A Question For The Teens...

HalleysComet

Well, I'm 25, but I had the same thing happen to me while I was in school. Basically my experience has been kids in high school thought my morals and beliefs were foolish...however in college, I was GREATLY respected for my beliefs. Just tell em to hold strong and one day the other kids will grow up.

see. people don't look down on me for my beliefs, they just think they're funny. i mean, i suppose it is easier for me, because i simply don't care what people think of me, but it's stil hard to keep your values while others are trying to pull you down. basically, they need decide what is important for them. if these youth decide that living these values is important to them, then they can do it. if these are kids who simply go becasue it's easier to keep peace, then it probably doesn't matter to them.

tell them that the right frineds, althought they may not follow the same values, will atleast support and respect them for their values. it's so hard, i know, but it really pays off.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm in a very deep high school situation, right now. Being a deep member of the hockey team, a lot (a lot, not all) of my buddies and groups I hang around drop the F bomb like it's second nature, as well as do and talk about things that are in no means in tune with the spirit.

You just have to discipline yourself to be the light in the darkness. I'm not going to change who I am so people may like me better. People like me fine in doing what I believe, and if you have enough confidence in yourself, it shouldn't be that hard to keep the standards, even in a crowd like the one I hang around in.

They poke at me time and time, there's no denying that, but friends will respect your efforts, for the most part. One of my defense partners has made an oath that he will get me to swear by the end of the year, but whenever he brings it up I just smile and say," Good luck with that."

• 3 weeks later...

Like HockeyDude says they shouldn't change who they are because of the other people. I tried so much as a freshman and sophomore to hide religion, or make fun of it before any one else got the chance. I've realized that most people aren't judging, they just don't know anything. They think they might know something.

You could be their first experience with an LDS person, so I've tried to just be nice, make good impressions, that sort of thing. If they don't respect you (your friend, or whomever), then their issue is deeper and you shouldn't let it phase you.

• 1 month later...

to stick with what you believe I was lucky I was a geek - so expected to be odd, but the LDS teens in my area (bizarrely at the time there was 15 of us between the two schools), that didn't stick to their belief had no respect from the people they hung out with, they would be gossiped about etc.

I got respect for my beliefs even if I did hang out with the less popular crowd, and all are still people I am proud to be friends with and have fun with - even my popular brother admits my friends were much more fun to hang out with than his. And I have several drug dealers in the area who leave my brother alone when he was a jerk because they liked me and my principles at school

I'd find the geeks lol they will tell you off if you do go against your beliefs in anyway. I remember slipping up and having a drink when out, my friends didn't speak to me for 2 weeks.

-Charley