Is This the Work of History Revisionists on George Washington?

George Washington’s writings have long served as a guide to America’s first president—what he thought, how he made his decisions, even how he felt about his wife.

But when it comes to his personal religious beliefs, Washington seems to have been a closed book—or, at least, unwilling to commit many of his own views to the page. Unlike many of his peers, including Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and John Adams, Washington never explicitly laid out his own beliefs—even as he alluded to them in passing on many occasions.

With so few actual accounts to draw from, historians are mostly limited to analyzing what Washington did, to try to understand what he may have believed. The trouble is, even his most straightforward actions can be hard to read and, at times, appear contradictory. The first president encouraged his fellow Americans to show up for worship, for instance, but sometimes struggled to make it to church himself for weeks at a time. For many years, he served as a dedicated vestryman and church warden, but left services instead of taking communion. And while he peppered his writings with references to Providence, there’s comparatively little mention of God or of Jesus Christ.

Read more at:  https://www.history.com/news/george-washington-religious-beliefs-god?li_source=LI&li_medium=m2m-rcw-history

I believe some people are trying to re-write history on George Washington.  I think they are ignoring some of his writings and picking what they want to come to different conclusions.  I found this written by George Washington:

Act at all times as in the presence of God, and make it the great object in all things to please Him. In order to do this, Seek first of all to gain clear views of His will and with regard to all things to be perfectly conformed to it. In doing this, Cherish no thoughts, indulge no feeling, speak no words, and do no actions, but what you really think, after all the light you can gain, will most honor God, most benefit yourself and others needs, and give you the greatest joy when they come to be exhibited before the assembled universe at the judgement day.

Begin and end each day by a season of communion with God, and by a solemn and hearty commitment of yourself and all your interest, temporal and eternal, to His guidance, care and disposal. Daily read, with deep attention and fervent prayer, a portion of the word of God, for the purpose of understanding, believing, and obeying it.

Never express or indulge the least degree of unkindness towards any human being, and give no needless pain to any one of the human race, or even of the animal creation. Make it your object to promote the greatest happiness, on the whole, of all upon whom you may have influence, both of the present and all future generation.

Regard the hand of God in all the dispensations of His providence, and in whatsoever state He places you, therewith be content. Envy none who are above you, and despise none who are below you: but possess and manifest the utmost goodwill towards all men.

I also found this from Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation, 3rd of October 1789:

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor—and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me “to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.”

To continue the quote above:

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations, and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions … to render our national government a blessing to all the People, by constantly being a government of wise, just and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed … and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord, to promote the knowledge and practice of the true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and Us, and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

It seems that no one is calling upon the Lord and Ruler of Nations to pardon our national trangressions.

Instead, blacks are demanding apologies, and whites are kneeling before black people to absolve them of "systemic sins."  Meanwhile conservatives are saying,"What sins?"

In light of Washington's words, I wonder if, maybe, we're ALL missing something here.

For Washington's noticeable acts of religious devotion:

https://www.mountvernon.org/george-washington/religion/8-facts-about-george-washington-and-religion/

https://www.mountvernon.org/george-washington/religion/george-washington-and-religion/

From his farewell address:

Can it be that Providence has not connected the permanent felicity of a nation with its virtue ? The experiment, at least, is recommended by every sentiment which ennobles human nature. Alas! is it rendered impossible by its vices?

Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. The mere politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked: Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths which are the instruments of investigation in courts of justice ? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

Providence in that day and in such contexts did not refer to simple "luck" but the blessing of God.  Often times, it was another name FOR God.  No one at the time would have considered it to mean anything else.

Edited by Carborendum

Revisionist history, or at least how I see it, has been happening for almost 70 years now.  There were some attempts at revisionist history before that, but it's slowly been gaining steam until we are seeing a cavalcade of it today.

Some of it is the publish or perish idea which dominates academia.  The push to have thesis for degrees and post graduate work push people to find "new" and "undiscovered" ideas that change how we think and look at history.  Some of it is good, some of it is a little strange, and some of it is probably deplorable. 

It is how history is today.  It is pushing the boundaries of our understanding of past figures and the way we see things in the past.  In this way, one could say history as we understand it today is in constant flux. 

Views on George Washington are included in this type of view. 

I wonder whether we aren’t judging many of the colonials by 21st-century notions of “Christianity”, and maybe @prisonchaplain can weigh in on this.  But it seems to me that nowadays Christians—especially Protestants—are all “Jesus” this and “Jesus” that.  But Winthrop’s “City on a Hill” sermon doesn’t contain the words “Jesus” or “Christ” once.  I wonder whether earlier Americans, while undeniably Christian in attitude, simply were more reticent to invoke the name of Jesus due to some desire to keep the name sacred (a perspective that retains some potency among our own fellow Saints today).

Maybe modern researchers assume that since Washington didn’t use the vocabulary of modern Christians, he must not have actually thought much of Christ.  I wonder whether, if forced to apply their assumptions and techniques to the surviving works of some colonial preacher (Cotton Mather, for example), those researchers would be compelled to reach the same conclusion about him as they do about Washington.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

My first thought when I hear "city on a hill" is Israel. God commanded his people to be that shining light that would draw people to Him. Jesus similarly said we are to be salt and light--a city on a hill. I suspect most LDS have this in mind when they labor to create hard-working, clean, low-crime communities wherever they reside--especially in concentrated numbers. I'm not sure Winthrop was trying to make a point by not mentioning Jesus' name in abundance. He simply focused on Jesus' words for this homily. Jesus' name can be used a lot or a little. My desire is simply that it be used well.