Sign in to follow this  
Just_A_Guy

More BSA misery

3 hours ago, Vort said:

There are those who take umbrage at the idea that Latter-day Saints might be morally "better" than other groups. My rejoinder is: If membership in the kingdom of God does not, on average, help people to be significantly morally better than they otherwise would be, what is the point of joining the Restored Church?

Yup.

3 hours ago, Vort said:

Rates of sexual abuse are only one measure of moral turpitude.

That is a good point.  It is interesting to note that the Bible names Adultery, Fornication, and Homosexuality as sexual sins.  It doesn't mention anything else.  I'm not sure how we might interpret that through our "eyes of presentism."  But it is something to think about.

3 hours ago, Vort said:

Furthermore, not everything under the umbrella of "sexual abuse" is equally damaging to the victims (or the perpetrators).

Yes, and that was the point in itemizing the first point that I quoted from those giving the presentation.

3 hours ago, Vort said:

But if there is literally no statistical difference in rates of sexual abuse between Latter-day Saints and everyone else, and this is not actually an artifact of political convenience or a poorly (or dishonestly) designed metric, then I very seriously question our devotion as a people. There should be a measurably large difference.

I wonder if it isn't just about our people being "just as bad."

I should point out that the statistic was not of the perpetrators.  It was the number of victims.  I don't know the source of the statistics that were presented.  But it is entirely possible that the victim count was tainted because of outside perpetrators.  We do have to consider that those offshoot groups that hide in our ranks do still practice polygamy in secret.  And that will tend to increase child molestation rates.

It is also possible that the number was unfavorably biased against us because, well, as I've said before, Latter-day Saints tend to be very attractive people.  Not only that, but we're also raised to be pretty agreeable people (present company notwithstanding).

Get any abuser next to a very attractive and very agreeable person, and, yes, the rates of incidence against such individuals would be high.  So, the rates of abuse may be that we're only raising our children to be harmless as doves without being as wise as wolves.

For instance, I don't tell my children about the birds and the bees until they are old enough to understand sexual attraction.  I do, however, tell my children about modesty.  I wonder how many other parents do. What if something happened to the children before that age?  Would they know it was even wrong?   I know many parents (both in and out of the Church) who let their little girls (maybe 5 to 10 yo) run around topless because "they haven't developed yet, so it's no different than a boy." SMH.

1 hour ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

I personally know three women that were raped or sexually assaulted.  Only one was molested by a member of the Church who I believe was ex-communicated.  Never heard what happened to him.

This lends to the credibility of my hypothesis that possibly, we have just as many victims, but the perpetrator statistics are supplemented by those outside the Church.

1 hour ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

I hope this is not common among Latter-Day Saints.

Depends on how "common" it has to be to be considered "common."

I think despite the general statistics, that we are at least marginally better than those outside the Church.  But it is still common enough that I can't just chalk it up to statistics.

Additionally, I see how many are just "hanging around" the Church without really living it at all.  If you don't live it, you won't be obedient.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if the stats worsened.  But I believe the last I heard the stats worsened across the board all over the country.

Edited by Carborendum

2 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

@Carborendum any source from the 5th Sunday discussion that you can recall?
I've heard a similar statement as you, but nothing that could be followed to an official church source.

It was a very long time ago. And they were visitors who were appointed by the stake leadership.  I don't remember their credentials.  But at the time, they sounded pretty credentialed.

And, no, I didn't ask them for a source at the time.