Alma 30:7-11

Fether

On 9/9/2020 at 3:10 PM, Jonah said:

How do you understand these verses?

Hosea 12:2 - The Lord hath also a controversy with Judah, and will punish Jacob according 
to his ways; according to his doings will he recompense him

Amos 3:2  - You only have I known of all the families of the earth: therefore I will punish 
you for all your iniquities.

Do you believe God blesses someone for obedience?

In short I believe the LDS doctrine that the principles of a covenant are associated with the law which binds our covenants with G-d.  In other words G-d does not apply blessings outside of the principles of the law that defines the covenant.  The same applies to punishments or maledictions.   Allow me to illustrate.  If you go to a dealer a purchase a car you make a covenant and agreement to pay for the car.  When you have completed the payment they car becomes yours.  Though we call this a blessing it is the essence of completing or being obedient to one's covenant.  If you fail to complete your payment they whatever the contract contained will be enforced.  Which may become a total loss of any payments made in addition to the loss of the car.  These are not really punishments - they are the results of the contractual agreement made.

Often in religious context it is believed that someone may receive a blessing just because G-d likes them and some other person does not receive a blessing but a punishment just because G-d does not like them.  This concept of blessing and punishment was quite prevalent in many pagan religions like the worship of Baal.  In the religion of Baal it was believed that by "paying" or making a payment to Baal - one could win his approval and with that approval one could be saved by Baal and allowed into heaven.  But those that did not purchase Baal's approval would end up in hell.   

As I understand Christian doctrine - G-d is just as well as merciful.  His mercy does not rob justice and as a just G-d - his blessing and curses are not metered out according to pleasure but according to truth and justice.  I believe G-d commands us for our benefit but that all things from him are according to covenant.  This is another reason that I love the understanding of a pre-existence.  Because we can understand that this life and all that befalls us is according to our covenant made with G-d before we were born.  

The Traveler

On 9/15/2020 at 6:43 PM, Traveler said:

His mercy does not rob justice and as a just G-d - his blessing and curses are not metered out according to pleasure but according to truth and justice.

I can agree with that.

But do you believe God blesses someone for disobedience?

• pam unfeatured this topic