Backdoor Gun Control

NeedleinA

37 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Where?  Heck, I'll drive to New England and buy a truck load and come home with it at that price.

I had to get a free account at gunbroker.com
Going to the stores has been worthless. I found a couple of 'okay' deals on 500 & 1000 round purchases, but nothing like @Grunt's less than 50 c/rd.

58 minutes ago, Grunt said:
1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

How do you know this isn't the "new normal"?

Currently, it's just a reaction.  Supply will increase to meet demand in a free market.  However, if the government regulates manufacturing so much the market isn't even close to free, then this could be the new normal.

Heh.  The exact same thing happened when Obama was elected.   No ammo or guns to be found, lots of people talking about why, lots of pressure on ammo manufacturers to increase production.   The ammo manufacturers said the same thing they say every other time this happens - we can't just add millions of dollars of assets/staff/buildings/capacity, for something that's going to be a short term deal.    Lots of unhappy people back in 2008 and 2009.   You know when ammo/gun shortages were NOT news, because there were no shortages?

some of 2020

I bet if we search hard, we can find old 2008/09 threads on this very forum, where we're all talking about the same issue.

The prices went back down when the massive run on .22 ended.  Prices even went back to normal, though it took longer.  My last .22 purchase was for $0.04 about two years ago.  The prices will go back down again when supply catches up with the demand AND people stop panic buying at any price.  Practice 9 mm (ball) should never cost you more then $0.30 and even then, you should be closer to $0.20.  If you are shooting hollow points for practice, send some my way, you must be super rich.  My last .223/5.56 purchase (March 2020) was for $0.40 and I was irritated at that price, but I also knew it would get higher for at least a year and I knew I was shooting all summer.  I often shoot 500-1000 rounds a summer.  Prior to that I generally paid $0.24-28.  .308 I've been happy to pay under $1.00 at any time.  I missed some last month for $0.77 because I was slow in completing an order and it sold out.

@Carborendum you can still practice without ammo.  90% of my practice is dry fire.  I have a target set up at about 10 yards in my basement.  Each day before work I practice several draw strokes and 10 trigger pulls, normal shooting stance.  I switch to my off hand and do 6 trigger pulls support hand only.  Next I do 10 trigger pulls with my off hand, supported by strong hand (i.e. I shoot with my other hand normally.)  Next I do 4 trigger pulls practicing a hostage shot.  Most days I will close to about 6 yards and do another 6-10 at a much smaller circle on the target, just for the extra trigger pulls.  30 trigger pulls 4 times a week = 120 trigger pulls a week = 480 trigger pulls a month.  It takes 50 rounds (trigger pulls) to maintain whatever skill level you have achieved.  Yea, it is not as much fun, but it is very effective training.  Just remember to fanatically make sure that gun is unloaded before you start a dry fire drill.

Edited by mirkwood

On 1/23/2021 at 10:18 AM, Carborendum said:

Where?  Heck, I'll drive to New England and buy a truck load and come home with it at that price.

For Larger cartridges you can always get into the ammunition making hobby, or at least refill.  You take your cartridges and reuse them by packing them with your own bullet and gunpowder.

I have a friend who swears by it.  I've gone to their place on occasion where they have their gear in their front yard (it almost looks like an ice tray, they melt down lead and then put it into a tray sort of contraption to form their bullets).  I'd imagine that they probably pay a lot less for their ammunition...plus have the added benefit that they do not have to rely on the supply chain to determine how available it is.

If you are willing to drive to New England, than this type of hobby sounds like something that could be beneficial for you to learn!

They've offered to give me some ammunition at times, but thus far I haven't taken them up on it.  They seem to enjoy it though and are pretty fanatical about it.

Edited by JohnsonJones

Logically the is a reason for increased sales of firearms and ammunition - the only reason I can think of that anyone would purchase a firearm or ammunition for protection is driven by the conclusion that one's government cannot or will not protect a person or their property. 

The Traveler

I have often wondered why those that are for "gun control" (especially for the use of firearms in committing crime) are against considering capitol punishment for such crimes.  Would it not be more logical to punish offenders rather than non offenders?

The Traveler

• 5 months later...

I wonder how many people last year bought guns solely as a direct result of watching the unchecked riots take place?
We bought guns last year thanks to said events.

This Congress woman wants to thank those who let riots take place.

Edited by NeedleinA