Okay...which one of you Utahns put this up??

JohnsonJones

1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

Someone's playing a joke perhaps...

No, it's not a joke.  It was determined that someone decided to create a "work of art" and happened to be an Arthur C. Clarke fan.

My big question was: what is it made of? I'm assuming it is a hollow shell.  If it isn't, DANG!

• If it is steel, it would be far too heavy and it will rust. 
  • Stainless would still be too heavy.
  • If it is made of aluminum, it will scar, scratch, dent, and wear away far too quickly to justify the expense.
  • Titanium would be reasonable.  But REALLY expensive.

I know, only an engineer would care... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

It was determined that someone decided to create a "work of art" and happened to be an Arthur C. Clarke fan.

Source?  I can't find anything other than the initial news.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=utah+desert+monolith&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS924US924&oq=utah+deser&aqs=chrome.1.0i131i433j0i3i457j69i57j0i3l3j0j0i3.2751j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

6 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'm sorry, I can't find the source.  It was the first site I read about this.  Now, I can't find it again.

But I'm still going to vote for "art" rather than "joke".  If it was meant to be a joke, that was one pretty expensive joke that was WAYYYY out in the middle of nowhere and may have never been discovered.  One point of the joke is that one gets to enjoy others laughing at it.

Art, on the other hand, does not require anyone to appreciate it other than the artist.

4 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

Apparently it disappeared over the weekend as mysteriously as it appeared, at least according to the news.

BLM is out in the Utah desert now. Grrrrreat! Is there anything those guys won't destroy? 😂

"Visitors who flocked to the site parked on vegetation and left behind human waste as evidence of their visit," the BLM says. "The undeveloped area does not have restrooms or a parking lot. The BLM recommends that visitors not attempt to visit the site, which has no cell service and requires high clearance vehicles; passenger vehicles have already been towed from the area."

EoB90o2XEAEvhkb.thumb.jpg.1d657452eaab6cc912c0b2a6ca60e2d9.jpg