Plein Air

1 hour ago, Plein Air said:

Forbes magazine gives in to ecovangelist bullying - pulling what I felt was a factual, honest and heartfelt response to the current climate change hysteria. 

http://environmentalprogress.org/big-news/2020/6/29/on-behalf-of-environmentalists-i-apologize-for-the-climate-scare

•  

The one question I have for all involved in the climate change hysteria:  How many planets and major objects in our solar system are experiencing climate change similar to earth's?

The Traveler

It's not that, specifically, regarding which other planets are experiencing climate change in our system (and Venus is perhaps the one they point to as the biggest warning sign of what can happen to earth), but that we really don't know enough about what is actually occurring on other planets to really say their patterns of weather or not in regards to their climates.

What does matter, is regarding our planet.  There are various levels of pollution to think about and to be concerned about.  Those who go to places such as Las Angeles, or other cities where pollution is particularly heavy (or even Salt Lake City and Provo on bad days of inversions, though 20 years ago it was FAR worse with Provo being considered in the top 5 most polluted cities in the United States, and honor I do not think it holds anymore) would need to be blind and deaf to say that there was no pollution in those areas.  They'd have to say something didn't exist while seeing it and experiencing it first hand.  Pollution obviously exists and the health problems from that pollution in those local areas affect many.

The question that is posed then is how far reaching is this pollution.  According to our science, pollution combined with many other factors (volcanos, Sun variations, etc) are causing a change in our climate.  Almost all scientist agree that humans have an impact on this climate change...however, the number bandied about by some that it is 97% saying that humans CAUSE Climate Change is rather deceptive.  It is nowhere near 97%  (or even 90% or even 80%).  They agree human pollution has some affect, but is not necessarily the cause or even primary cause (the amount of influence pollution, carbon dioxide, and other items affect climate change actually vary from various groupings of theoretical thought between scientists who actually study the environment and Climate change.  Some may attribute all of it to human causes, but there are others that have the affects as more minimal).

The thing to ponder and think about is what they say is going to occur with Climate Change.  If we take the worse case scenarios presented (not necessarily the worst, but some of the worse) we see them predicting a 2-4 degree temperature change by the end of this century.  How drastic is that actually going to be.

Let's take someplace like...New York or Northern Utah.  Instead of a January where the temperature is around 20 degrees, it will be 24 degrees.  In the summer instead of it being around 95 degrees, it will be 99 degrees. 

Now I'm not a scientist, and I think we should take the science of Climate Change seriously.  I think they see something going on, but I DO question how serious a temperature change of that much really is.  Is it really that drastic of a change to actually affect that much of our areas in the next century.  If it continues to go up there could be serious problems in the far future (perhaps it goes up by another 8 degrees by 2200, and then 16 degrees by 2300...that could be a VERY serious difficulty at that point..but 2-4 degrees does not seem to be that drastic as of yet).  It could be that I am just ignorant on the ramifications.

However, we are to take care of the earth, and recycling if we can, reducing pollution and our emissions which can cause harm to the environment is a responsible thing to do. 

I agree though, that though we should be concerned about the environment and pollution (if nothing else, for local health factors), it could be overblown on how big of an impact it will have on our society by the end of the century with the current predictions they have made.

Guest Scott
On 6/30/2020 at 11:30 AM, Traveler said:

The one question I have for all involved in the climate change hysteria:  How many planets and major objects in our solar system are experiencing climate change similar to earth's?

Similar to Earth's?  None of them.

It is hard to measure temperature on many planets (for obvious reasons), but the ones they can measure seem to be cooling.  Pluto (if considered a planet) may be an exception, but there isn't much data available for that one. 

2 hours ago, Scott said:

Similar to Earth's?  None of them.

It is hard to measure temperature on many planets (for obvious reasons), but the ones they can measure seem to be cooling.  Pluto (if considered a planet) may be an exception, but there isn't much data available for that one. 

The correct answer is all of them in the inner solar system - including the sun.  Jupiter's is so radically changing that the storm eye near the planet's equator has shrank more than 80% (and is predicted to disappear completely within 5 years) in the last few years and had been stable previously for as long as we were able to observe Jupiter.  Some planets do not have an atmosphere and so any changes in temperature are not considered climate change.  At least half of the planets are changing more than earth.

The Traveler

Guest Scott
8 hours ago, Traveler said:

The correct answer is all of them in the inner solar system - including the sun.  Jupiter's is so radically changing that the storm eye near the planet's equator has shrank more than 80% (and is predicted to disappear completely within 5 years) in the last few years and had been stable previously for as long as we were able to observe Jupiter.  Some planets do not have an atmosphere and so any changes in temperature are not considered climate change.  At least half of the planets are changing more than earth.

How are any of those changes "similar to Earth's"?   

4 hours ago, Scott said:

How are any of those changes "similar to Earth's"?   

They are all reacting to the primary cause of climate or change in climate in our solar system - Which is, the sun.  As the climate of the sun changes so does the climate of planets of the inner reaches of the solar system.  For example, polar ice is melting both on earth and Mars.  Unfortunately all this is overshadowed by political agendas - which only occurs on earth.  Other than a unique political polarization on earth all the planets remain dominated by the sun for their climate and climate changes.

The Traveler