Fireworks Mishaps

Carborendum

I'm ashamed to admit it...  But, remember how I mentioned that I'm a really slow reader?  So, I try to get by with as little reading as possible.  So, I didn't read the instructions on a particularly dangerous firework.  These were the actual rockets that go up in a stream and explode into a dozen lights the spread out radially from the explosion.

The way the fuse is all wrapped up tight, I figured you're supposed to light the fuse, drop it in, and run like the wind.

No.

Actually, you're supposed to undo the tape (which is really hard to see by flashlight) untie the knots (which are much more difficult than they appear) unravel the fuse to its full length (which it turns out is the length of the tube in which you drop it) THEN light the fuse and run like cat from a cold bath.

By doing it my way, you get the thing to blow up in your hand and have it fly off in a random direction (which happened to be towards me) and explode upon impact. 

Yeah, both my left teres muscles are going to be sore for a while.

Guest MormonGator

Ouch! Be careful my friend. 

I know of a guy in high school who blew off his hand playing with an M80. I feel sorry for him. Very sad. 

When we were kids, our neighbor lit up a rocket while having several other rockets hanging from his pants pocket.  He knelt down to light the fuse and the sparks caused the rockets in his pocket to spark too... He ended up taking off his pants in the middle of the street before running for his life.  We will never make him forget that day.... :)

Another one was defective.  We followed the instructions.  But when the fuse ignited the ball, it exploded low and spread all over the ground.

Several obsevers witnessed something slightly different.

• I noticed multiple lights going in all directions -- seemingly each hour of the clock.  And they seemed to come from the bottom of the shaft.
  • Another noticed only one light coming directly toward him.  He said it popped up out of the shaft and changed directions.
  • Another noticed it exploding in the middle of the shaft and spinning.

Whatever it was, we had plenty of clearance from any other fireworks. So, that was kinda fun -- variety.

Many years ago, before I was married, a friend and I used to organize a firework party each year. She (my friend) would provide the food, and I would supply the fireworks. She was a foster carer - mostly of young kids - but one particular year had two teenage foster-sons living with her. They were both nice and (as far as I knew) sensible lads, so I thought it would be a splendid idea to give them the job of setting off the fireworks.

Anyway, at first it went fine. But then they came to a firework which they weren't at all sure what to do with. Well like I say they were sensible boys, so naturally they read the instructions...printed on the side of the firework...using a match for light!

Well as soon as I saw what they were doing I ran straight out into the garden in front of everyone, in full Basil Fawlty* mode. Quite apart from the damage to two silly boys, I shudder to think what would have become of my friend if two of her charges had been blown sky-high!

Lesson: If you're going to trust teenagers with explosives: (i) don't assume anything - explain it to the as if they were five, and (ii) keep a very close eye on them!

*If you don't know who Basil Fawlty is, check out...

Edited by Jamie123

One of my cooler uncles used to organize a neighborhood cul-de-sac fireworks deal every Independence Day - complete with speakers blaring Flight of The Valkyries.  We pulled up one year to see him standing there in his John Wayne hat, holding a lit flare, getting ready to set off another round he'd set up in the middle of the street on a 2X8 laid across two sawhorses.   One young niece came running up to me, to proudly show off the hole that got burned into her dress. 

Odd, I always recall that memory fondly, but now as I type it out, there's a little tinge of horror at the thing.