Pope Appears to Endorse Same-Sex Civil Unions in New Documentary

Still_Small_Voice

21st October 2020 -- NewsMax

Pope Francis endorsed same-sex civil unions for the first time as pontiff while being interviewed for the feature-length documentary “Francesco,” which premiered Wednesday at the Rome Film Festival.

The papal thumbs-up came midway through the film that delves into issues Francis cares about most, including the environment, poverty, migration, racial and income inequality, and the people most affected by discrimination.

“Homosexual people have the right to be in a family. They are children of God,” Francis said in one of his sit-down interviews for the film. “You can't kick someone out of a family, nor make their life miserable for this. What we have to have is a civil union law; that way they are legally covered.”

While serving as archbishop of Buenos Aires, Francis endorsed civil unions for gay couples as an alternative to same-sex marriages. However, he had never come out publicly in favor of civil unions as pope.

Read more at:  https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/pope-endorses-civil-unions/2020/10/21/id/993033/?ns_mail_uid=69e4d782-37c1-493c-a8c5-39210a828688&ns_mail_job=DM155018_10212020&s=acs&dkt_nbr=010502n7tlrd

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

Catholic poster on another board puts it this way:

Pope Francis advocated for a civil-union law (he's discussing secular law here). This does not change Catholic doctrine. Obviously he is the leader of the Catholic Church and his statements will hold great sway over people's views. But I just want to be clear that his statements in a documentary hold no official weight as far as doctrine is concerned.

Catholic doctrine is officially clarified, explained, and applied through Ecumenical Councils and Papal ex cathedra decrees. That is light years from what is happening here.

I just want to be clear in case someone thinks that this statement has somehow changed something official in the Catholic Church.

Now, whether he should have said this, or what his beliefs about homosexuality are, is a different discussion than what the Catholic Church teaches.

It's easy to back in history and find popes who have taught and done things contrary to Catholic doctrine. The pope is not infallible, except for in very rare circumstances (ex cathedra pronouncements).

As I hear news about Popes, for decades, I've heard similar things from Catholics after this or that news story gets everyone all excited.

I hope the Pope is not endorsing or encouraging any sexual behaviors other than between a married man and woman.  It certainly sounds like it from the article.  If people want to choose deviant sexual behaviors (including fornication, adultery and many other sinful types) that is their choice, but choices have consequences.  We will be judged by our thoughts, words and deeds in the next life.

As Joshua said many years ago:  ". . . choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood . . . but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."  (Joshua 24:15)  We should be encouraging people to forsake their sins and turn to the LORD so He can cleanse and forgive them.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice