How bad might the 2020 elections be for religious liberty?

prisonchaplain

"Religious Liberty" is a cover for racist and homophobic policies. Membership in pro-life groups, such as the Knights of Columbus, are cause for rejection from government jobs. Old writings that favor religious institutions over individuals expressing pro-LGBT opinions are also disqualifiers, demands that religious institutions of higher learning provide LGBT housing on campus, prosecution against religious entities that refuse to offer same-sex wedding accommodation, etc. All of these trial balloons have already been floated. Should the election this year turn in a certain direction just how bad might it become for people of faith--especially those of us with traditional sexual mores?

16 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

"Religious Liberty" is a cover for racist and homophobic policies. Membership in pro-life groups, such as the Knights of Columbus, are cause for rejection from government jobs. Old writings that favor religious institutions over individuals expressing pro-LGBT opinions are also disqualifiers, demands that religious institutions of higher learning provide LGBT housing on campus, prosecution against religious entities that refuse to offer same-sex wedding accommodation, etc. All of these trial balloons have already been floated. Should the election this year turn in a certain direction just how bad might it become for people of faith--especially those of us with traditional sexual mores?

My dear friend - I realize that we are of different religious stripe but the Book of Mormon is something quite unique and special as divine revelation concerning our day.  Specifically, we are given "types and shadows" that apply to believers in Christ and what will happen when he will come.  Using the prophetic types and shadows from the Book of Helaman and the book of 3Nephi (which I suggest you not only read but study) deal directly with "Religious Liberty".  That a time will come that all holding to believe in G-d and Christ will be put to death under the law (by decree).  I do not believe we are given these prophetic types and shadows that we might avoid them but that when the time comes we are spiritually prepared to face them and put our trust in our covenants with G-d - rather than who we vote for in an election.

I understand that as long as there are even 10 covenant believers in - say a city - that G-d will preserve that city or society.  But when the covenant believers are driven out or led by away - then those that remain are "ripe" for destruction.   The initial epoch of Lehi leaving Jerusalem also is a type and shadow - that includes those that remained in Jerusalem (even though faithful to the traditions) were taken into bondage for a season.

The Traveler

When it comes to prophecies and revelation, the example of the Apostle Paul resonates. Through spiritual giftings Paul is told that if he continues towards Rome he'll end up in chains and experience much suffering. As a result of these utterances the brothers and sisters urge him not to go. Paul first endorses the prophetic words. They are from God. Nevertheless, he believes he's also received his commission to indeed go to Rome. So, the prophecies were true, but how to respond remained the question. At this point, the congregation resorts to practicality and caution. Paul has already received his revelation, and chooses to follow through with what the Lord has given him, though with greater spiritual preparation for the hardships to come.

Likewise, end times prophesies point to both spiritual awakening and trials/tribulations. We do well to prepare both for the harvesting of souls and for troubles. Then again, if prayers, supplications, and devotion can spare a generation from judgment I'm all-in.