Why I hate You Tube

Jamie123

I'm sitting here in the lab right now, pretending to work, and listening to a colleague discussing "routers" with a student. And every time the student says "router" he pronounces the first syllable so as to rhyme with "doubt".

Now there IS a word "router" - spelled the same as a networking router - which IS pronounced that way. It is a device for cutting slots in pieces of metal or wood. This is what it looks like:

See the source image

THE kind or router he means is pronounced so the first syllable rhymes with "hoot" or "loot" or "coot". But of course he's been watching YouTube videos...by Americans...who pronounce the word wrongly, and that's how he genuinely thinks it should be pronounced.

He says it so casually...ROWTER, ROWTER, ROWTER... It drives me into such fit of apoplectic I can hardly control myself!

Edited by Jamie123

@Jamie123 I'm reading along thinking to myself, "What is the problem, that is how you pronounce it, rowter".
Then I see the "Americans" youtube videos - Hah!
My wife constantly watches The Great British Bake Off, trust me things go both ways. You know that yellow substance you spread on your bread... "Butt-her". 😉

Edited by NeedleinA

On 10/28/2020 at 1:57 PM, Jamie123 said:

I'm sitting here in the lab right now, pretending to work, and listening to a colleague discussing "routers" with a student. And every time the student says "router" he pronounces the first syllable so as to rhyme with "doubt".

Now there IS a word "router" - spelled the same as a networking router - which IS pronounced that way. It is a device for cutting slots in pieces of metal or wood. This is what it looks like:

See the source image

THE kind or router he means is pronounced so the first syllable rhymes with "hoot" or "loot" or "coot". But of course he's been watching YouTube videos...by Americans...who pronounce the word wrongly, and that's how he genuinely thinks it should be pronounced.

He says it so casually...ROWTER, ROWTER, ROWTER... It drives me into such fit of apoplectic I can hardly control myself!

If you look at the etymology of both words, you'll find that there is no reason for them to have different pronunciations. While the terms have different roots (see what I did there?) the roots would have the same pronunciation.  Americans are, at least, consistent in the pronunciation even if we're wrong.  British can't seem to make up their minds. :P

Edited by Carborendum

I am okay with the either pronouncing of "router."  Pronouncing the word harassment as "harrissment" bothers me even though either is considered correct.

Also, what I do not like about the YouTube website is some of the inappropriate/immodest advertisements or links for videos that sometimes come up in my feed every now and again.  Thank goodness it is not often.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

On 10/28/2020 at 2:57 PM, Jamie123 said:

That's odd. The English "router" should be pronounced the same as the American "rotor". Everyone knows you get the American equivalent of an English wourd by dropping the "u".

On 10/28/2020 at 11:57 AM, Jamie123 said:

See the source image

Sorry, I honestly don't get it. What is a router that is not pronounced "rowter"? Like, someone who maps out a route (which might be pronounced "root" by some) to another location? That's the router, pronounced "rooter"? I've never heard that before. There must be some other meaning that I don't know or have forgotten about.

The key to coming off as sophisticated is to intentionally use the less common pronunciation of words, and to say them with confidence, as if the way you choose is the obviously correct annunciation. Then again, some consider doing that to be a real jerk move. :confused: 

On 11/2/2020 at 9:00 PM, Vort said:

which might be pronounced "root" by some

Including me 😛

There might be many ways of pronouncing certain words - but my way is the correct way! Neyyya!! 😆 

Seriously though, it doesn't bother me at all when Americans use US pronunciations. What does irritate me is when British people imitate them. Another example is "aluminium", which in British has five syllables. Americans say it with four (skipping over the last "i"), which is fine for them, but it's annoying to hear British youngsters talk about "aluminum".

Interestingly my wife is American, and she says "root" and "rooter". But she's from the north east.

Edited by Jamie123

26 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

Including me 😛

There might be many ways of pronouncing certain words - but my way is the correct way! Neyyya!! 😆 

Seriously though, it doesn't bother me at all when Americans use US pronunciations. What does irritate me is when British people imitate them. Another example is "aluminium", which in British has five syllables. Americans say it with four (skipping over the last "i"), which is fine for them, but it's annoying to hear British youngsters talk about "aluminum".

Interestingly my wife is American, and she says "root" and "rooter". But she's from the north east.

So what is a "rooter" router?

One of the advantages of being dyslectic is that most of what anyone says does not make sense or sound right.  To be sure I have to ask questions which seems to annoy the heck out of a lot of people.  For example I may ask, "Did you just say something about a turtle in the toilet?"   When what they really said had nothing to do with turtles or toilets.   For me, such things are hilarious.  What I do not understand is why anyone traveling the various roads of life becomes unhinged by all the things worthy of a good laugh or is otherwise meaningless. 

The Traveler 

Edited by Traveler