Taking Odds on the Election

Carborendum

2 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Twitter has permanently suspended eight accounts that spread former president Donald Trump’s lies about the 2020 election...

I stopped reading after that. Is any media/news outlet unbiased any longer?
I think journalism has gone the way of the dinosaur at this point, extinct. All we are left with now is opinion pieces disguised as news.

Oh, you are not wrong to have a bad reaction at the transparently blinder-wearingly-one-sided bias here.   But something to consider:

When you play golf, you think about the wind direction, and you swing to the left or right because you expect the wind will blow the ball towards the hole.  It's the same deal reading news - any news - from any source.   There is always a wind direction, the secret is to be able to tell which way the wind is blowing and adjust your information gathering appropriately.

The buzzfeed article, for example - presents many useful facts (the hole).  The biased commentary is just the wind.  

IMO, you do yourself a disservice when you refuse to expose yourself to known bias, just because it ain't your bias.  Because:
- Sun Tzu's "know thy enemy" is good advice. 
- The (probably fake) Ancient Native American wisdom to "walk a mile in a foe's moccasins" is good advice.
- The Lord's commandment to "love thy neighbor" and "forgive thy enemy" are both much easier if you understand them.  And they're also good bits of advice.

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

IMO, you do yourself a disservice when you refuse to expose yourself to known bias, just because it ain't your bias. 

Totally hear you and agree with this assessment. 
I simply didn't read the Buzzfeed article further since that type of "Trump lies" bias is repetitive old news at this point. 
If 'journalist' would give me something new that was biased I'd most likely read it. 
I'm not opposed to hearing the other side, but once I've heard it, I don't need to hear it 99 more times to get the point. 👍

On 7/16/2021 at 8:56 AM, NeedleinA said:

Do you mean Maricopa County (the one who ignores subpoenas) was none to happy to have anything said about their voting procedures? Shocker.
The same county that has restricted and tried to impede the audit at every turn... you mean that group? Shocker again.

Here is Maricopa's latest response. Did the Chairman allow his disgruntled teenager to write this letter? 
Yah, Maricopa has impeded the audit at every turn possible. Why not give the auditors access and put this to rest, but they won't.
There is a reason that ballot hard copies are kept for 2 years... for this exact reason. 
https://www.maricopa.gov/DocumentCenter/View/70435/Final-Signed-Letter-to-Senators

2107566043_Untitled-1copy.thumb.jpg.9fc8cdc68132b2dd4b306c42cca352aa.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2021 at 12:26 PM, Traveler said:

I do not believe that anything can be described without a bias.   There is no such thing as news or history without a bias.  In my mind the problem is not that there is bias in news or history - the problem is the attempt to cover up any and all bias.  The most evil of opinions are the opinions that do not understand their bias or deliberately lie about it.  If my personal bias is not obvious - I will be glad to state it clearly.

The Traveler

There is a problem in the US in recent years where an undue amount of influence has come from the media.  The pattern has seemed to be...if you cannot get it voted on democratically, then force it through the courts to make people accept it, and then...after a few years...people do.

This is one reason WHY the Courts have become as important as they have in recent decades.  Judicial Activism is more of a Kingmaking service regarding law than who we vote into Congress.  One of the GOOD things Trump did was being able to put the Justices he did on the Court.  This makes it HARDER for the activists that have been pushing through things that they could not get through democratically into law for everyone else.

I've mentioned it before, but a great book describing how we got into this situation is Supreme Power by Ted Stewart (And he is actually a conservative AND from Utah I believe). 

There are problems currently in the US, a great deal of it regarding morality.  People think that the push for many items just popped up in the past decade or two, but the truth is that it had it's birth long before that with the Hippie movement and the loosening of morals among our young people (now the old people of my generation) in the 60s and 70s.  Pre-marital relations and extra-marital relations being acceptable or even promoted have done far more evil in this nation than many recognize.

In my opinion...

20 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

There is a problem in the US in recent years where an undue amount of influence has come from the media.  The pattern has seemed to be...if you cannot get it voted on democratically, then force it through the courts to make people accept it, and then...after a few years...people do.

This is one reason WHY the Courts have become as important as they have in recent decades.  Judicial Activism is more of a Kingmaking service regarding law than who we vote into Congress.  One of the GOOD things Trump did was being able to put the Justices he did on the Court.  This makes it HARDER for the activists that have been pushing through things that they could not get through democratically into law for everyone else.

I've mentioned it before, but a great book describing how we got into this situation is Supreme Power by Ted Stewart (And he is actually a conservative AND from Utah I believe). 

There are problems currently in the US, a great deal of it regarding morality.  People think that the push for many items just popped up in the past decade or two, but the truth is that it had it's birth long before that with the Hippie movement and the loosening of morals among our young people (now the old people of my generation) in the 60s and 70s.  Pre-marital relations and extra-marital relations being acceptable or even promoted have done far more evil in this nation than many recognize.

In my opinion...

History seems to indicate that pre-material relationships were a problem long before the Hippie movements of the 60's and 70's.  Anciently the worship of Ba'al throughout the Old Testament was not uncommon  The golden calf in the days of Moses had direct relationship to Ba'al and involved  the celebrating of blessings via sexual ritual specifically outside of marriage covenants.  There are some indications that reserving sex for marriage is quit unique to the religious elements of the renaissance that led to the religious elements involved in colonizing of the Americas and later; the establishment of the United States of America.  But there is another element.  The Book of Mormon is given as a "type and shadow" for our day.  This includes a warning of "secret combinations" that take hold of governments.  The influence of "secret combinations" is particularly evident with control of legal use of the law with two separate execution (applications including punishments) of the law through placement of judges and lawyers that favor one political party over all others participants in the government.

The Traveler