Masks

pam

Masks Filter or No Filters  

8 members have voted

1. 1. When purchasing a mask which do you prefer?

• Mask with pocket for filter
    • Mask without pocket for filter
    • Doesn't matter

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/06/20 at 12:27 AM

Curious as to what the preference is.  It's a business question for me.  This is not open for debate of masks vs no masks.  Those comments will be deleted.

I’m actually amazed the difference the fit of a mask makes. 

I personally perfer a custom homemade cloth one to best fit my face.  Having the nose point / wire really helps the fit and prevents my glasses from fogging  up. 

And having a cool fabric design also makes things bit nicer. 

Edited by Jane_Doe

If I have to do it, I might as well revert to my early teen immaturities and enjoy things.  I've been waiting my whole life to have Halloween across half the year, finally get my wish.  So mine are decorative/kitschy.  I have glasses.  It is a struggle to not have any kind not fog them up.

Daughter likes the tube mask things, other daughter and wife likes the hand-made chicken ones someone sent us.

17 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

I personally perfer a custom homemade cloth one to best fit my face.  Having the nose point / wire really helps the fit and prevents my glasses from fogging  up. 

I started an etsy shop and I've been busy sewing masks this weekend.  I was curious as to preference of most because I can make one without the pocket in about 15 minutes but the pocket one takes me about 40.  

3 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

If I have to do it, I might as well revert to my early teen immaturities and enjoy things.  I've been waiting my whole life to have Halloween across half the year, finally get my wish.  So mine are decorative/kitschy.  I have glasses.  It is a struggle to not have any kind not fog them up.

Daughter likes the tube mask things, other daughter and wife likes the hand-made chicken ones someone sent us.

I'm seriously with you.  My thought is if we have to wear them we might as well have some fun.  I have some from tacos, to Eggos, to mardi gras masks on fabric to cactus and llamas.  Got my holiday fabrics out of my storage unit to start on those eventually.

12 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

My wife made two cloth/denim masks for each family member. They're my favorite. 

3 hours ago, pam said:

I started an etsy shop and I've been busy sewing masks this weekend.  I was curious as to preference of most because I can make one without the pocket in about 15 minutes but the pocket one takes me about 40.  

My sister also started up an Etsy thing too- it’s been a good way to supplement employment.  We also have enjoyed it with having so many personalized options.

Im not sure what you mean by “pocket”. 

3 hours ago, pam said:

I'm seriously with you.  My thought is if we have to wear them we might as well have some fun.  I have some from tacos, to Eggos, to mardi gras masks on fabric to cactus and llamas.  Got my holiday fabrics out of my storage unit to start on those eventually.

Amen!

My wife made some for us, then continued to make some for the entire family.  She included a washeable filter in each mask so there was no need to replace the filter...though I wonder how long they last this way.

A pocket to replace the filters in it probably would be useful as well.  If we want to replace the filter currently, she would have to clip it open and then resew it closed with a new filter.

In that way, I suppose spending the time to put in a pocket to easily replace a filter may be a good investment of time.  So far, her masks seem to have worked nicely.

4 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

My wife includes a wire across the top of the mask which you can pinch closed in such a way that it does not fog up one's glasses if they are wearing them. It could be helpful to try to include a wire on top.  I think she uses either copper wire (thin wire for crafts and such) or really long paperclips...I'm leaning more towards the art wire rather than paperclips though.

1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

My sister also started up an Etsy thing too- it’s been a good way to supplement employment.  We also have enjoyed it with having so many personalized options.

Im not sure what you mean by “pocket”. 

Amen!

IMG_9726.jpg

Probably not what you’re getting at, but . . .

I’ve been hankering after a Trend stealth mask to use in my workshop for a while, and finally broke down and ordered one two weeks ago.  It is unexpectedly comfortable—good air flow, you don’t get that “stuffy” mask feeling at all.  The only drawback is that does make it hard for others to hear what I’m saying.

• 2 weeks later...

I received some in March that have a pocket for a filter at the top and a copper wire to be shaped to the nose.  I don't put a filter in.  I hand wash them because my washer agitates so hard it will literally tie two long sleeved shirts in knots.  At least one of them (they're all the same design, so hard to tell them apart), the pocket for the filter is starting to get some loose stitching  around the pocket.  They each get worn and washed at least once a week, sometimes twice.  They're the only ones I had from March until the beginning of July, so I don't have much to compare them to in terms of wearing out.

On 8/2/2020 at 1:21 PM, pam said:

Filtered masks, like the ones we got from Korea, are known overseas as N-85. They are not quite as effective as N-95s (which protect the wearer 95%), but they are much better than cloth or paper ones, which only protect others--not the wearer.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:05 AM, Just_A_Guy said:

Probably not what you’re getting at, but . . .

I’ve been hankering after a Trend stealth mask to use in my workshop for a while, and finally broke down and ordered one two weeks ago.  It is unexpectedly comfortable—good air flow, you don’t get that “stuffy” mask feeling at all.  The only drawback is that does make it hard for others to hear what I’m saying.

Which I'm sure your kids love.