Texas: Contagion and Masks

Carborendum

Interesting developments:

1. Governor Abbot (TX) has issued an executive order asking/mandating masks by all (except for counties with fewer than 20 cases)

A. Our police department has stated that they are NOT going to be enforcing this.
B. Our fire marshall (what the ???) has gone around to businesses which entertain customers and required that they have masks available near their front doors.  But this has only been applied to small businesses.  I noticed that the Home Depot in the same parking lot had no such masks available.

2. About a week and a half ago (that Saturday) my family and I helped a lady move.  A whole bunch of people from the neighboring ward was there (we used to be part of that ward).

A. Someone there has contracted COVID.
B. He sent out a notice on Facebook for each household that was there, giving us fair warning.
C. He's giving updates on his condition.  So far only flu-like symptoms that he has had many times before.
D. We'll be waiting until this weekend to see if anyone in our household has it or not.

We got a call from a play buddy of our youngest to see if my son could go visit.  I told the father about the moving, etc.  He reminded me that he was there as well (like I said -- a whole bunch of people helping).  So, if we've got it, they've got it too.  So, he's not worried.

39 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Interesting developments:

1. Governor Abbot (TX) has issued an executive order asking/mandating masks by all (except for counties with fewer than 20 cases)

A. Our police department has stated that they are NOT going to be enforcing this.
B. Our fire marshall (what the ???) has gone around to businesses which entertain customers and required that they have masks available near their front doors.  But this has only been applied to small businesses.  I noticed that the Home Depot in the same parking lot had no such masks available.

2. About a week and a half ago (that Saturday) my family and I helped a lady move.  A whole bunch of people from the neighboring ward was there (we used to be part of that ward).

A. Someone there has contracted COVID.
B. He sent out a notice on Facebook for each household that was there, giving us fair warning.
C. He's giving updates on his condition.  So far only flu-like symptoms that he has had many times before.
D. We'll be waiting until this weekend to see if anyone in our household has it or not.

We got a call from a play buddy of our youngest to see if my son could go visit.  I told the father about the moving, etc.  He reminded me that he was there as well (like I said -- a whole bunch of people helping).  So, if we've got it, they've got it too.  So, he's not worried.

So........ after 2 weeks moving buddy won’t have to bother wearing a mask since he’s already been through the ringer, right? 

4 hours ago, mordorbund said:

So........ after 2 weeks moving buddy won’t have to bother wearing a mask since he’s already been through the ringer, right? 

According to the CDC they still aren't sure.  They are doing testing on monkeys but no conclusive findings yet.  So to be safe, I'd still wear a mask.

8 hours ago, pam said:

According to the CDC they still aren't sure.  They are doing testing on monkeys but no conclusive findings yet.  So to be safe, I'd still wear a mask.

On top of that, even if having had the disease gives you any immunity against it, that only means that you are less likely to become ill.  You are still perfectly capable of spreading the thing. If you have some immunity, the strength of the virus may be reduced, but humans don't have a natural immunity to this. 

Help protect those around you and wear a mask.

1 hour ago, MarginOfError said:

On top of that, even if having had the disease gives you any immunity against it, that only means that you are less likely to become ill.  You are still perfectly capable of spreading the thing. If you have some immunity, the strength of the virus may be reduced, but humans don't have a natural immunity to this. 

You can be a carrier and never have actually shown signs or come down with it.  

7 hours ago, MarginOfError said:

That's not what the data shows.

6 hours ago, pam said:

You can be a carrier and never have actually shown signs or come down with it.  

Yes, you can have corona virus and be asymptomatic.  This basically means that the replication of viral cells in your body is ably and successfully suppressed by your immune system such that it doesn't get the chance to cause an emergency response (such as fever) by your natural bodily functions.  From the results of contact tracing so far, the chance of asymptomatic carriers passing enough viral cells outside of the body to cause somebody else (even those with weak immune systems) to contract it at such a volume as to cause covid symptoms has been zero.  WHO data shows this.  WHO, of course, went back on their statement stating what the data shows and takes the "We Really Don't Know" route.  Why?  Your guess is as good as mine - mine, of course, is... they've been waving false flags for so long their credibility is shot and so to avoid any more damage after the US pulled funding is to be non-committal to anything.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/09/who-comments-asymptomatic-spread-covid-19/

Edited by anatess2