Where did it happen

Emmanuel Goldstein

Just now, Jane_Doe said:

Oh course not!   Not remotely!  Just like my sister's interest in historical accuracy is not remotely a lack of faith thing.  I was just sharing a different perspective.  

I see. I look forward to the day that the locations are found. I know that the Lord told joseph that the earth would testify of the truthfulness of the book. Maybe they will find evidence from Archaeology.  

3 minutes ago, Scott said:

He was.  He probably had to be.  And he had a temper.  And swore.  He had a dog that would bite other members. He got in fist fights with other church members.   He was even a bartender while being the prophet.  While prophet, he also entered a fighting competition and beat the snot out of someone so he could earn the bail money to bail money to bail Porter Rockwell out of jail.  

You are too used to seeing Sunday school artwork and not the actual church history or that which was written by the people who actually knew him.

What I mean, is that drawing seems to depict him as an out of control psychopath. I don't buy it.

1 minute ago, NeedleinA said:

Source?

I am not 100% sure but I believe that this particular picture was based on the death mask of Joseph.  And for the record - the statue of Joseph and his brother Hyrum on the Salt Lake Temple grounds was based on the Death Mask of Joseph and Hyrum.  I have had the opportunity to be in the Church archives and see the Death Masks for myself. 

The Traveler 

33 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Why is it pushed so heavily in the magazines then? Why don't they commission art that reflects all beliefs?

Because it is not about not about reflecting a belief that has no bearing on Salvation... that is just a waste of time, money and effort.  It is about commissioning art work that reflects the more critical beliefs about the Savior and his gospel.   And I will make you a deal... the day you get in a position to commission art work for the church... I will totally support what ever irrelevances you wish it to include as long as it also reflects  the more critical beliefs about the Savior and his gospel.

Edited by estradling75

7 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:
24 minutes ago, Scott said:

Joseph Smith photograph:

Joseph Smith, Jr. - Wikiquote

Source?

Here's a fun analysis of that photo:

https://www.quora.com/Do-any-photographs-of-Joseph-Smith-Jr-exist

Unfortunately, it has pretty clearly been altered. It almost looks like the right side is a different person than the left side, which you can see by covering half of the photo at a time and flipping each side to create symmetrical images. Now, I know that all faces are somewhat asymmetrical, but my point is that the eyes and perhaps other parts of the photo have been retouched.

main-qimg-b8d774384d369889b2abab976b7c5703

I can sit here and speculate all day.  Speculation is fun.  Getting offended at someone else's speculation seems like a waste of time.

Just now, NeuroTypical said:

Ugh.  Images created from death masks has always been a horrible idea. People don't look like themselves when their gazillion facial muscles have stopped working at death.

Almost as creepy as when they later began taking photos of them hanging out with the dead body. 

parlor.jpg

7 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I mean variety in the book of Mormon art, but, yes, the life of Jesus has really had some good variety.

Well, if you think satiric fiction can be a form of art, then I'd refer you to the Book of Laman.   Hear the story told by the true victims of what went down.  I'm not gonna give links, for obvious reasons.  I'm probably in the minority of saints here, most probably see that work as mocking sacred things of God.  I figure it's a lighthearted look into a fellow sinner's soul.

Edited by NeuroTypical

4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Well, if you think satiric fiction can be a form of art, then I'd refer you to the Book of Laman.   Hear the story told by the true victims of what went down.  I'm not gonna give links, for obvious reasons.  I'm probably in the minority of saints here, most probably see that work as mocking sacred things of God.  I figure it's a lighthearted look into a fellow sinner's soul.

The book of Laman is hilarious. 

10 hours ago, Traveler said:

I came away from that experience with the realization that few (if any) artists have ever visited the Holy Land.

Far, far away, on Judea's plain...

What do you mean Judea doesn't have a plain? Of course it does! There were sheep grazing, right? Sheep graze on plains! Duh.

When it comes to artwork, I think our minds just focus on things that are familiar to us.  

The person painting the Mayan pyramids in the Book of Mormon artwork was probably familiar with them and painted what he or she was familiar with.

People who drew maize/indian corn in Joseph's dream picture that grain as corn rather than the wheat is actually was.

People who painted Jesus made him to look like someone who would look familiar in their own culture.

A lot of people put snow in their nativity scenes.  Never mind that snow is extremely rare in Bethlehem and can only very rarely fall in the season Jesus probably wasn't born in.   The nativity scene probably took place in a cave as well.

Even with all the artists renditionings of things familiar with them, stereotypes creep up and last for a long time.  There is no evidence that Vikings wore horns.  All evidence is to the contrary.  Apparently that came from some opera.  Pilgrims didn't dress in black and white with big belt buckles.

Artwork protraying long dead people and times is almost never accurate, in or outside the church.  It never will be.

A protrayal that might be as accurate as a lot of the art work you might see in Sunday school:  

Of course this isn't a critisism of Chuch artwork, but it isn't intended to be 100% accurate; only a picture in the artist head of what and where something might have happened.