Timelapse of the Future - Very interesting video I found

Fether

Theoretical physics seems to be to be evolving off the rails but I do find some notions in the video  interesting.  This is the idea that intelligence may evolve to the point of causing children universes of our universe where intelligent live can evolve.  Not sure how many caught that notion but what they did not conclude from that possibility - is that our current universe may be such a universe engineered and created by evolving intelligence.  By definition such evolution of intelligence to create a universe is the essence of G-d.

I find this so interesting because I have been arguing this point for decades with my colleagues in science that espouse agnosticism and atheism.  That if intelligent life can evolve then if an intelligence capable of creating a universe does not exist yet - it will eventually evolve in the evolutionarily soup of all possibilities.  I find this so interesting because scientists are thinking this up on their own without any reference to religion.  Once this possibility of evolution comes to tuition then all that would remain would be the children universe of such intelligence.   This means that by the principle of occam's razor G-d exists and created our universe.

I find this so interesting because it is in essence the very point that comes from the notions for which the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is most criticized for by other religions.  That is the notion that mankind is the image and likeness of G-d and thus can intelligently evolve to become a G-d.

The Traveler

A thought-inspiring video. Here's my reaction.

In the time before astrophysics was really a thing, scientists believed that the universe had existed forever, in more or less the same state we see it today. This was the so-called Steady State Theory (or Model). Edwin Hubble had demonstrated the very weird idea that the universe itself was expanding, so the Steady State Model accounted for this by saying that the average density stayed the same because matter was constantly being created from, apparently, nothing at all.

(By the way, I believe it was this particular idea that Joseph Smith was responding to when he revealed that the elements are eternal, not "created" ex nihilo and not destroyed into nothingness. The model that replaced Steady State, at first rejected by both scientists and religionists alike and mockingly called "Big Bang", is the one most astrophysicists today accept. I personally think that it fits in much better with Christian—at least LDS Christian—doctrine than does the Steady State Model.)

The video that @Fether linked in the OP suffers from exactly this same myopic view. (Thanks, President Nelson!) It assumes a sort of "steady state", in that what we see happening around us at this moment reflects what will inevitably happen in the vastly distant future. Like VASTLY distant. Like so much so that the entire life of the universe from its inception ("big bang") until  now, roughly 13.7 thousand million years, accounts for 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the time shown. If the age of the universe were represented by the width of a proton, this video purports to represent a time period represented by 100,000 times the width of the entire present universe itself.

And therein lies the problem. We have no way to confirm our extrapolation of current observations and ideas through such a fantastically long time scale. Indeed, the video is, at best, conjecture. I see it as more a nihilistic fantasy. I admit I have nothing better to offer, cosmologically speaking. But that is the purpose of religion, to infuse purpose and relationship into a universe of things. Cosmology says nothing about purpose.

Remember, we are here in proton-neutron-electron-based bodies exactly because we wanted the further progression that such a type of matter offers us. By taking upon ourselves bodies of such elements, we render ourselves capable of interacting with, influencing, and building things out of that same matter. Based on that idea alone, I reject the nihilistic take of the video that things will simply keep going on for literally unimaginable periods of time, growing ever dimmer and more entropic until...well, never, because (as the video states) time will have lost meaning.

Section 84 of the Doctrine and Covenants tells of a time, much closer than 200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years away, when "Satan is bound and time is no longer". That's a future I can look forward to.

I usually don't bother speculating about the hereafter, but the scenario is so science-fiction-ey, that I'll make an exception this time.

I want (in whatever form my eventual conscious self takes) to be able to experience time in ways similar to how this video does it.  I wanna see stars die and grow cold, and fall into black holes, and stuff.  

“Therefore, Chosen,” said Pitchwife firmly, “we live, and strive, and seek to define the sense of our being. And it is good, for though we compose a scant blink across the eyes of eternity, yet while the blink lasts we choose what we will, create what we may, and share ourselves with each other as the stars did ere they were bereaved. But it must pass." (Stephen R. Donaldson, The One Tree)

On 10/7/2020 at 8:27 PM, Vort said:

universe had existed forever, in more or less the same state we see it today.

It's curious that we find the concepts of "forever" and "infinity" a lot easier to accept than "very very big". Tell someone that the universe is infinitely big, he/she will just shrug. Tell them that from the closest star, light (which as Douglas Adams once observed, travels so fast that it takes most civilizations millennia to discover that it travels at all) takes 4.2 years to reach us, the imagination starts to balk.

I have watched parts of this video many times.  The soundtrack is spectacular.  The music is so good that I bought it.  I lose interest after they predict the Earth will consumed by the Sun.  We know it will not be in the future.

One thing I found interesting was scientists believe that it takes so long for a black dwarf to form that they think there are not any of them in our galaxy.

When many stars eventually die, they will become an object that doesn’t emit light or heat, and is devoid of any radiation—a black dwarf. Black dwarfs are a projected state of a low-mass star, but they don’t currently exist, as our universe is not old enough for them to have formed.  Scientists think this process takes many trillions of years.