The power and keys of ministry

Jonah

In a communication to Peter, the verses say "Yea, he has undertaken a greater work; therefore 
I will make him as flaming fire and a ministering angel; he shall minister for those who shall 
be heirs of salvation who dwell on the earth.  And I will make thee to minister for him and 
for thy brother James; and unto you three I will give this power and the keys of this ministry 
until I come
"

Why would John minister for all those on earth whereas Peter would minister for John and 
James?

1 hour ago, Jonah said:

In a communication to Peter, the verses say "Yea, he has undertaken a greater work; therefore 
I will make him as flaming fire and a ministering angel; he shall minister for those who shall 
be heirs of salvation who dwell on the earth.  And I will make thee to minister for him and 
for thy brother James; and unto you three I will give this power and the keys of this ministry 
until I come
"

Why would John minister for all those on earth whereas Peter would minister for John and 
James?

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we understand that Peter, James and John were apostles of Jesus Christ.  But here we learn that these three are called to a greater ministry that other apostles.  One of the miss queues of the Catholic, Orthodox, Nestorian and other Christians that trace their origins to the first century AD.   Is that Peter alone held the keys of ministry to the Church of G-d.  Though Peter was senior (minister to James and John) the 3 were necessary to restore the ministry to the "Kingdom" (or church) in the last-days before the Messiah could come in his Glory.

The Traveler

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 12:50 PM, Jonah said:

until I come
"

James?

John was the Apostle who asked to not die, but minister to the people until the Millenium.

On 9/7/2020 at 2:50 PM, Jonah said:

until I come
"

James?

Jesus was naming Peter as the earthly head of the Church (the minister -- we would call him the Prophet or President of the Church).   But when the apostles were all killed, no one had the keys of the ministry anymore other than John who was allowed to "tarry".

On 9/7/2020 at 1:50 PM, Jonah said:

James?

Because John was the one that asked for it and it was granted.  Here are the verses prior to the ones you quote:

1 And the Lord said unto me: John, my beloved, what desirest thou? For if you shall ask what you will, it shall be granted unto you.

2 And I said unto him: Lord, give unto me power over death, that I may live and bring souls unto thee.

3 And the Lord said unto me: Verily, verily, I say unto thee, because thou desirest this thou shalt tarry until I come in my glory, and shalt prophesy before nations, kindreds, tongues and people.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/7.1-3?lang=eng#p0

On 9/7/2020 at 3:50 PM, Jonah said:

until I come
"

James?

It seems to me that the power and keys of "this ministry", by virtue of the presiding power and keys to bind and loose in heaven and on earth, allow for these apostles to have primary focus areas or assignments, some ministering for those in heaven, some for those in earth, and some for both. Peter ministers (i.e. presides--the master is the servant) for James and John.

Edited by CV75

On 9/7/2020 at 1:50 PM, Jonah said:

until I come
"

James?

James was John’s brother, not Peter’s.  The last sentence in the quotation you offer represents a shift in audience.  It is John, not Peter, who is to be a minister for the other two; perhaps because John who—unlike the other two—will not die, and therefore can do things and go to places and times that the other two simply can’t. 

Edited by Just_A_Guy