Genealogy Website

jriddick07

For my graduation project in my senior year of high school, I decided to organize my family's genealogical research into an online web database for my family. I'm familiar with the PAF program, but I wanted to make it an easy-to-use interface that was accessible to members of my family without having to take the time and trouble to transfer files. Now that school is over, I'm still working on it when I have the time to do so. I was just wondering if anyone else has done something similar.

For my graduation project in my senior year of high school, I decided to organize my family's genealogical research into an online web database for my family. I'm familiar with the PAF program, but I wanted to make it an easy-to-use interface that was accessible to members of my family without having to take the time and trouble to transfer files. Now that school is over, I'm still working on it when I have the time to do so. I was just wondering if anyone else has done something similar.

I had my genealogy up on my website until my old website got nuked do to changes at yahoo. I now have a business web site(I have to pay a monthly fee but no ads) but have not got around to posting it again. I used the web posting feature in PAF, nothing fancy but it works.

Larry P

Yeah, right now I'm using XAMPP to make me computer a portable server. You can get onto it by using my IP Address instead of a standard URL. Unfortunately, this method tends to be frowned upon by most internet providers, so access to it is on and off. That and the code for the forum I designed is being finicky right now, keeps generating errors and not retrieving things from the database like it should...I'll hopefully get to fixing it while I'm on the road to Idaho tomorrow and the rest of this coming week.

A cousin of mine has a family web page(that he pays for) using PHP-NUKE. Right now it's just mostly a picture posting site, but I want to post my genealogy files. I used to use Legacy, but will probably go to the new PAF. It does pretty much what the old Legacy used to do anymore. Besides, I need to get up on PAF so I can be ready to teach classes in my ward after the first of the year. B)

myfamily.com has a great place to start a family website and they charge like $29.00 for a year and have a great layout. They have everything you need to post photos, family history files, start family trees, have a family calendar, notify family members of anything you need to, etc. Our family has a site there and I belong to about 4 others there that are in my family lineage.

Josie

I use One great Family.. it is nice as it adds families to you authomativally if someone has the same as you. Saves time but there are not that many in it in Norway or Finland yet so it hardly ever connect... but I have found someone who is in there and is family with my hubby!

• 2 months later...