Should I join the COVID vaccine study?

NeuroTypical

I've got an opportunity to be part of a phase 3 trial, for a COVID vaccine, offered through the Lynn Institute.    It's a 2 yr study, I'd get 2 shots in August, then they'd spend 2 years testing me to see if'n I caught da 'rona or not.  Of course no way to tell if I get the placebo or the real shot.  They tell me this does not keep me from getting any other COVID vaccine should one become available on the market.

Thoughts?  Concerns?  Conspiracy theories?

I'd be interested to see if my cell service improves, if they shoot me full of 5G RFID C-19.

I see there are positives and negatives on if you do and if you do not. 

If you do...

You may be protected far sooner than everyone else, and develop anti-bodies that protect you from getting the virus

As you will be producing anti-bodies most likely, at least in the short term, and it's been seen to help other animals, confidence is high that this will protect you in the short term.  You will probably (if you don't get the placebo) have protection against the virus. 

You will be helping society out and science forward.

If it is a paid study, you get money.

Negatively, there may be serious side effects which are unknown.  Worst case scenario is that it kills you.  There could be adverse effects.  It may be that you develop the Virus from the vaccine itself (though unlikely with many of the vaccine candidates) or have adverse reactions that cause life long debilitating effects.  (this is actually a big negative).

If you get the placebo, you really haven't gained much personally, and of course would still be at risk.

If you do not...

You are just as susceptible as everyone else to the Virus.

You don't risk adverse side effects of an unproven vaccine.

You won't get paid if it's a paid study

If I knew whether I would get the placebo or vaccine candidate, If I had the chance I might volunteer, but there can be big risks to health in studies that occasionally pop up.  it can also be beneficial.

5 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I wouldn't do it.

Heck, I don't even think I'd get it even if it comes to market.  And that's really my concern about these Mask-Nazi's... if they're that Karen over masks, how much more for the vaccine!

That's the big question that's hitting some medical researchers.  Even if the vaccine comes out, will enough people actually take it so that herd immunity is reached or not?

Hopefully, people will not be SO anti-science that they determine the worst situation based on stupid conspiracy theories (vaccine will have a microchip, or some other ridiculous things I've heard), but concern over long term effects I grant is a valid reason to worry.

Once the vaccine is out, I plan on getting vaccinated if possible.  I'm not sure on the ethical situation (as I'm in the high risk categories for age at least, I think they will be wanting to first inoculate medical first, then children and elderly, and then those higher at risk or in somewhat of a similar order as that) if I'm offered to take it before many others, but I think it'll probably be safer to take it for me, than possibly not taking it.

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

That's the big question that's hitting some medical researchers.  Even if the vaccine comes out, will enough people actually take it so that herd immunity is reached or not?

What I want these medical experts need to answer is the WHO statement that according to the data gathered through contact tracing, asymptomatic virus carriers does not show that they pass the virus to others.  This basically means, if proven correct, that asymptomatic carriers are already contributing to herd immunity without the need for a vaccine.

Guest MormonGator

@NeuroTypical, I think it's "common knowledge" here that you've had some medical issues over the past couple of years. We were all worried about you, and most of us here prayed for your health. I'm as pro-vaccine as they come (you know this) but will your past health issues effect the vaccine? 

12 hours ago, MormonGator said:

@NeuroTypical, I think it's "common knowledge" here that you've had some medical issues over the past couple of years. We were all worried about you, and most of us here prayed for your health. I'm as pro-vaccine as they come (you know this) but will your past health issues effect the vaccine? 

Thank you much for the caring question.  I made sure I emphasized my history, meds, and current health in the pre-screening interview.  They are 'checking' to see if any of it rules me out.

24 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Another reaction I received, was along the lines of "aren't you worried about viral shedding and the possibility of giving your family COVID if the vaccine uses live cells?"

I would think you have bigger problems than the corona virus if your family's immune system is so weak as to get covid from viral shedding of vaccine-strength virus... am I wrong?

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Thank you much for the caring question.

Welcome. I trust that you and your doctors will make the correct decision. Good luck my friend, we’re praying for your health! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all accepted, and in a little less than 2 weeks, I get shot full of murder hornet GMO RFID juice.

This is a "messenger RNA" vaccine, which means it doesn't actually have any COVID virus in it, either weakened or dead.  It's just an outer-spacey engineered RNA string that will trick my immune system into thinking there's a virus afoot, and it reacts as if it were true.

Cool video on the science behind it:

Edited by NeuroTypical

• 3 months later...

Whelp, I've had this stuff travelling through my veins since August.  It's starting to make international top news now.

NPR - Moderna's COVID-19 Vaccine Shines In Clinical Trial

Bloomberg - EU Could Approve BioNTech, Moderna Vaccines in December

NYT - Moderna’s Covid Vaccine: What You Need to Know

On my own volition, I went to my local clinic-in-a-grocery-store, and took the 15-minute finger-prick antibody test.  I tested positive, meaning, I carry the antibodies that show up when a human's immune system has fought off COVID.

Exciting stuff.  I expect the vaccine to be the thing that digs the human race out of the whole shebang.

10 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Whelp, I've had this stuff travelling through my veins since August.  It's starting to make international top news now.

NPR - Moderna's COVID-19 Vaccine Shines In Clinical Trial

Bloomberg - EU Could Approve BioNTech, Moderna Vaccines in December

NYT - Moderna’s Covid Vaccine: What You Need to Know

On my own volition, I went to my local clinic-in-a-grocery-store, and took the 15-minute finger-prick antibody test.  I tested positive, meaning, I carry the antibodies that show up when a human's immune system has fought off COVID.

Exciting stuff.  I expect the vaccine to be the thing that digs the human race out of the whole shebang.

For the uninformed such as I, is one able to go and get an antibody test at most grocery stores?  I wasn't aware of this.  Would a Kroger's (Smith's in the West) pharmacy be able to do this.

I have been around Covid-19 individuals within the past 2 months, and though I tested negative when they tested me and never had any symptoms, a few weeks later we had one individual in our house and family that lost their sense of smell (we isolated them and seem to have come out unscathed) which has me wondering constantly at the back of my mind if I actually could have had it or not and not known about it.  I know people my age are supposed to have it hit them much harder than anyone  else, but I still wonder if somehow I got it but didn't know it.