The "Say Nice Things About America" Thread

Jamie123

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, Vort said:

Wrong. It's a statement of fact.

1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

Ignore it @JohnsonJones, It's totally uncalled for. 

I'm going to walk away before I say something I regret, he can get the last word. Once again, I apologize @JohnsonJones

Edited by MormonGator

18 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I'm going to walk away before I say something I regret, he can get the last word. Once again, I apologize @JohnsonJones

I'd say this is also something the American left does... apologizing for things they didn't do.  Wierd.  Although, it seems like this changed drastically in the last month... seems like even the seemingly die-hard right like the Chik-Fil-A CEO is now apologizing to blacks for things he didn't do.  At least he has it in common with the British Prince - apologizing for things he didn't do but didn't even make an apologetic mention for the things he DID do.

We are living in Clown World.

Edited by anatess2

10 hours ago, Vort said:

Nah. It's true. You just don't like it.

Lying again. Not surprising, but all the same, for shame, JohnsonJones.

Really, you are THAT convinced Liberals and Democrats don't wave flags...

Quick Google search...

Democrat convention (I believe pic is from 2016 Democratic convention)

180315-democratic-convention-crowd-2016-

That's an amazing number of Republicans at a Democratic Convention

Here's more of those Republicans waving flags at a democratic rally

hillary-clinton-2016-dnc-gty-jc-180615_h

So many Republicans supporting Hillary Clinton apparently....

Of course, then you have weird mixes of it such as this

obamaflag2640-1.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Yeah...now I'm pretty sure that these people aren't Republicans flying the US Flag...in fact, I'd say these are people that are further to the Left than I am.

This is from a quick Google search of images...not even really a focused search even.  Clicking some of the first images that pop up.  it's not hard.  The Conventions they have are public domain and you don't even have to go searching for it. 

It's not even a hidden thing. 

Oh...wait, maybe you meant this flag instead...because if we are going with stereotypes...

ap00070101626-4e5f8a1b40df73b275344fc3a1

The stereotype is that Conservatives are white mysgonistic racists (and just like the entire foolishness of saying Liberals can't be patriotic, most people KNOW that the stereotype I just stated is also ridiculous.  It's not held by any but a small minority, and almost all Conservatives do not hold those views)...is that the US flag you are talking about...cause that's not the Flag I'm Talking about.  I'm talking about the Official Flag of the United States of America...

USFlag.jpg?resize=865,452

Which, you might even see liberals displaying when they meet and other patriotic things...such as with this guy who I would suppose you consider extremely far left...

bernie-sanders-george-washington-univers

They say pictures say 1,000 words...

But for the blind....they won't believe their own eyes...

PS - No idea how long the links will be up, but basically most show a LOT of Democrats waving the United States flag, and one which shows a bunch of protestors from 2000 who didn't like the changing of a Confederate flag and so they have a bunch of those flags with them.  Otherwise, it's just a bunch of US flags posted, most of which are being displayed by Democrats.

Edited by JohnsonJones

10 hours ago, Grunt said:

NH isn't Massachusetts.  The first time I walked through Boston in uniform I had a bottle thrown at me.  The cops picked me up and asked me if I was nuts to be walking through Cambridge in uniform.

This is true, NH is definitely NOT Massachusetts.  NH and Maine were some of the areas which my SIL said were really nice to come home from deployments at. 

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Oh...wait, maybe you meant this flag instead...because if we are going with stereotypes...

Well, DUH!

Is this also a leftist thing?  The inability to distinguish statements with group identity as the subject rather than individual identity?  I would say yes... after all... the American left are the ones weaponizing group identities - Reparations, Cultural Appropriation, White Privilege, Patriarchy etc. etc... using group identities to eliminate individual identities after fighting so hard for individual identities (Girls don't wear pink, Girls can STEM... I'm trans-girl because I like pink.  Sigh.)

"Filipinos eat balut".  True.  That statement doesn't become false just because my Filipino son doesn't eat balut.  Nor does it become false just because my American husband eats balut (he doesn't - just using an illustration).  You hear "Balut", Filipino comes with it.

Confederate Flag wavers are conservatives.  True.  I wish it wasn't.  It is really stupid.  It is not conservative to defend a flag whose purpose was to wave in battle against the US Constitution.

Flag desecrators are liberals.  True.  Which is another wierd thing when the preservation of 1A is a conservative thing.  Only in America do you find people who hate an act with a vengeance simultaneously defend the rights of people to do such act with the same vengeance.

3 hours ago, Grunt said:

Well, this thread became the "say crappy things about each other" thread.

Did it?  

If one says you're wearing red, and the other says you're wearing yellow, and the first one says you're wrong, and the other says no you're wrong... did it become a say crappy things about each other thread?

Or were you talking about something else?

35 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Did it?  

If one says you're wearing red, and the other says you're wearing yellow, and the first one says you're wrong, and the other says no you're wrong... did it become a say crappy things about each other thread?

Or were you talking about something else?

I consider it pretty crappy when we start calling each other liars, don't you?

31 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I consider it pretty crappy when we start calling each other liars, don't you?

Meh.  Maybe because English is only my 3rd language.  I don't see a problem with calling a spade a spade.  So, if somebody sees a lie, then I don't find it crappy at all when somebody calls them out on the lie.  Of course, if the person did not state a lie then he can debate the issue.

12 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Meh.  Maybe because English is only my 3rd language.  I don't see a problem with calling a spade a spade.  So, if somebody sees a lie, then I don't find it crappy at all when somebody calls them out on the lie.  Of course, if the person did not state a lie then he can debate the issue.

Maybe.  I consider it pretty crappy.   It certainly isn't "saying nice things about America"

Edited by Grunt

29 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Maybe.  I consider it pretty crappy.   It certainly isn't "saying nice things about America"

Well... this is a jamie series.  We've gone back and forth on his claims on these threads.  He says nice things about Brits and we challenge his claims, he says nice things about Americans and we challenge his claims.... that's how it's been going.  We're still neck deep in the first one on UK vs US cops.

49 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Well... this is a jamie series.  We've gone back and forth on his claims on these threads.  He says nice things about Brits and we challenge his claims, he says nice things about Americans and we challenge his claims.... that's how it's been going.  We're still neck deep in the first one on UK vs US cops.

I rather thought it was now about Republican vs. Democrat flags - so being neither I'm keeping out of it! :)

Edited by Jamie123

9 hours ago, Vort said:

So your response to being called out on your lie is to double down and lie some more? Seems a losing strategy.

I didn't lie, I even posted proof of it...but, seeing is not believing in some cases I suppose.

I'll not just double down, I'll repeat, waving and presenting and respecting the flag is NOT just a conservative thing.  It really IS an American thing to display and honor the flag.

I think you are getting confused and equating what a few Hollywood Celebrities or other such celebrities say and do and conflating it with the entirety of the United States who are not in your political persuasions.

There are a TON of various views in the United States.  Some more conservative, some more liberal.  MANY patriotic, regardless of whether they are conservative or liberal. 

One of the problems the US faces today (and I'd even say it pertains to some of the other nations out there, probably also the UK, though obviously not in regards to the US flag, but in regards to the political angst that can be found there as well these days) is that there is a great struggle to divide us between each other.  It is almost as if there are supernatural powers at work to try to make it so we turn brother against brother, sister against sister, and family in against itself.

But, under ONE flag, and ONE nation, if we really look at it, we are ALL in this together, and as it, instead of seeing people as liberals and conservatives, perhaps we should see each other as Americans.  When others from other political parties or religions fly the flag, instead of ignoring that and trying to pretend they don't exist, I think it is probably better to embrace it and see us as brothers and sisters in one nation for once, rather than accusing them of less patriotism because of a difference of political views when we ALL are standing and respecting the Flag of our nation.

My apologies to @JohnsonJones for saying that he lied. I don't know that he lied. That is not my call to make. I'm sincerely sorry.

My apologies also to @Jamie123 and to the rest of the list for introducing contention into this thread.

Edited by Vort

7 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

No need to apologise to me! :) I was just saying I had nothing to contribute.

Jamie, the way it's been going, the Republicans have been pro-Brexit while the Democrats have been pro-Remainers.  So I'm sure you still have a lot to contribute.

38 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Jamie, the way it's been going, the Republicans have been pro-Brexit while the Democrats have been pro-Remainers.  So I'm sure you still have a lot to contribute.

I voted remain, but only on a kind of "better the devil you know" basis. (I was suffering from metathesiophobia - fear of change.)

I was surprised, but not altogether disappointed by the result. Deep down, I've always thought we have a lot more in common with the US than with the rest of Europe. We should be strengthening ties with our former colonies - including the United States. So I suppose I've become a sort-of Republican.

Guest Scott
On 7/15/2020 at 10:07 AM, anatess2 said:

The USA is about the only country on the planet where desecrating the national flag is a PROTECTED right.  And there is no scarcity of Americans doing so.

In Denmark you can burn or desecrate the Denmark flag, but not a flag from any other nation.

Just in case you are interested in that tidbit.

Guest Scott
14 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Jamie, the way it's been going, the Republicans have been pro-Brexit while the Democrats have been pro-Remainers.  

True, but my own opinion is that we should stay completely out of it.  

On 7/18/2020 at 12:53 AM, Scott said:

In Denmark you can burn or desecrate the Denmark flag, but not a flag from any other nation.

Just in case you are interested in that tidbit.

That's what wikipedia says.  But that's not quite accurate.  Denmark law does not have the same structure as the US Constitution.  The US Constitution is structured such that freedoms originate from the people with specific enumerated rights protected by government.  Danish law (nor any other law, for that matter) is not structured in this manner.  Danish law is structured such that the authority rests on the government that doles out rights to the people. 

So here's how that affects the desecration of flags law:

USA - freedom of expression is a government-protected right.  SCOTUS has ruled that burning the flag falls under freedom of expression, therefore, it is a protected right.  The US government, therefore, has to protect that right and, therefore, no law, state or federal, can be made to prosecute such act without first disentangling desecration of the flag to freedom of expression.

Denmark (same in UK, actually) - freedom of expression is a right given by the government to the people.  There is no law on desecrating the Dannebrog nor the Union Jack.  Therefore, the government has not doled out such a right to the people nor do they protect such a right.  It is basically completely up to the government how they want to address each situation depending on how the winds of politics flow.  In short, Danes can burn the Dannebrog simply because of the fact that the Danish government chose to ignore it.