COVID-19 Dept

Traveler

Two things have been happening with the pandemic.  First - governments have been shutting down their economies in efforts to stop the pandemic.  This shutting down has had significant impact on the world economy as businesses are going bankrupt.   Second - governments have been increasing their money supplies and borrowing money in efforts to save their economy.  60% of the world debt related to COVID-19 is being financed by China - according to the World Bank data.

Both Trump and Liberals want much more stimulus.  But the difference is that Trump wants to open up the country's economy and the Liberal want to keep it shut down.  There is an economic war going on and if the Liberals take control of the economy in the next election - I believe the economic war will be lost to China - who know what that will mean.  Regardless, I wonder if we will soon face a world economic collapse and a depression worse than when the stock market failed.   It is also my belief that the only thing preventing a civil war in the USA is the need for greed.  With a depression the riots will definitely make matters worse.  But this may be a great opening for religious corporation.   I think things will both get better and worse.  It will be a great time to be loyal to covenants.

The Traveler

14 hours ago, Traveler said:

It is also my belief that the only thing preventing a civil war in the USA is the need for greed.

I would be interested if you could expand on this topic a little more. How do you believe greed plays into things?

7 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

I would be interested if you could expand on this topic a little more. How do you believe greed plays into things?

The result of greed is debt.  This country and most people are so in debt that they cannot abandon their jobs for fear of losing means to pay for and continue their debt.   When the economy become so disrupted that those in debt cannot pay their bills - the result will create such hate that the people of this country will easily be manipulated into war.  This cycle is a fundamental warning of the Book of Mormon. 

The Traveler

• 2 months later...

Well...on the COVID-19 situation, the US is halfway there to the number of deaths of the Spanish Flu.  (338K vs 675K in the Spanish Flu).  spanish Flu had more deaths in it's second year than it's first...and we are just at the horizon of the second year of COVID...without any interventions it could mean that it will be worse in the next year (especially, if like the flu it can become something people get more than once, or especially with mutations.  The Spanish flu's numbers didn't really continue to be added in regards to the pandemic after the first year or two, but the Spanish flu continued to mutate and be an annual flu for the next 30 years after the initial pandemic.  Luckily, it mutated to be a less serious strain eventually, but we still have remnants of that strain affecting us to this day!)

Of course, it shouldn't even be that close with people knowing what happened last time in regards to wearing masks and taking precautions (One of the lessons of Spanish Flu was that those who wore masks and took precautions had fewer cases and fatalities, as well as primary spreaders would be military and schools...)...then again...we see the very same problems this time around that we did last time (history sometimes is a repeating pattern...hopefully it does not repeat that same pattern into the 2030s that the 1930s had).

Fortunately we DO have many advances in medical care and medicine and hopefully the vaccine is effective.  If it is, it's a race against time at this point on whether we will hit the same number of deaths that the previous pandemic had or not. 

Most studies I've seen say we've underestimated the actual number of deaths (groups can hide the cause of deaths, but not the NUMBER of deaths that exceed what it should be, and the only real abnormality this year has been Covid...since we've all been locked up and unable to go anywhere), but even at 338K...as I said, we are halfway there to the Spanish Flu numbers. 

I just wanted to comment about the numbers we are at and not having hit the end of the first year yet.  338K will undoubtably be an outdated number by the time I post this, but it is rather marked in that it means we are halfway to the Spanish Flu numbers.  Hopefully with the better medical advances we have today and the vaccine coming out we will not reach that dreaded 675K number.