess2 can fill us in.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

I haven't seen it!  I gotta go find it.

You won't find it. It was a stake-only broadcast. You have to sign in with your ChurchOfJesusChrist.org credentials, and then it's visible only if you're a member of our stake. Plus, it will have been removed by now anyway. I just thought the little girl's comment was funny. "EVEN people from the Philippines adore him!" Wow, must be a tough audience to merit such distinction.

I did not enjoy growing up in the shadow of my father.  He was very respected and for my entire young life I hated the phrase question "Are you C---'s son?"  A couple of stories:

One night I was out late as a teenager with several of my friends helping decorate certain yards with toilet paper.  We were caught by the police for being out after curfew for our age and were all told to go home - except for me.  One of the policemen recognized me as a son of my father and said that my father would want him to personally bring me home.  How lucky was that?

The other story involves a young lady that came to Provo, Utah in hopes of starting a business targeting the men students at BYU.  My father owned several large student housing complexes that catered to male students at BYU.  As it turns out this young lady had attempted to establish residency in the male student housing as part of her business venture.  There were about a dozen business men in Provo (my father included) that were targeted with a law suit for discrimination.  The lawyer and the young lady were obviously intending to obtain settlements.  At the time I was managing my father's apartment complex in question so I was involved.  I did my research and discovered the very shady background of this lady and her lawyer.  I had argued with my father that we needed to employ a good lawyer (I knew just the one) and fight this out in court.  My father would not heir a lawyer and told me that I needed to learn to trust the L-rd because we were innocent.  I thought my father was nuts.  I prepared as best as I could and went with my father to court.

As we entered the court room the young lady looked at my father and immediately began to argue with her lawyer.  In tears she came to my father and apologized telling him he had been dropped from the suit and could leave.  I must explain something about my father.  As a prominent and respected business man - he went to work almost every day driving a beater car and wearing overalls with tools in the pockets.  Yah - that was my dad.  Most residents of his apartments thought my dad was the hired handy man - not the owner.   When this young lady came to Provo her car broke down on the freeway and did not make the exit.  My father happened along and stopped to help.  He had her car towed and fixed at his expense and gave her some money to get settled.  The young lady did not know my father to be a respected business man - just a kind hard working guy that had shown her more kindness than anyone in her life.  It was interesting that my father did not recognize her or remember helping her.  The reality was that he helped so many he did not remember this one.  This was of great shock to me - my dad would not give (or even lend) me $5 for a date or anything else - I had no idea he would help anyone (everyone?) else without asking for something in return.

I have never hear anyone talk ill of my father - even his competitors in businesses or politics.  Okay - one more story about my dad.  He like to make friends and make people feel good.  He was an accomplished artist.  One of his favorite things was to take his wife (mom) to dinner and take his sketch pad.  He would sketch (ink) his water and at the end of the meal offer them a $100 tip (this was back when a $10 tip was extraordinary.)  But he would then say that instead of the tip they could have the sketch of them he had made.  No one ever took the tip.  When he went back to the restraint the servers all knew of him would argue over who would serve him and mom.

The Traveler

2 hours ago, Vort said:

You won't find it. It was a stake-only broadcast. You have to sign in with your ChurchOfJesusChrist.org credentials, and then it's visible only if you're a member of our stake. Plus, it will have been removed by now anyway. I just thought the little girl's comment was funny. "EVEN people from the Philippines adore him!" Wow, must be a tough audience to merit such distinction.

MAN!  I would've loved to see it!

But yeah... I don't wanna be the one to tell her that Filipino hospitality lends to them treating all foreigners like celebrities... :)