Bubba Wallace

anatess2

32 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Is this Jussie Smollet Season 2?

I'll tell you why I don't believe that.  Wallace's reaction to the show of solidarity from the other drivers.

I'll tell you why I'd believe it.  Wallace's mother's reaction to the show of solidarity from other drivers.

One showed appreciation to the point of shedding tears over the love.

The other shrugged it off as not enough and started making further claims of racism.

Liar? Or just terminally stupid? Maybe both.

FBI determines no federal crime was committed against Bubba Wallace while investigating noose in his garage

The noose was actually a pull rope set up by a team that used the garage in 2019

https://www.cbssports.com/nascar/news/fbi-determines-no-federal-crime-was-committed-against-bubba-wallace-while-investigating-noose-in-his/

14 hours ago, Vort said:

Liar? Or just terminally stupid? Maybe both.

FBI determines no federal crime was committed against Bubba Wallace while investigating noose in his garage

The noose was actually a pull rope set up by a team that used the garage in 2019

https://www.cbssports.com/nascar/news/fbi-determines-no-federal-crime-was-committed-against-bubba-wallace-while-investigating-noose-in-his/

Now lets see if anyone that 'claimed' it was a noose will step up an offer an apology for being wrong.

The "it was a noose, racist NASCAR people etc." got X amount of airtime.
The "it wasn't a noose" will get <1% of X in airtime.

Edited by NeedleinA

7 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

Wallace is *still* insisting that it was a noose.

Nobody likes admitting a mistake.

If I were his friend, I'd just let him know,"Hey, it was a simple mistake that anyone could have made.  It's ok.  Just accept it and move on."  Instead, he's being encouraged to go onto national news and proclaim that he was still right in being offended at... nothing.

He should be wondering if Don Lemon is really his friend.

Edited by Carborendum

Wish they’d show a close-up of the knot.

The way I learned to tie it, a hangman’s noose under tension will tighten up on whatever’s inside the loop.  It looks cool, but it’s not a very functional knot to have on a pull-cord.  I’d think a simple bowline would be preferable—the loop wouldn’t close up with every use.

(Yeah, I know it was there for months before this guy was assigned to the garage.  It just seems curious to me, that’s all.)

9 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Wish they’d show a close-up of the knot.

The way I learned to tie it, a hangman’s noose under tension will tighten up on whatever’s inside the loop.  It looks cool, but it’s not a very functional knot to have on a pull-cord.  I’d think a simple bowline would be preferable—the loop wouldn’t close up with every use.

(Yeah, I know it was there for months before this guy was assigned to the garage.  It just seems curious to me, that’s all.)

That guy was not assigned to that garage in last year's race where the FBI's 2019 picture of the garage was from.  Another guy - a white guy - was assigned to that garage.

Here's a picture of it today:

bubba-wallace-noose-hoax-5.jpg?w=640&h=3

Here's a video of Talladega garages in 2017 where you can see the "noose" (you can just watch the first few minutes to see them):

Edited by anatess2

56 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

That guy was not assigned to that garage in last year's race where the FBI's 2019 picture of the garage was from.  Another guy - a white guy - was assigned to that garage.

Here's a video of Talladega garages in 2017 where you can see the "noose" (you can just watch the first few minutes to see them)

OK, I saw the video.  It was worthless.  Where was Wallace's stall?  I saw a few hand loops on some of them.  But there was nothing to tell us if either of these was the stall that Wallace had.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

OK, I saw the video.  It was worthless.  Where was Wallace's stall?  I saw a few hand loops on some of them.  But there was nothing to tell us if either of these was the stall that Wallace had.

I don't know anything about the Wallace stall. Here is one of those hand loops from the video @anatess2 posted.
What do you (generic you) see?
What could you see?
What could you see if the world was super charged with race related issues?
Untitled-3.jpg.13409ec3138eeea5f9fc946a8cec3792.jpg

This reminds me of that TV show 'Brain Games'.

21 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

What do you (generic you) see?
What could you see?
What could you see if the world was super charged with race related issues?

And I think that was really the issue.  That's why I was hoping he'd say:

5 hours ago, Carborendum said:

"Hey, it was a simple mistake that anyone could have made.  It's ok.  Just accept it and move on."

And guess what?  He did.

It's been an emotional few days. First off, I want to say how relieved I am that the investigation revealed that this wasn't what we feared it was. I want to thank my team, NASCAR and the FBI for acting swiftly and treating this as a real threat.

I think we'll gladly take a little embarrassment over what the alternatives could have been. Make no mistake, though some will try, this should not detract from the show of unity we had on Monday, and the progress we've made as a sport to be a more welcoming environment for all.

I kinda like him.  I think he made an honest mistake that was stoked by the political environment that we're all feeling right now.  He was hurt.  But in the end, he admitted his honest mistake, and he was appreciative of the show of solidarity from his fellow drivers.

And if I were one of the fellow drivers, I'd be happy to say

Hey, Bubba.  I want you to know that I'm on your side.  You're my buddy.  You're my brother.  If you see anything like that again, let me know.  I won't blame you for crying wolf.  It was an honest mistake.  I'll be behind you.

Edited by Carborendum

32 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

And guess what?  He did.

Good for him. 👍
I'm sure next time he might consider a healthy 'pause'/wait and see, before racing (no pun intended) off to the View (the spew) and Don Lemon.

Edited by NeedleinA

From the stories I've read Wallace was not in the garage when it was discovered.  It was discovered by someone else.  Other drivers saw it before him.  They interpreted it as a noose as well....soo...

There is a distinct difference between the knot you tie as a noose and one you tie otherwise.  It's a very distinct knot.  I'd imagine the other team that brought it to his attention would also know the difference between a common loop and common knot that they tie.

That said, I do not know what the knot they found looked like.  I do not know what convinced them it was a noose.  I have read the FBI have written it off and said it was from last year (in 2019). 

15 hours ago, Carborendum said:

And I think that was really the issue.  That's why I was hoping he'd say:

And guess what?  He did.

I kinda like him.  I think he made an honest mistake that was stoked by the political environment that we're all feeling right now.  He was hurt.  But in the end, he admitted his honest mistake, and he was appreciative of the show of solidarity from his fellow drivers.

And if I were one of the fellow drivers, I'd be happy to say

Sure, you can like him after he was forced to eat crow.  If you saw his CNN interviews, he repeatedly said that if you don't believe him you're a racist.  Even after the investigative journalists showed the evidence (that was later on used by the FBI) of the garage door pulls, he continued to lament about the racists in NASCAR to the "black hole" Don Lemon with his supporters dismissing the investigative journalists as "Right Wing Extremists supporting White Supremacy".  And I'll add to that the "we need to attract a  new audience" NASCAR CEO that is now looking like he was in on the scam.

I will give him credit for not following Smullet's footsteps of abject denial even after getting caught hiring the duo that brought the noose... 

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

Sure, you can like him after he was forced to eat crow.  If you saw his CNN interviews, he repeatedly said that if you don't believe him you're a racist.  Even after the investigative journalists showed the evidence (that was later on used by the FBI) of the garage door pulls, he continued to lament about the racists in NASCAR to the "black hole" Don Lemon with his supporters dismissing the investigative journalists as "Right Wing Extremists supporting White Supremacy".  And I'll add to that the "we need to attract a  new audience" NASCAR CEO that is now looking like he was in on the scam.

I will give him credit for not following Smullet's footsteps of abject denial even after getting caught hiring the duo that brought the noose... 

You can cancel him if you want.  But I found his apology (yes, I'm calling it that) to be sincere.  And I will always accept someone's sincere apology.

12 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

From the stories I've read Wallace was not in the garage when it was discovered.  It was discovered by someone else.  Other drivers saw it before him.  They interpreted it as a noose as well....soo...

There is a distinct difference between the knot you tie as a noose and one you tie otherwise.  It's a very distinct knot.  I'd imagine the other team that brought it to his attention would also know the difference between a common loop and common knot that they tie.

That said, I do not know what the knot they found looked like.  I do not know what convinced them it was a noose.  I have read the FBI have written it off and said it was from last year (in 2019). 

Hah hah... It wasn't other drivers.  It was Wallace's TEAM.  My opinion on how this news story has unfolded:  This is a NASCAR scam which I suspect the CEO is in on.  The CEO has been making noises for a while about attracting a new audience.

Just now, Carborendum said:

You can cancel him if you want.  But I found his apology (yes, I'm calling it that) to be sincere.  And I will always accept someone's sincere apology.

Why would you think I'm part of a cancel culture?  I don't have to like a specific NASCAR driver to like watching him run a motorsports race - well, he was never really worth watching before the snafu, in the first place.  If he keeps that garbage off the race, he'll be fine.  We're not snowflakes here even if he called me racist.  He's just another idiot who can drive a car real good.  I'll accept his apology if he shows evidence of its sincerity.  I'm waiting for the NASCAR CEO to fire himself after he promised to fire the guy responsible for the noose.

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Why would you think I'm part of a cancel culture? 

It isn't about liking him.

Cancel culture simply means that if someone does anything you disagree with at any time, you can never give them the benefit of the doubt or even offer them a chance at making a simple apology.

I find it disturbing that you don't even accept a fairly gracious apology.  Now, if you believe his apology is insincere, that is another story.  But for me, it sounded sincere.