#GiveThanks

Carborendum

In case you missed it, the broadcast from Pres. Nelson challenged us to use social media to give thanks for the next 7 days.

Since this is day one, I'm going to start with the low hanging fruit.

• I'm thankful for the Atonement of Christ.
  • I'm thankful for my wife and children.

#GiveThanks

Edited by Carborendum

Third Hour is the only social media with which I participate...

11/20  I'm thankful for: my family, our health, prophets and scriptures, the cosmos, good food, technology, trials and growth. 

11/21  Heavenly Father, Jesus  Christ and the Holy Ghost.  The ability to experience life and still overcome our mistakes and sins.  The power of love, sacrifice and determination.

11/22 The wonder and excitement of childhood, the power and beauty of youth, and the wisdom and knowledge of maturity.  

11/23 For the insight to see the Hand of God in both Science and the Arts.  It has only been in the last century that we have been able to look into the sub-atomic level and recognize that the Universe is tens of billions of light-years across.  I love being able to read a book, appreciate a painting, or watch a movie that can remind me of the love of God and our limitless potential. 

11/24 A sincere smile, a laugh that broadens the soul, and a sense of humor. 

11/25 Traditions, holidays and weekends.

11/26 Gravy

#GiveThanks

Edited by mikbone

I’m grateful for the relationship that I have with my Heavenly Father. 

I’m so grateful to Jesus Christ for His atoning sacrifice and example. 

I’m grateful for my wife and family and that we have a happy home life. 

#givethanks

Edited by Colirio

I'm grateful for the Holy Ghost that gives us revelation of God's divine will.  I am also grateful for the freedom and liberty we have in many places in the United States.  Most days I pray for the preservation of liberty as I believe that freedom is rare and it is fragile.

As much as I believe speaking thanks is good - I do not believe that words of thanks come close to deeds of thanks.

I am thankful for the freedoms and liberties of this country:  I volunteered during a time of war to join the military - knowing that combat was likely and I could have avoided the draft.

I am thankful for the restoration of the Gospel:  I have accepted and served in every calling I have been given - even when it interfered with my education, my profession and with planned family' activities and of course --- when I did not understand why I was called (example - my calling a nursery leader when I have no idea how to deal with little children - leaving such things to my wife when our children were little).  I also paid for my mission from my personal savings.

I am thankful for others.  I believe in service but realize than I am not mindful of such things so I make it a point to volunteer then try to be the first to arrive and last to leave.

I am thankful for my personal witness of the restoration:  I make an effort to witness my belief in the restoration when posting.

I am thankful for many forum members:  I make a conscious effort to give thanks when I disagree and I apologize if I offend.  Sadly I do not often realize when I offend and so I apologize now for my lack of understanding of such things.  I thought to name some but rather than do that - Thanks to you all.  

I am thankful for the Saints of Zion:  But I must admit that often I am not certain how to express such thanks to the Saints - but I do sustain and support even business owned and operated by fellow Saints. 

I am thankful for the leadership in the Church:  I will not speak ill or wish for anyone to be released (not any more).  I will support anyone in their calling - even if they are unworthy of their calling - I know I am unworthy myself to stand in church callings as a proxy for Christ.  I am thankful for all that covenant with G-d and I will stand by them especially in times of their difficulty.

The Traveler

11/21/2020:  I'm thankful for indoor plumbing and toilet paper.  For those of you who don't remember what I've said in the past, this is quite sincere since for the first few years of my life I didn't have either of these.

11/22/2020:  I'm thankful for talents.  I'm hearing my son practicing some Christmas carols on our piano right now.  I've been making marvelous progress on catching up to him.  Our family loves singing songs together.  Hymns have parts all separated for us and we make quite the choir.

#GiveThanks

Edited by Carborendum

Yesterday I threw my back out beating the dirt out of carpets.  Then I am grateful this happened to me.  I was walking in the Walmart parking lot later at night and tripped and fell.  After landing on my right side I was not injured except for a minor bruising of my right foot.  When I woke up today about two-thirds of the pain I was feeling in my lower back was alleviated.

Edit:  Five hours later and my back is hurting even less and I am feeling even better.  It is strange that a fall could help heal you.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

I am grateful for the liberty, comforts, and technology that we have in the world compared to ages past. 

I am grateful for having the priesthood so readily accessible in the world. 

I am grateful for having temples that dot the land. 

#GiveThanks

Saturday and Sunday I got sad news.  It is expected I suppose to a degree, but it hits somewhat close to home.  Two friends of mine have passed away this week from COVID-19 (or that is what I was told).  One was someone I got to know through my daughter as she had a close friend when she was younger and I got to know that friends parents.  Both parents came down with Covid but while one made it through, the other did not.  The other one was also somewhat unexpected.  I am part of a club where we dress up as Cowboys sometimes, and do cowboy things such as riding horses and doing rope tricks and rodeo tricks as well as other such things.  These days we didn't do as much (age gets you a little slower at times) but we still did parades and fairs at times.  One of them passed away this week as well.  You may wonder what this has to do with thanks, but it has brought to me a stark realization of a blessing that I've had thus far.

I've been around students and others who have had diseases (not just Covid, students have all sorts of illnesses and ailments.  Strep can be a particularly lethal one if untreated, they also have flus, colds, etc.) which probably are not the best things that I am exposed to.  I have been blessed with protection in many ways from being as affected by some of these as others. 

I am VERY grateful for the protection I have been blessed with thus far.  I do not know how long it might continue, but I have been blessed tremendously in the past few months.  I am grateful for that protection from ailments and sickness as well as with being healthy.  There have been times when I may not have the best health, but I am still alive and am still breathing and exercising.  I AM sorry for losing friends, but I am grateful for the time i have to spend with my family and those I love on this earth for at least a little bit longer and the protection and health that I have been blessed with.

I'm grateful for the scriptures... From the Book of Mormon, to the Bible and all the Modern Revelations, that help me better know and understand God and Christ as well as what they would have me do.

They just discovered precancerous cells in someone I know.  They discovered cancer before it began growing in her uterus.  I am grateful they will likely be able to remove the cancer from her and she will likely survive.  She is only 45 years old.

I'm grateful for the wonderful electronics that we have today when utilized for good.  It helps us to be able to watch conference as it occurs (it wasn't always this way, there was a time in my lifetime where I can recall that you could listen to it on the radio in some areas, but if you were unable to do that, you had to order the recordings and listened to conference at a later date after you received those recordings.  There are actually areas of the world that this still occurs, but in most of the US and Europe as well as Australia, Japan, and Korea we can watch it live).  It helps us so that we can do genealogy in  ways we've never expected could be done.  It helps with Temple work, church organization and finances, records, and even presentations at times. 

In addition, I feel it also helps in places like this forum, as well as even more personally with being able to have the Standard Works, the Church Magazines and Church materials instantly (or very quickly at least) in our hands via tablets and phones.  I am grateful for how this has changed my life in the accessibility of the gospel and making the gospel and it's works easier to access.

Edited by JohnsonJones

11/20 - I am grateful for a good wife who continually serves our family. She has always been patient with me, and been willing to look past my faults. When our twins were born we had 4 children under the age of 4, and I was shortly thereafter given more responsibilities at work and also called as a counselor in the Bishopric. She has never complained about the stress she is under, and the difficulty of handling 4 young children by herself much of the time. Her sacrifices mean the world to me.

11/21 – I am grateful for the organization of the church and the progression of the Lord’s gospel. The church has so many resources in place that are able to help us and our loved ones stay on the covenant path and to progress. So many programs such as the perpetual immigration and education funds, humanitarian aid, Bishop’s storehouses, and disaster relief have lifted millions of people out of poverty and terrible circumstances. The fact that the scriptures, general conference messages, temple ordinances, and other church materials are available in hundreds of languages is a miracle – the Book of Mormon has approximately 112 languages, and the Bible over 700, with other portions having over 1,500 languages and dialects. So many things are evidences of the Lord’s love for us.

11/22 - I am grateful for the additional service opportunities that the Lord’s church offers us. I currently serve in the Bishopric, and have been anxious as of late to be released and receive a new calling. (our Stake President has let us know that their search for a new Bishop has begun as our Bishop will have been serving for 5 years in January) As I was conducting our Sacrament meeting on Sunday, I realized that this coming Sunday may be my last time doing so, and I felt a sense of gratitude for the opportunity I have had to serve those around me, and for the trust the Lord has in each of us to do His work. I have always appreciated my callings more when I was told I would be released from them, and I don’t realize the growth I experienced until I look back and see where I was before.

11/23 – I am thankful for the good people in this world who continually strive to help others. Politicians and civic leaders continually spout that they are the ones who truly care about people and know what is best…yet they never actually do anything beneficial for anyone but themselves. So many commonplace people are the ones lifting those with feeble knees and whose heads hang down. Much of this work is done in secret on an individual basis, and is truly the backbone of our society. So many church leaders (especially those leading youth) are kept up at night from worry as they totally devote themselves to serving others. Their efforts over the years have blessed me and my family greatly.

11/24 – I am thankful for a Father in Heaven who has the ability to truly love us. His ability to foresee what individuals and nations need in advance, and to put events in motion years before is amazing to me. His power and capacity dwarfs anything that mankind can comprehend, and yet His goal and focus is our welfare. It was not easy for Him to lose a part of his children before the foundation of the world. It was not easy for Him to know that Christ would be His only begotten Son; perfect without spot…and yet have to suffer more than any of His other children. It has not been easy for Him to witness the hate that His children have showed to both Him and each other for thousands of years…and yet His love is still extended to us.