Brigham Young statue vandalized

NeuroTypical

2 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Could this description of the metals’ characteristics perhaps be backwards?  I am a bit of a Titanic buff and some years ago was reading a description of the research sub Alvin, which had a titanium pressure hull.  The author claimed that the pressure hull compresses at depth but returns to its original size as external pressures diminish.

I have no expertise in this, but Carb's idea of work-hardening seems reasonable to me. Makes me wonder if the reason the titanium-skinned SR-71 didn't shatter in flight was because the extreme heat of flying at Mach 3 would anneal the titanium, preventing work-hardening.

Just now, Vort said:

Someone notify Elon Musk. Perfect for electric cars.

Funny thing. (Yeah, I know).  I just spoke with a woman yesterday who needed my engineering services.  Our stake pres connected us -- she's in another ward.  As we spoke, she said that the project is going to be run by her, but her son is fronting the money so they can be 50/50 partners.

I asked what her son does.

At the age of 24 he's senior engineer at Tesla.  True story.

3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Funny thing. (Yeah, I know).  I just spoke with a woman yesterday who needed my engineering services.  Our stake pres connected us -- she's in another ward.  As we spoke, she said that the project is going to be run by her, but her son is fronting the money so they can be 50/50 partners.

I asked what her son does.

At the age of 24 he's senior engineer at Tesla.  True story.

When you tell him about cheap titanium and he lets Musk know, tell him that you get a share of the resulting profit margin. Then you can give me my kickback for the brilliant and completely non-intuitive suggestion.

Edited by Vort

7 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Could this description of the metals’ characteristics perhaps be backwards?  I am a bit of a Titanic buff and some years ago was reading a description of the research sub Alvin, which had a titanium pressure hull.  The author claimed that the pressure hull compresses at depth but returns to its original size as external pressures diminish.

No. The Soviets definitely used the Titanium (Search, for instance, Alfa Class submarine). They could afford it, since they had control of some of the richest titanium deposits in the world (in Sibera).

There may be differences in characteristics between small, sea exploration submarines and large submarines carrying nuclear reactors and warheads.

17 minutes ago, Vort said:

I have no expertise in this, but Carb's idea of work-hardening seems reasonable to me. Makes me wonder if the reason the titanium-skinned SR-71 didn't shatter in flight was because the extreme heat of flying at Mach 3 would anneal the titanium, preventing work-hardening.

Isn’t the SR-71 the plane that leaks jet fuel on the ground and only stops leaking when the heat associated with flight makes the internal components swell up and seal tightly against each other?

30 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Isn’t the SR-71 the plane that leaks jet fuel on the ground and only stops leaking when the heat associated with flight makes the internal components swell up and seal tightly against each other?

I watched some documentary-type video on the SR-71 which suggested that this common rumor was sort-of-true. Apparently, when first assembled, the SR-71 didn't leak fuel. But after the first flight, the parts warped somewhat, and the plane's pieces didn't fit together as tightly any more, so that's where the fuel leakage came from. As you say, when the plane got up to operating temperature, it didn't leak.

47 minutes ago, Vort said:

When you tell him about cheap titanium and he lets Musk know, tell him that you get a share of the resulting profit margin. Then you can give me my kickback for the brilliant and completely non-intuitive suggestion.

LOL!  I'm actually hoping that if I can get this guy's ear, then he'll put in a good word so that I can do the design of the new Tesla facility in Texas.

53 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

20 minutes ago, Vort said:

I watched some documentary-type video on the SR-71 which suggested that this common rumor was sort-of-true. Apparently, when first assembled, the SR-71 didn't leak fuel. But after the first flight, the parts warped somewhat, and the plane's pieces didn't fit together as tightly any more, so that's where the fuel leakage came from. As you say, when the plane got up to operating temperature, it didn't leak.

The way I heard it was that there were no seals that would endure the high temperatures involved. So all mechanical seals were used.  But all mechanical seals had the problem with temperature.  So...

And it wasn't a mistake.  Every SR-71 leaked.  It was an "acceptable design condition".

Most of the fuel stayed put, but engine turbulence during takeoff caused some of the fuel to go over the top.  It was only a small amount. Imagine you failed to screw the lid of your pickle jar tightly, and went walking briskly across the room.  One thing that helped is that for aircraft like this, it is common practice to only partially fill the tank prior to takeoff.  So, imagine if your pickle jar was only half full. 

Once they get in the air, the first thing they do is meet up with the tanker and fill up.  Usually by that time the metal has expanded enough to keep the fuel in place and keep the oxygen out.

Edited by Carborendum

3 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Enough with the metals and submarines, etc.
Can we just make something that keeps my eggs from sticking to my frying pan already, someone, anyone? 
What, they did? Put that on the statues then.

On a different note: Did anyone know that asbestos is a fibrous mineral that they mined for in Australia? What!
Put that in a Russian sub at crushing depth and see what happens.

Joking everyone. Carry on.

With eggs and your frying pan.  Try one of the copper coated or copper pans.  I got one and it is excellent.  I can fry whatever I want and it never sticks to the pan.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

From what I understand on the SR-71 was that it leaked massively on the ground.  The reason the connections were so loose was that as you gain altitude and speed, the pressure would close those leaks up.  In otherwords to fly at the speeds and altitudes that it does, the connections on the various parts would need to be very loose on the ground.  At speed and altitude these connections would expand.  If they were tight on the ground, it would crack or destroy them in normal flight.  In order to not have this occur, it needed to be loose on the ground.

In regards to submarines, I wasn't aware of some of the stuff stated in the thread.  I was under the allusion from various things I've read in the past that we didn't use steel as much as hardened aluminum and hardened titanium.

In regards to vehicles, today we use steel frames, but there is probably more plastic in the shell and vehicle itself for normal passenger vehicles than steel.  Plastic is lighter than titanium I think.

Edited by JohnsonJones

• 2 weeks later...

My reaction to mobs tearing down religious icons? If I am not careful I can become angry enough to lose my sanctification! Then there are the liberal suits egging them on—thinking this will help them win in November. 😠

Edited by prisonchaplain

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • 2 months later...

Is this a mixed message OR is it just me? I just read this article from the Desert News entitled:

Black lives matter should be a universally accepted message, Latter-day Saint leader tells BYU audience

By Tad Walch@Tad_Walch Oct 27, 2020, 11:54am MDT

I've seen, not just in this article a deliberate attempt to distinguish "Black Lives Matter" (the organization with upper case B,L&M) vs. "Black lives matter" (the sentiment, lower case L&M). These are two different ideas. Which do you feel this article is pushing? Just curious. Article quotes Elder Oaks:

“The shocking police-produced death of George Floyd in Minnesota last May was surely the trigger for these nationwide protests, whose momentum was carried forward under the message of ‘Black Lives Matter,’” President Oaks added. “Of course, Black lives matter. That is an eternal truth all reasonable people should support. Unfortunately, that persuasive banner was sometimes used or understood to stand for other things that do not command universal support. Examples include abolishing the police or seriously reducing their effectiveness or changing our constitutional government. All these are appropriate subjects for advocacy, but not under what we hope to be the universally accepted message: Black lives matter.”

How does the article formatting of the title, Elder Oaks quote and graphic used in the article gel one with another?
Seems to me that Elder Oaks said "Black lives matter" but the article is trying to get you to believe he said "Black Lives Matter".
Am I wrong?
Untitled-2.jpg.5f7bd7763ff33b4e36d04d778f363919.jpg

Edited by NeedleinA

A-n-d... here goes our favorite garbage tabloid source, the Salt Lake Tribune. Completely blurring Blm with BLM.

For the first time, Dallin H. Oaks, next in line for the presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, called Black lives matter an “eternal truth all reasonable people should support.”

That does not mean everything that is done under the banner of the Black Lives Matter movement — including “abolishing the police or seriously reducing their effectiveness or changing our constitutional government” — commands universal backing, Oaks said Tuesday in a virtual speech to students at Brigham Young University. “All these are appropriate subjects for advocacy, but not under what we hope to be the universally acceptable message: Black lives matter.”