Halloween Cancelled?

hzdbl5

I've started seeing memes, posts, etc. on social media about Halloween having been cancelled.  Discussions have begun to identify work around strategies to this supposed tyranny.  I'm confused.  I've not heard anything that I'd consider official say anything at all about Halloween let alone saying it's been cancelled.  I checked my city's web site where I see there are seasonal activities scheduled but will have masks, social distancing, etc.  No indication about Halloween having been cancelled.  Local stores carry all the goods one would expect at this time of year.  It seems all systems go.

What gives?

Speaking as a mom:

Our traditional activities for a Halloween are old school trick or treating, and new school haunted halls type things.  Both of these are a lot of fun and involve lots of people (especially kids) being crowded and putting hands all over things. That’s... just not feasible in 2020.

So on to figuring out the new plan!  

Which is a work in progress.  We’re just not going to even try our traditional things.  I’m debating new-to-us things.  Like having in-our-house trick or treating, with stuffed animals acting as the candy and activity givers.

In my neighborhood, Halloween has been a moot point for several years now. The neighborhood's getting older as the kids grow up and move away rather than moving into other homes as they become open, and so fewer and fewer kids have come each year. 

I fully expect Publisher's Clearinghouse to come on Halloween (since that's when they're doing a big contest) before any kids do. 

Our usual Halloween stuff:

- Trunk or treat at the ward: Most likely not going to happen.
- Everyone at work dressing up their cubes and everyone's spouses and wives walk the halls: Absolutely not going to happen - 85% of us were sent home to work remotely.
- "Boo at the Zoo" - Looks like this will still be happening, with reduced admittance.
- Any other random thing that comes along: I wouldn't be surprised if nothing else comes along.  Chipotle free burrito for everyone who comes in costume?  Maybe not this year.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still decorating for Halloween.... you know jack o lanterns, ghosts, orange, purple, black and green things..... I'm not into walking dead zombies, corpses, severed heads, etc..... and smiling pumpkins might just bring joy to someone's life who is fighting to find something normal amongst the chaos. And from what I have heard, our downtown businesses are still going to have their trick or treat activity for children. Only 2 hours and doing it  "safely", but they are going to try to bring some sense of normality to the community.

Yay!  The Zoo is doing their usual Halloween stuff, with limited attendance, and we've got tickets!

And, our ward is doing their usual Trunk or Treat, just doing outside only, and cutting the potluck/chili cook off.  

Yay!  2 of the 3 usual family traditions are happening (in some form) this year!