Reverse Boycott

Carborendum

I know that for the most part boycotts don't work.  There have been a few in history that did work because the tools were available.  But most of the time, they aren't available.

However, protests combined with boycotts have power given to them by the media.  And if the media hypes it, they boycotts gain enough steam that they could destroy a business.  (ex: Chick-fil-a in Britain).  What could have saved it is if enough conservatives came out to support Chick-fil-a (CFA) as they did in the US.  But there weren't enough conservatives in Britain to care about it.

In the US, however, we had a "reverse boycott" where Huckabee called on all conservatives to come out and support CFA by going there for lunch.  All across the country, people were waiting in lines out the door.  Businesses decided to use them to cater business lunches.  In our offices, we frequently had breakfasts every Friday catered by CFA. It eventually became the fastest growing restaurant chain in the country (world?).

Earlier in Texas, Julian Castro publicised a list of business owners who supported Trump.  And he encouraged a boycott of these businesses. Well, it backfired.  A particular BBQ chain, I believe was in the San Antonio area, which got several weeks of constant lines of customers.  Some were new customers who had never heard of them who just came to support the business.  They declared that if it weren't for the boycott, they never would have discovered how good their BBQ was.  Now they're frequent customers.  -- This happened to many of the businesses on the list.

And I'm sure you've all heard of Goya Foods today.

I believe these reverse boycotts do actually have a powerful effect (sometimes dampened by things like the quarantine) because of one quirk of human nature.  People don't know how to "NOT" do a thing.  They do know how to DO a thing.

Say I normally go to Burger King for my fast food fix.  Then I'm told to boycott it.  The human mind doesn't like being told stop doing something, or to figure out alternatives.  But if there is a good cause and all I have to do is "go to CFA for lunch"... You mean, all I have to do to support this good cause is to eat the yummiest chicken sandwich in the world?  Well, twist my arm a bit.

Today, we are in the middle of a minor famine because of the damage to the food chain.  But here is a low-priced food company with all the foods we normally like to eat.  And all we have to do to support a good cause is to buy that already low-priced, high quality product that I probably want anyway?  Well, twist my arm a bit.

Edited by Carborendum

6 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I know that for the most part boycotts don't work.  There have been a few in history that did work because the tools were available.  But most of the time, they aren't available.

However, protests combined with boycotts have power given to them by the media.  And if the media hypes it, they boycotts gain enough steam that they could destroy a business.  (ex: Chick-fil-a in Britain).  What could have saved it is if enough conservatives came out to support Chick-fil-a (CFA) as they did in the US.  But there weren't enough conservatives in Britain to care about it.

In the US, however, we had a "reverse boycott" where Huckabee called on all conservatives to come out and support CFA by going there for lunch.  All across the country, people were waiting in lines out the door.  Businesses decided to use them to cater business lunches.  In our offices, we frequently had breakfasts every Friday catered by CFA. It eventually became the fastest growing restaurant chain in the country (world?).

Earlier in Texas, Julian Castro publicised a list of business owners who supported Trump.  And they encouraged a boycott of these businesses. Well, it backfired.  A particular BBQ chain, I believe was in the San Antonio area, which got several weeks of constant lines of customers.  Some were new customers who had never heard of them who just came to support the business.  They declared that if it weren't for the boycott, they never would have discovered how good their BBQ was.  Now they're frequent customers.

And I'm sure you've all heard of Goya Foods today.

I believe these reverse boycotts do actually have a powerful effect (sometimes dampened by things like the quarantine) because of one quirk of human nature.  People don't know how to "NOT" do a thing.  They do know how to DO a thing.

Say I normally go to Burger King for my fast food fix.  Then I'm told to boycott it.  The human mind doesn't like being told stop doing something, or to figure out alternatives.  But if there is a good cause and all I have to do is "go to CFA for lunch"... You mean, all I have to do to support this good cause is to eat the yummiest chicken sandwich in the world?  Well, twist my arm a bit.

Today, we are in the middle of a minor famine because of the damage to the food chain.  But here is a low-priced food company with all the foods we normally like to eat.  And all we have to do to support a good cause is to buy that already low-priced, high quality product that I probably want anyway?  Well, twist my arm a bit.

For the record I am for intelligence - that means that we learn, make choices and alter our behavior.  I do not like to be manipulated concerning my personal choices.  I am somewhat of the mind that "going with the flow" or what is popular or in style for the moment is the opposite of intelligence.  I believe it was Michael Savage that coined the phrase or word - sheepeople.  This is a term for people that can be easily manipulated.   Of course there is always the idea of trying something new because of what others are doing - but making a life choice because of manipulation -- I believe to be contrary to intelligence and the very nature of G-d, his religion and his gift of agency to us.

The Traveler

15 minutes ago, Traveler said:

For the record I am for intelligence - that means that we learn, make choices and alter our behavior.  I do not like to be manipulated concerning my personal choices.  I am somewhat of the mind that "going with the flow" or what is popular or in style for the moment is the opposite of intelligence.  I believe it was Michael Savage that coined the phrase or word - sheepeople.  This is a term for people that can be easily manipulated.   Of course there is always the idea of trying something new because of what others are doing - but making a life choice because of manipulation -- I believe to be contrary to intelligence and the very nature of G-d, his religion and his gift of agency to us.

And when that becomes pertinent to the topic, I'll let you know.  In the meantime, thank you for your comment on the wetness of water.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

This, and the propensity of humans to form tribes (or teams).  We see something as "our tribe" and we flock to defend it... especially if it's not too much trouble to do so.

One thing about these businesses being cancelled by woke culture, though, is that they are good businesses.  Like, I don't think CFA would have retained all those new customers if they sucked.  The thing is, they are on top of the mountain on the customer service scale and you feel it.  So you come back just because you don't want to have to deal with the frustration of getting onions and pickles on your "do it your way, no onions, no pickles please" burger.

I don't know if there's a relationship between woke millennials and bad business.... there's probably a study on that already.  In any case, somebody thought a jobs board for non-woke businesses is a good idea.  Can't find the link right now.

50 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I don't know if there's a relationship between woke millennials and bad business.

I don't know about a study.  But I'll have to pass along what my daughter just shared with me yesterday.

Her boss (let's call her Jennifer) interviewed a potential new assistant manager (let's call him Tom) and said she had never experienced nor heard of anything quite this bad before.

In the interview, Jennifer asked the usual questions.  Then she got to the question of "so, why are you seeking employment here?" and "Why did you leave your last job?"  Tom gave a very interesting response.

Tom: My settlement with Burger King is running out, so I gotta find a job somewhere.
Jen: So, what settlement?
T: I had to sue them because of wrongful termination.
J: What was the suit about?
T: Oh, they were upset because I let my friends have free burgers all the time.  I mean, it's not like they were the chicken sandwiches.  Those things are expensive.
J: Does BK allow their employees a certain amount of free food?
T: Yeah, one value meal per shift.  But as an assistant manager, I am allowed to do more than that.
J: And you have a LOT of friends?
T: Of course.  They'd come by every day at lunchtime for their burger and I'd just let it pass by. 
J: And there was no limit on that?
T: No, and if the manager wasn't there, I'd let the employees do the same.  It's not like I'd tell the franchise owner or anything.  I'm the assistant manager, so I go their backs.

Jennifer gave him the usual "we'll let you know" speech.  And Tom got up and spoke as if he had nailed the interview and fully expected to get the job.  I'm sure he'll be surprised in a few days or weeks when he realizes that Jennifer was looking for someone a little different.

One guess what the lawsuit was about and why he got any money at all from it.

Edited by Carborendum

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

One guess what the lawsuit was about and why he won it.

Let me guess... he charged BK with racism or bigotry.

Same thing happened at the bank my husband worked for... they have this rainbow employee who, if I would have owned the company I would have fired within 5 minutes he has 0.5 on a scale of 1 to 100 work ethics.  But he's still there while half the department got laid off.

4 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Let me guess... he charged BK with racism or bigotry.

Same thing happened at the bank my husband worked for... they have this rainbow employee who, if I would have owned the company I would have fired within 5 minutes he has 0.5 on a scale of 1 to 100 work ethics.  But he's still there while half the department got laid off.

And counting down ... three ... two ... one ... we HAVE a threadjack...

On 7/17/2020 at 7:19 AM, Carborendum said:

And when that becomes pertinent to the topic, I'll let you know.  In the meantime, thank you for your comment on the wetness of water.

Being motivated by a "reverse boycott" is no more "intelligent" than being motivated by a boycott - or any other kind of collusion.   Agency is the essence of the power to determine one actions - not reactions.  For example - a kind persons is not someone that returns kindness when treated kindly.  A kind person is kind regardless of the actions of kindness or unkindness by others.   Sorry I was not clear.  

The Traveler

21 hours ago, Traveler said:

Being motivated by a "reverse boycott" is no more "intelligent" than being motivated by a boycott - or any other kind of collusion.

So, you're considering a "boycott" (or reverse boycott) a type of collusion? You do know the meaning of the word (collusion) right?  Please look it up and see if you want to re-word what you're trying to say.

Edited by Carborendum

9 hours ago, Plein Air said:

I have seen websites where "christians" can find business owned by evil people such as members of our church and others so they can boycott them. There are also liberal sites calling to boycott businesses owned by "Mormon" church members.   

Yeay, capitalism.

9 hours ago, Plein Air said:

----------------------------

A little help here - what is CFA?

Chik-Fil-A

On 7/20/2020 at 7:02 AM, Carborendum said:

So, you're considering a "boycott" (or reverse boycott) a type of collusion? You do know the meaning of the word (collusion) right?  Please look it up and see if you want to re-word what you're trying to say.

I consider any temptation to replace agency (outside influences as the prime determination of one's actions) as a type of collusion - perhaps even "secret" and deceptive methods to cheat a person from self determined actions.  This comes from lessons of my youth from my parents - doing even the right things but for the wrong reasons is not an act of righteousness or intelligence.

The Traveler

There was boycott years ago which I think has had almost zero effect on any change whatsoever.

Target, several years ago, chose to make it so that Bathrooms could be entered by anyone.  Women's restrooms could be entered by any male simply by that male stating they were a woman.  There was a call to Boycott Target, which I joined.  I think Target is booming in business these days, they definitely are not suffering or changing their policies because of it.

It would have been nice if the boycott could have gotten them to rectify the policy somewhat, but as of current, I have not heard that it had any effect or that they have any plans to change their directives in that application of rules.

In physics we learn that it requires effort to create and maintain a vacuum.  If you do not put forth the effort to maintain it, it will quickly become corrupted by whatever it can pull in.

It seems in  that psychology we have something similar.  Ask anyone trying to break a habit or addiction if they just stop they create a type of "vacuum" that makes it very very hard to break free.  They almost always have to substitute something else in.

It seem that boycotts that are a simple "stop doing something" fall into this "vacuum" category.  Therefore they do not last unless they are very well organized and can maintain the effort or they switch something else in.  Boycotts against things like Goya, Target or Nike, if they are not part of your life then you have already boycotted them, if they are then to start boycotting them you really have to replace them.  Stopping would only last as long as an individual's will power.

Which is why I think the more effective ways do not appear to be ones that ask/tell/demand that we stop, but rather ones that redirect and replace. 

Edited by estradling75