The "November: Hooray for elections and a free people" thread

NeuroTypical

I have some buddies on the left who are making me think a thread like this is timely and necessary.

To start out on the right foot: 

Article of Faith #12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

I'm worried about the upcoming election.  
- If Trump wins, the 'rise up against oppression by burning down our own cities' folks will be energized and grow (hopefully for just a short time).
- If Vice President Kamala Harris (and Joe) wins, well, you've got a lot of folks ticked off at inadequate government response to rioting, and a lot of folks ticked off at executive public health orders.  Should we get more blue in charge, and less government standing against rioting, I expect to see an increase of people taking things into their own hands.  
- No matter who wins, if the results are in question because of election fraud, well, losing faith in our institutions weakens us as a nation.  Remember Gore vs. Bush decided by the supreme court?  Think about that, but people are in the streets lighting crap on fire and shooting at each other.  Not good.

So, in an effort to help mitigate all that, I'm starting this thread to tackle hoaxes and dumbness.

Hoax and dumbness #1: "Trump has put a 10' concrete wall around the White House in order to stay in office."  Pushing this notion is meant to make the president look like a banana republic dictator, unjustly ruling in defiance of the public will.  The reality, is that plans for this latest construction, with new anti-climb features, were started back in Obama's 2nd term.  Cool history of the White House perimeter, involving Nixon, Clinton, GWB, and Obama: Business Insider - The White House is building a massive 'anti-climb' wall following protests. These photos show the evolution of White House fencing over the years

10 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I have some buddies on the left who are making me think a thread like this is timely and necessary.

To start out on the right foot: 

I'm worried about the upcoming election.  
- If Trump wins, the 'rise up against oppression by burning down our own cities' folks will be energized and grow (hopefully for just a short time).
- If Vice President Kamala Harris (and Joe) wins, well, you've got a lot of folks ticked off at inadequate government response to rioting, and a lot of folks ticked off at executive public health orders.  Should we get more blue in charge, and less government standing against rioting, I expect to see an increase of people taking things into their own hands.  
- No matter who wins, if the results are in question because of election fraud, well, losing faith in our institutions weakens us as a nation.  Remember Gore vs. Bush decided by the supreme court?  Think about that, but people are in the streets lighting crap on fire and shooting at each other.  Not good.

So, in an effort to help mitigate all that, I'm starting this thread to tackle hoaxes and dumbness.

Hoax and dumbness #1: "Trump has put a 10' concrete wall around the White House in order to stay in office."  Pushing this notion is meant to make the president look like a banana republic dictator, unjustly ruling in defiance of the public will.  The reality, is that plans for this latest construction, with new anti-climb features, were started back in Obama's 2nd term.  Cool history of the White House perimeter, involving Nixon, Clinton, GWB, and Obama: Business Insider - The White House is building a massive 'anti-climb' wall following protests. These photos show the evolution of White House fencing over the years

We know that life will be exciting during the last-days.  I suggest that we all worry less about how an election will turn our and more about being loyal to our covenants with G-d - including maintaining our homes as a holy place to stand.

The Traveler

Yep.  One of the ways I'm loyal to my covenants, and maintain my home as a holy place to stand, is by being involved in local, state, national, and global affairs and politics.  Or, to put it differently, to sit quiet and not speak/act during these troubling times, would be a fine way to be disloyal to my covenants, and fail to respond to a threat against maintaining my home as a holy place to stand.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/religious-values-in-the-public-square

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/mormon-apostle-encourages-civic-participation

3 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yep.  One of the ways I'm loyal to my covenants, and maintain my home as a holy place to stand, is by being involved in local, state, national, and global affairs and politics.  Or, to put it differently, to sit quiet and not speak/act during these troubling times, would be a fine way to be disloyal to my covenants, and fail to respond to a threat against maintaining my home as a holy place to stand.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/religious-values-in-the-public-square

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/mormon-apostle-encourages-civic-participation

If I could find someone worthy to be supported - I would support them and be involved in the current campaign.   I have grown quite weary of politicians that promise to represent Utah and then, at a critical point - decide instead to vote their conscience.   I have volunteered and worked for free as a lobbyists on many issues.   I have even partnered with the Utah atheists society to end smoking at family establishments that include catering towards children.   My civic participation currently amounts to publicly declaring that campaign financing and the seniority system in congress is out of control and can no longer be trusted by those that intend to preserve freedom and liberty. 

The Traveler

I keep trying to build up my food storage stocks.  Presently I believe we are up to 120 days of food storage and we have a water purification system that will make a few thousand gallons of water drinkable.  My wife's health is not good so it is hard to build up more food storage as we are spending thousands of dollars now on treatments trying to get her well.  But we will keep trying and working toward a six month supply of food storage.

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

My civic participation currently amounts to publicly declaring that campaign financing and the seniority system in congress is out of control and can no longer be trusted by those that intend to preserve freedom and liberty. 

Totally understand.  I think my deal with this thread is just trying to bolster the notion that free elections are important.  That choosing our local/county/state/federal leaders, even if presented with bad choices, is far superior than having leaders imposed on us.  It's a system worth preserving.  

So no, Trump isn't building a 10 foot wall around the White House because he's planning on tyranically holding on to power no matter what.  The history of protecting the White House from violence has a long and interesting history, and the current construction is just a part of the continuing history kicked off in July 2016.

3 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

I keep trying to build up my food storage stocks.  Presently I believe we are up to 120 days of food storage and we have a water purification system that will make a few thousand gallons of water drinkable.  My wife's health is not good so it is hard to build up more food storage as we are spending thousands of dollars now on treatments trying to get her well.  But we will keep trying and working toward a six month supply of food storage.

You may be able to save money by investing in a cash of arms and munitions.   Then keep a list of ward and stake members that brag about their food supplies.

Now I will apologize for my sick sarcasm in the midst of such tumultuous times.  Usually I am strong enough to resist everything but temptation.

The Traveler