Presidential Debate - Tomorrow

NeedleinA

9 hours ago, estradling75 said:

I predict that the Republicans will say that Trump won the debates and the Democrats will say Biden won.

Safe prediction, but true. 👍
Neither one is perfect.
We all get a chance to see them for who they are without news outlets/social media 'telling' us who they are and what we should think.

37 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Safe prediction, but true. 👍
Neither one is perfect.
We all get a chance to see them for who they are without news outlets/social media 'telling' us who they are and what we should think.

My track record in predictions have been abysmal... So much so that I am starting to make predictions that I hope to be proven wrong on..  Sadly it seems whatever fate controls these things wants me to be wrong... even if it has to make me right to do so  :D

President Trump was out of control tonight and interrupted Biden non-stop, even during the 2 minutes of uninterrupted time each candidate was supposed to have. it was beyond ridiculous and extremely annoying. Wallace, a poor choice as a moderator. President Trump took over and that was it.

It was an absolute mess.

On the other hand . . .

One could argue that Trump gave Biden merely a ramped-up version of the treatment Biden gave Paul Ryan in the 2012 VP debate—interrupting, repeating blatant falsehoods, engaging in personal smears, deliberately avoiding substantive policy discussions . . .

Ben Shapiro tonight asserted that Trump (figuratively) isn’t the murderer, he’s just the coroner; and when people see him putting the body in the fridge they assume he’s the reason the person died.  I think Trump’s role in the death of the American body politic has been somewhat more active than Shapiro’s metaphor suggests . . . but, perhaps, not by very much.  

I agree, it was a sloppy mess.
Biden practiced/rehearsed for weeks on this thing and Trump did his "wing" it thing. Both performed about the same.

My mother wishes the Savior would come down and save the world right now.
While that would be nice and I look forward to that day, until then we are all trying to figure out who, of our imperfect choices, will do the better job. Better just means better of the two options.

I am a fan of what Trump fights for vs. who Trump is. I have to look past Trump himself and believe, given my two options, he will do the best for our country. It is not perfect, just the reality of where I find myself.

It sounded like an all out brawl (well, speaking brawl) with a full on argument going between two people who came to argue rather than discuss.

It wasn't a debate, it was basically them yelling at each other.  I found it rather absurd.  I was listening to it via the radio and there were times that I couldn't tell who was talking, Trump or Biden.  Both were so argumentative that they sort of meshed together when you couldn't see which one was actually doing the talking.

I feel like I was watching another debate based on these comments. Biden had a couple of moments with the "clown" and "shut up, man" moments, I give you all that... but overall Trump was out of himself and he was the one who constantly interrupted Biden (perhaps more than 80 times) and even argued and disregarded the moderator. Absolutely unacceptable. Maybe this strategy worked to win the first election but will it be enough to win the second?

21 minutes ago, Suzie said:

Maybe this strategy worked to win the first election but will it be enough to win the second?

I don't think the debates are going to change much in the way of the vote.  Most people have already decided who they are voting for.

53 minutes ago, Suzie said:

I feel like I was watching another debate based on these comments. Biden had a couple of moments with the "clown" and "shut up, man" moments, I give you all that... but overall Trump was out of himself and he was the one who constantly interrupted Biden (perhaps more than 80 times) and even argued and disregarded the moderator. Absolutely unacceptable. Maybe this strategy worked to win the first election but will it be enough to win the second?

It’ll rally the base, who have long thought that debate mods were outrageously biased and that Biden himself is a miserable SOB who deserves everything Trump gave him last night and more.

But, no; it won’t change any minds and it won’t grow conservatism.

24 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

It’ll rally the base, who have long thought that debate mods were outrageously biased and that Biden himself is a miserable SOB who deserves everything Trump gave him last night and more.

But, no; it won’t change any minds and it won’t grow conservatism.

If anything, last night's debate probably swayed some swing voters away from Trump. I'm not saying that Biden did anything to win people over, he didn't. But he didn't really have to do anything other than show up, keep gaffes to a minimum, and let Trump be Trump.

1 hour ago, Suzie said:

I agree with @Scott and @Just_A_Guy.  We were polarized in the last election and Trump won.  We are still polarized.  Those that voted for Trump before knew what they were getting and Trump consistently delivered that including in this Debate.  Thus it does not seem like Trump has lost any of his prior support, and if he doesn't then he wins... again.

Biden most likely has all of Hilary's voters.  But that is demonstrably not enough.  He needs to pull away Trump's voters and Trump being Trump is was not enough last time and it is not enough this time to do so.  He needs to get the 3rd party voters who are hard to get while holding your base, he needs to get the first time voter, and didn't vote last timers.

As a 3rd party voter I know I am feeling no desire to vote Biden.  And I know a young first time voter who feels very betrayed that the Dems went Biden instead someone more radical.  For Biden to win he needs to do more then rally his base... he needs to pull in more.

I think this is about the worst debate I have ever attempted to watch.  Sorry I could not stand watching most of it.  It is obvious to me that these two (I am lost for any description of either of them) are unfit to run a country that is suppose to be the flagship of the free world.  I guess the biggest disappointment to me was Trump.  I thought he had an IQ above room temperature.   I was quite sure that Biden is an idiot on stupid steroids so there was nothing new about Biden - what you see is what you get and this is not a complement by any means.

The other disappointment was Chris Wallace.  His modus operandi seems to let anybody say anything they want and leave it up to the world to try to translate.  He was woefully unfit to run this debate.   The USA is hopelessly divided and there was nothing in this debate that gave me any hope that this election will do anything to reconcile even a single issue in the divide.   The world may not end with this election but the pandemic of stupidity certainly looks to be getting much worse.   It is obvious to me that Trump is unprepared and no match for the gadianton ridden Democratic party leadership that I had hoped would not take a tighter strangle hold on our freedoms and liberties.

I would love to offer some hope.  I wish I could say or believe that there is some silver lining to the storm clouds I see gathering.  Churchill said that there are worse things than war and they all come from loosing one.   There have been a number of times during my life that I have been in a similar position - seeing no possible solution to circumstances and then to find out that G-d exist and has always assisted when there was no other possibility.  This is my optimism.  I have no idea how it will come about so I cannot recommend what will transpire between now and how we will get through this but I believe we will all be better for this experience.  When we get to the spirit world we can all greet each other and brag that we were Latter-day Saints that lived through this.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

Trump* fully knows and expects that the mainstream media will do their best to shine a bad light on him no matter what he says or does, good or bad.
This is why he has to consistently bypass them through other channels. They repeatedly attacked him before he became President and have relentlessly, wave after wave continued since.

It truly is a hate/hate relationship at this point.

I figure he knows he only has 1.5hrs during the debate, mostly unfiltered, to get his message across to people of all political backgrounds. It is now or never, kind of like a cork ready to pop. If it means he has to steamroll Biden and the moderator to do it, well he is going to do it. He is dammed if does and dammed if doesn't, so away he went with the steamrolling.

If the mainstream media wasn't so partisan, perhaps Trump wouldn't feel like he is always painted into a corner needing to lash out.
Kind of like the chicken or egg deal. Did Trump create the mainstream media backlash or did their backlash create Trump's reaction to them???

*PS. I didn't vote for Trump or Hillary last time but I'm Trump this time.

Edited by NeedleinA

10 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Trump* fully knows and expects that the mainstream media will do their best to shine a bad light on him no matter what he says or does, good or bad.
This is why he has to consistently bypass them through other channels. They repeatedly attacked him before he became President and have relentlessly, wave after wave continued since.

It truly is a hate/hate relationship at this point.

I figure he knows he only has 1.5hrs during the debate, mostly unfiltered, to get his message across to people of all political backgrounds. It is now or never, kind of like a cork ready to pop. If it means he has to steamroll Biden and the moderator to do it, well he is going to do it. He is dammed if does and dammed if doesn't, so away he went with the steamrolling.

If the mainstream media wasn't so partisan, perhaps Trump wouldn't feel like he is always painted into a corner needing to lash out.
Kind of like the chicken or egg deal. Did the Trump create the mainstream media backlash or did their backlash create Trump's reaction to them???

*PS. I didn't vote for Trump or Hillary last time but I'm Trump this time.

Thanks for your input.  Trump could have showed class and moved to bring the country together with some forgotten Republican party ideals.  For example; when Biden called Trump a liar - Trump should have said something like - "I am not the one that said - if you like your health care plan you can keep it and if you like your doctor you can keep them".  Then he could have said that there are solutions to making health care more affordable but we need a congressional house more interested in actually reducing costs and making health care more available - like what was done to get ventilators during a pandemic to all those that needed them (that you deliberately stripped from the stockpiles) rather than 4 years of falsifying impeachment accusations of Russia collusion.  You still could have saved lives and helped by using your influence to keep infected patients out of convalescent centers in New York and to the hospital ship provided through our military that you have refused to adequately fund.

The problem with Trump is that he is too interested in taking credit and making himself look good first.

The Traveler

10 hours ago, estradling75 said:

Biden most likely has all of Hilary's voters. 

Except, possibly, the hispanic vote.  (More accurately, the Telemundo Twitter follower's vote, which folks tell me would be a mix of hispanic citizens and illegals in the US.)  Can you imagine?

https://www.newsweek.com/66-percent-spanish-speaking-americans-telemundo-poll-think-trump-just-won-debate-1535176

I figure Trump has to deal with fewer folks on the right who won't vote for him this time around.

Also, Biden going pretty strongly on-record at NOT being for the Green New Deal.  That's got to be disheartening for more than a few leftie voters.

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Except, possibly, the hispanic vote.  (More accurately, the Telemundo Twitter follower's vote, which folks tell me would be a mix of hispanic citizens and illegals in the US.)  Can you imagine?

I did not know that...  I wanted to avoid the trap of expecting/demanding that every person must be thinking like I do.  I have seen to many fall into it and therefore thing that the "other side " must be hemorrhaging voters and could not possibly win. Only to be very unpleasantly surprised and thinking/demanding that it must of been because of cheating.

Therefore I think it is safer to assume everyone is entrenching in their position rather then changing position.  Unless of course you can find pretty solid evidence (not just hope or expectation) otherwise.

I tried to watch the debate but I could not get past all the talking over each others...  But lucky for me I just found this summary  :)

https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000007370133/presidential-debate-weird-al.html?action=click&gtype=vhs&version=vhs-heading&module=vhs&region=title-area&cview=true&t=22