Backdoor Gun Control

NeedleinA

I'll disclose that I'm not a "gun person".
I have never owned a gun until the last 6 months. We have them at the home now for personal defense, like many other families I know.
I often hear gun advocates talk about politicians taking away your gun rights.
I found this video about a backdoor approach by California to cripple your ability to 'purchase' guns.
Also curious if @mirkwood has any thoughts on this approach.

Legislating the sale of guns so much, nobody can buy guns, is absolutely a thing that people try to do all the time.  Nothing new here.  It needs to be fought, like any other attempt.
- Banning certain types of guns, or demanding certain technologies be included in anything to be bought/sold in a state
- Pressuring banks or credit card companies to refuse to do business with any business that sells guns or ammo
- Banning certain capacity magazines
- Regulating the sale of guns/ammo to the point where it's difficult or impossible to buy either

These are just off the top of my head.  

Edited by NeuroTypical

I watch the 2nd Amendment a lot in this nation.  About thirty-six states presently have tolerable firearm laws.  These states do not have magazine capacity restrictions on citizens, red flag gun confiscations without due process or silly laws against pistol grips, barrel shrouds, flash hiders, bayonet lugs or adjustable stocks.  Detachable magazines are a nice feature to have for a long gun or pistol as it enables a citizen to reload faster.  

There is no such thing as a "high capacity magazine."  This was a term invented by people wishing to cripple and erode our 2nd Amendment liberties away.  There are "full capacity magazines" and "crippled capacity magazines." 

From what I have experienced and read, most magazines that have over thirty five rounds in capacity are less reliable, heavy and bulky.  

A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

infringe
[inˈfrinj]
VERB
infringed (past tense)
  1. actively break the terms of (a law, agreement, etc.).
    "making an unauthorized copy would infringe copyright"
    synonyms:
    contravene · violate · transgress · break · breach · commit a breach of ·
VERB
infringed (past participle)
  1. actively break the terms of (a law, agreement, etc.).
    "making an unauthorized copy would infringe copyright"
    synonyms:
    contravene · violate · transgress · break · breach · commit a breach of ·

I am personally convinced that the only reason to limit a lawful citizen's 2nd Amendment rights is a precursor (intent) for the removal of additional rights.   In addition - politicians threatening the 2nd Amendment - I believe is an indication of being controlled by "secret combinations" such as drug cartels - especially if they are also for open borders, abolishing ICE, defunding the Police and so on and so on.  The trend is obvious where their true loyalties lie. 

The Traveler

On 10/28/2020 at 5:00 PM, NeedleinA said:

I often hear gun advocates talk about politicians taking away your gun rights.
I found this video about a backdoor approach by California to cripple your ability to 'purchase' guns.

I couldn't help but note his T-shirt.

Ammosexual:

A term for someone who feels affection for firearms. Often an attraction to the beauty and design of the gun, but can also refer to love for the history, freedom, security, or tactile feel of the gun. Also typified by those who feel joy in being able to find and acquire ammunition to feed their firearms, especially at an affordable price.

Ammosexuals, like many alternative lifestyle groups, have been ruthlessly attacked by hate-filled bigots who desire the eradication of individual liberty and equality, in favor of either violent mobs, might-makes-right, or tyrant kings.

Fearing violence and protests, most ammosexuals are forced to hide their biological affection from vocal and violent prejudice. Ammosexuals are frequently the target of anti-freedom laws and politicians, and are currently denied many freedoms granted to other minority groups in most nations.

[Hey, want to see my new favorite rifle? Her name's Vera.] 

Who here is a Firefly fan?  I love Jayne.

So, is "ammosexual" supposed to be derogatory?  I want one of those T-shirts.  Anyone else here an ammosexual?

12 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I want one of those T-shirts. 

https://teespring.com/ammosexual_blk?tsmac=store&tsmic=thepewpewlife&pid=46&cid=2739

12 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Anyone else here an ammosexual?

More and more becoming one. Just ordered a laser sight for my wife's SigP365 this morning.

• 2 months later...

It seems odd so many would go to the Gun Store due to certain events.  If one needs a gun, then it shouldn't be dependent on certain events occurring for you to need it, you would want to utilize it for what it is necessary for. 

If you think you may need it in the future, rather than buying it as a reaction, be proactive and buy it prior to that.  You'll find you have far less crowds to deal with.

If this is about Ammunition instead, I sure hope that store has a bargain on ammunition, otherwise, it would have been WISER to buy ammunition BEFORE everyone rushed out and made the ammo crunch even worse than it already was. 

At this point, it probably is easier and better to buy it online than at a store if you have to deal with crowds like the above.

I don't think I've ever seen the store this crowded during Quail Season, or at least for Quail season.  However, if you expect it to be crowded because Quail season has popped up (every place is different I suppose), then it probably is best to buy your guns and ammo BEFORE the season ever begins.  You'll know what you have, know what you are expecting to use, are prepped to go before the season begins and can plan other essential items (where you are are going, where you'll have the dogs if you use them, etc) rather than fighting the crowds hoping that the store isn't sold out of the Ammo you need or the Gun you want.

Ammo pricing Is out of control right now. Stores should be spanked for price gouging. I currently need to buy some more 9 mm and it is 3 to 4 times the normal cost. I won’t pay those prices.  I haven’t bought any ammo since March 2020.  This has been going on for about a year and some say that it could be 2 to 3 years before we see normal price ranges. I’m hearing rumors that the problem now is due to a primer shortage.  

28 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Ammo pricing Is out of control right now. Stores should be spanked for price gouging. I currently need to buy some more 9 mm and it is 3 to 4 times the normal cost. I won’t pay those prices.  I haven’t bought any ammo since March 2020.  This has been going on for about a year and some say that it could be 2 to 3 years before we see normal price ranges. I’m hearing rumors that the problem now is due to a primer shortage.  

CTD had 9mm Win White box (50) for 99 bucks this week.      I reload, but primers are super hard to find. 

2 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

If you think you may need it in the future, rather than buying it as a reaction, be proactive and buy it prior to that.  You'll find you have far less crowds to deal with.

What makes you think this isn't exactly what they are doing?  Why couldn't a bunch of people be seeing a future need, and are out proactively buying it prior to it.  Crowds simply mean a lot of people are seeing a future need.

16 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

I have no problem finding the ammo. I’m unwilling to pay the The current prices.

1 hour ago, mirkwood said:

...some say that it could be 2 to 3 years before we see normal price ranges.

How do you know this isn't the "new normal"?

I've got plenty of rifle rounds. But we're low enough on 9mm that we can't to the range for practice.  My son and I are proficient enough that we can be "accurate enough" if the need arises.  But we won't be able to get any better without practice.

Edited by Carborendum

4 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Currently, it's just a reaction.

It's been "a reaction" for over a year now.  Government WILL "regulate" (i.e. - forbid/ban/crush) enough of the gun and ammunition market that it will always be higher.

Before Obama took office I could buy 125 grain 9mm for around 50 c/rd.  Sometimes cheaper.  With Obama, prices rose to $1/rd.  People said it was a "reaction".  And it was.  But it never went down.

Now this is "just a reaction" and up to $2/rd.  It is just a reaction.  But it won't be going down any time soon -- as in -- EVER.

Edited by Carborendum

Just now, Carborendum said:

It's been "a reaction" for over a year now.  Government WILL "regulate" (i.e. - forbid/ban/crush) enough of the gun and ammunition market that it will always be higher.

Before Obama took office I could buy 125 grain 9mm for around 50 c/rd.  Sometimes cheaper.  With Obama, prices rose to $1/rd.  People said it was a "reaction".  And it was.  But it never went down.

Now this is "just a reaction" and up to $2/rd.  It is just a reaction.  But it won't be going down any time soon.

It hasn't been horrible for over a year in my area.   It depends on HOW government regulates it.   I specifically said manufacturing because if they regulate sales and possession, as they've been leaning towards, demand will decrease and availability/price will decrease with it.     I bought 9mm for less than 50 c/rd this month.