Tax refunds

Guest Scott

Guest Scott

Is there anyone else out there who still hasn't gotten their tax refund?  I filed in March and this was our biggest refund to date.  We still haven't got it though.

Phone calls to the irs just hang up on you before connecting to a live person, the irs website says no information available, and all the irs offices are closed.

Edited by Scott

1 minute ago, Scott said:

Is there anyone else out there who still hasn't gotten their tax refund?  I filed in March and this was our biggest refund to date.  We still haven't got it though.

Phone calls to the irs just hang up on you before connecting to a live person, the irs website says no information available, and all the irs offices are closed.

Did you file electronically?

Guest Scott
8 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I've never heard of that before.  Did you use a CPA?

No, I always do them myself.

Last year we claimed tens of thousands of dollars in out of pocket medical expenses, plus the solar credit, and for some reason the electronic filing sites wouldn't let it clear (even with documentation), so I had to do it by mail. 

6 minutes ago, Scott said:

No, I always do them myself.

Last year we claimed tens of thousands of dollars in out of pocket medical expenses, plus the solar credit, and for some reason the electronic filing sites wouldn't let it clear (even with documentation), so I had to do it by mail. 

The thing is that most of the better CPAs will be able to contact the IRS when the lay person cannot.  And they may know how to file electronically when you do not.

You could at least talk to one and find out if they can call or not.  You could also ask if they can e-file it or not (even with those extra deductions).  If they can, try to do it before the deadline.  If they can't then you're stuck wondering if it just got lost in the mail or if it got lost at the IRS or if it is still being processed.

I remember one year where everyone around me said they got their returns.  I didn't get mine for another couple months after the last person seemed to get theirs.

I can send you the info for my accountant (He's in Denver).  He'd normally talk to you.  But being this close to tax day, he might be too busy.

Edited by Carborendum

13 hours ago, Scott said:

Are you a member of the Tea Party? I hear they’ve been yanked around by the IRS in the past.

On 7/10/2020 at 7:39 PM, Scott said:

I have a rather complex tax filing so I use a specialized tax accountant.   After 2 weeks I did not get a refund so I contacted my accountant.  As it turned out my tax filing was lost this year by the IRS and I had to refile all over again.  After filing the second time - I got my refund in less than a week.  Our accountant said that the IRS has lost a lot of filing this year - about a third of the filing he has prepared.  I do not know how my accountant was able to trace and determine that it was lost but he was able to do it in about 2 days.

On a side note - I was audited some years ago by the IRS - it is the single worse experience with any government agency I have ever had.  I was lied to, I was threatened, my employer was notified to have my wages garnished.  I found out later that the IRS had me mixed up with someone else.  I did not know that the IRS was so powerful and that they could treat someone so badly and when it was over I had no recourse to recover anything that was lost because of their mistake. I also discovered that once on a bad list for the IRS - they will bother you every year.  I decided after that experience that I would never have any communications with anyone in the IRS without a witness present and a recorder.  Once I started using a specialized tax accountant - all my IRS problems have conveniently ended.

The Traveler