Who has gone back to church at the building?

carlimac

On 11/6/2020 at 1:25 PM, NeuroTypical said:

That said, it's stake conference weekend, and we're showing the stake broadcast in our ward buildings, and inviting 3 wards to my building at the same time.   

Well, the stake broadcast 3 sessions at 4 buildings.  The first two sessions were mostly empty - nobody showed up to my building and one other.  The main Sunday AM general session had around 40 people from 3 wards show up, with 370 viewing remotely.

Makes sense.  Denver and Pueblo (to the north and south of us) have gone on nighttime curfew because of COVID. 

Well, I just got a surprise at stake conference.  I had mentioned that we're "nearly back to normal." 

During Stake Conference, the stake President mentioned that he has given the judgement of the safety protocols to the ward leadership to decide.  He specifically "didn't mention" our ward by name, but then named our ward as a ward that he still loves...

Apparently, we're way out front of the ball compared to other wards in our stake.  Many others still aren't holding regular meetings. 

The stake-wide standard is that everyone is still encouraged to come to the regular meetinghouse for the Sacrament.  Only those with bonafide health concerns are allowed to administer at home.  But we're the only ward who is having second hour meetings as normal meetings now.  And we are the only ones holding weekly activities for youth, etc.

At the stake conference, I noticed everyone was wearing masks except for about half or more of the members of our ward.

So, yeah, our ward is apparently not the standard throughout the Church.

More COVID cases:

• A family in our old ward has COVID, the father is in the hospital.
  • My BIL and his family have COVID.  It is like a level 4 (out of 10) flu.  But he has lost his sense of taste.  He's hoping to get it back in a few months.
Edited by Carborendum

My ward: doesn't do anything digital and has a lot of folks opposed to masking.  I don't feel comfortable attending in person.

My parent's ward does the Zoom and half the alphabet's invited to attend in person thing.   Knowing my situation, my parents forward me their Zoom link and it's... been very nice.  I really enjoy seeing others, even when it's people I don't know.  And it's really awesome when somebody in my family is speaking: I get to see their talk, hear their thoughts, and chat about it with them afterwards.  

Our ward is interesting - we are a newly wed and nearly dead ward.  Meaning that we are a ward of empty nesters and young families with small children.  There are very few teenagers (young men and young women) in our ward.  Our ward holds one meeting that is just over 1/2 hour that is open to the ward and on Zoom.  After the meeting the Sacrament is presented.  The second hour meetings are all held outside the ward building and can only be attended exclusively by Zoom.

It is interesting that about 80% of those that addend the Sabbath meeting are us empty nester types.

As some already know - I am recovered from COVID (last month).  This Sunday I informed the priesthood leadership that at least for now I am safe; both from getting COVID or passing it on to anyone.  If there is anyone in the ward (with or without COVID) in need of ministering service that I am willing and glad to be of assistance.  All in home ministering has been suspended and I have not been involved in any service for about 1 and 1/2 months.  It just does not feel right currently.

I have pondered and believe that Satan is doing all he can to minimize and slow temple work and end vicarious work for the dead.  Certainly these are the last days - I do not believe Satan has ever had such power to keep Saints from the temples.  I am impressed that when COVID has passed that Satan has a "plan B" ready.  That as Latter-day Saint we ought to keep this in mind and prepare for the miracles that are about to unfold. 

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

6 hours ago, Traveler said:

Our ward is interesting - we are a newly wed and nearly dead ward.  Meaning that we are a ward of empty nesters and young families with small children.  There are very few teenagers (young men and young women) in our ward.  Our ward holds one meeting that is just over 1/2 hour that is open to the ward and on Zoom.  After the meeting the Sacrament is presented.  The second hour meetings are all held outside the ward building and can only be attended exclusively by Zoom.

It is interesting that about 80% of those that addend the Sabbath meeting are us empty nester types.

As some already know - I am recovered from COVID (last month).  This Sunday I informed the priesthood leadership that at least for now I am safe; both from getting COVID or passing it on to anyone.  If there is anyone in the ward (with or without COVID) in need of ministering service that I am willing and glad to be of assistance.  All in home ministering has been suspended and I have not been involved in any service for about 1 and 1/2 months.  It just does not feel right currently.

I have pondered and believe that Satan is doing all he can to minimize and slow temple work and end vicarious work for the dead.  Certainly these are the last days - I do not believe Satan has ever had such power to keep Saints from the temples.  I am impressed that when COVID has passed that Satan has a "plan B" ready.  That as Latter-day Saint we ought to keep this in mind and prepare for the miracles that are about to unfold. 

The Traveler

We could assume that, though sometimes I wonder if the Lord is actually trying to send a message to the Church.  Perhaps the fault is, in some way, with the Church and it's members and how it is going and doing things as to why physical measures were taken to halt the work in the temples.  He may be hoping that we take note of our own sins and faults and change direction before more drastic measures need to be taken.

We have been told we are under condemnation before (under Ezra Taft Benson) and though many may be reading the Book of Mormon today, there may be many other areas in which the Saints have gotten far more lax, or changed the commandments to their understanding rather than his understanding in which has made it so that we need to repent and change before worse things occur.  The closing of the temples may only be a precursor or warning to us to stop the evil or whatever we are doing.

Instead of blaming the world, perhaps we should look inward to what the Church is doing in regards to why the temples are closed and seek to make inward changes?

1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

We could assume that, though sometimes I wonder if the Lord is actually trying to send a message to the Church.  Perhaps the fault is, in some way, with the Church and it's members and how it is going and doing things as to why physical measures were taken to halt the work in the temples.  He may be hoping that we take note of our own sins and faults and change direction before more drastic measures need to be taken.

We have been told we are under condemnation before (under Ezra Taft Benson) and though many may be reading the Book of Mormon today, there may be many other areas in which the Saints have gotten far more lax, or changed the commandments to their understanding rather than his understanding in which has made it so that we need to repent and change before worse things occur.  The closing of the temples may only be a precursor or warning to us to stop the evil or whatever we are doing.

Instead of blaming the world, perhaps we should look inward to what the Church is doing in regards to why the temples are closed and seek to make inward changes?

I am quite sure that there is a great need for temples - and that there never has been a time of greater righteousness in sure numbers (righteousness meaning those that covenant with G-d in His sacred temples).  I have often pondered that if the Saints has remained in the United States that they would have been wiped out in the Civil War.  I believe Satan had hold of many hearts of the enemies of the struggling Church - and though many members died coming West it was better for the church in the long run.  And so I ponder what will yet befall the Saints?  I do not think it was meant to always be ward parties and green jell-o.  I believe that the more righteous the Saints the more the forces of evil will gather against them (us?).

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler