Sign in to follow this  
Grunt

Tithing Settlement

Recommended Posts

What's the deal with tithing settlement?  What is its purpose?  What happens if you don't go?  Everything I've read discusses how it is an "opportunity" for various things such as repentance, declaration of commitment, and auditing your tithes.  In my (albeit short) time here I've always felt it is expected.   

I'm currently trying to schedule tithing settlements, but I am a little surprised by how many people just don't do it. 

Edited by Grunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grunt said:

What is its purpose? 

The Church's answer:

Quote

Tithing settlement is an opportunity for each ward member to meet with the bishop to make sure his or her donations records are correct and to declare to the bishop his or her tithing status. It gives the bishop an opportunity to discuss with families the principle of tithing, encourage a generous fast offering, and discuss other financial and spiritual matters.

I would say participating in your tithing settlement should be expected.
Like other things in the Church, there are unfortunately members who chose not to do it... to their own detriment.
I particularly enjoy it for the teaching moments it gives our family, but I do it because I want to declare to the Lord's judge (Bishop) that I'm trying to do my best to live that commandment.

Quote

President Joseph F. Smith (1838–1918) said: “By this principle (tithing) it shall be known who is for the kingdom of God and who is against it. … By it it shall be known whether we are faithful or unfaithful” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith [1998], 276).

Lastly. One of the temple recommend questions is:

Quote

10. Are you a full-tithe payer?

Tithing settlement is a good reminder to keep us on course for being able to enter the temple as well.

Edited by NeedleinA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By small an simple things the Lord does that which is great.  Tithing Settlement is as about as small an simple as it gets.  Sadly it seems many think it is too small and too simple to be bothered with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grunt said:

Everything I've read discusses how it is an "opportunity" for...and auditing your tithes.

I remember one year we went to do tithing settlement and my father was shocked at what he discovered.  He hadn't been keeping a running tally.  He had been paying from his profits each month.  When he got the tithing record, he was shocked that as far as he could tell, he had only paid half of what he usually did.

The bishop told him to take a closer look with his accountant and see what the real number was.  The accountant gave him the numbers and pointed out a particular product that was costing him money.  He took that back to the in-house book-keeper.  They discovered that a product she put together was actually losing money.  This was not an approved loss leader.  It was the main product that was priced way too low.  It cost him tens of thousands of dollars.  He fired her and had to revise the pricing structure for the business to try to make up for it the next year.

I found it odd that he hadn't noticed the savings account dwindling over the course of the year.  But that's why he hired someone else to look at it.  It wasn't until tithing settlement where he saw that he had to face reality.

Yeah, it has some temporal advantages.

For my family it is mainly a time for us to hear a minor sermon from the bishop.  He already knows each member of my family very well.  But it is rare that he can talk to the whole family at once.  So, he gave us a little sermon about "listening to the Spirit."  Just as he was dismissing us, I had to ask, "Aren't you going to ask if we're full tithe payers?"  He was a little embarrassed about the faux pas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grunt said:

What's the deal with tithing settlement?  What is its purpose?  What happens if you don't go?  Everything I've read discusses how it is an "opportunity" for various things such as repentance, declaration of commitment, and auditing your tithes.  In my (albeit short) time here I've always felt it is expected.   

I'm currently trying to schedule tithing settlements, but I am a little surprised by how many people just don't do it. 

It’s easy to claim tithing settlement is a passive aggressive brute squad approach to getting tithing (I don’t think that is what your saying, you are actually an incredibly impressive saint and it has been a pleasure to see your conversion). But just like ministering interviews, temple interviews and other such interviews, pointed conversation are great ways of getting to the heart of a topic. 
 

in the tithing settlement the Bishop essentially says “you paid $8,000 this year in tithing. Is this accurate and did you pay a full tithe?”

Ill share a personal experience. I was asked if so was a full time payer last year and I looked at the total and realized I was behind $1200 (I get paid commission 30% up front and 70% when the project is done. If the project cancels, I get charged back the 30% so I wait for the install pay to pay the tithe on the income. Sometimes I miss some tithes cause of how confusing it can be sometimes). That was an amazing situation where I had to decide what to do. I was honest with the bishop and when my next pay check came in I paid the amount I owed God. The result? Well this last year I nearly doubled my income. I believe that has a lot to do with paying an honest tithe and I would have missed it had I not gone to the tithing settlement.

At the end of the day, we have to remember that God does not need our money (and neither does the church to be frank). Paying tithing is more for us and we should see tithing settlement as an opportunity to make sure we are right with ourselves and God.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fether said:

It’s easy to claim tithing settlement is a passive aggressive brute squad approach to getting tithing (I don’t think that is what your saying, you are actually an incredibly impressive saint and it has been a pleasure to see your conversion). But just like ministering interviews, temple interviews and other such interviews, pointed conversation are great ways of getting to the heart of a topic. 
 

in the tithing settlement the Bishop essentially says “you paid $8,000 this year in tithing. Is this accurate and did you pay a full tithe?”

Ill share a personal experience. I was asked if so was a full time payer last year and I looked at the total and realized I was behind $1200 (I get paid commission 30% up front and 70% when the project is done. If the project cancels, I get charged back the 30% so I wait for the install pay to pay the tithe on the income. Sometimes I miss some tithes cause of how confusing it can be sometimes). That was an amazing situation where I had to decide what to do. I was honest with the bishop and when my next pay check came in I paid the amount I owed God. The result? Well this last year I nearly doubled my income. I believe that has a lot to do with paying an honest tithe and I would have missed it had I not gone to the tithing settlement.

At the end of the day, we have to remember that God does not need our money (and neither does the church to be frank). Paying tithing is more for us and we should see tithing settlement as an opportunity to make sure we are right with ourselves and God.

Well said and thank you for the story.  It's an impressive reminder.  
 

That wasn't my intent at all.  I was more stating that I don't understand why Saints don't always do what is expected when it is easy.   For example, I completely understand why not being a full tithe payer is difficult.   I hold no judgment for anyone that doesn't make it, or doesn't do it at all.  However, I don't understand why someone who wants to be a faithful Saint doesn't attend settlement or if you don't want to be a faithful Saint why are you in attendance?   
 

That is the real reason for my post, I suppose.   I wasn't expecting this difficulty and I'm not sure what the reason for it is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grunt said:

What's the deal with tithing settlement?  What is its purpose?  What happens if you don't go?  Everything I've read discusses how it is an "opportunity" for various things such as repentance, declaration of commitment, and auditing your tithes.  In my (albeit short) time here I've always felt it is expected.   

I'm currently trying to schedule tithing settlements, but I am a little surprised by how many people just don't do it. 

The point is to have a quick check in on tithes to make sure everything is in order. It’s is generally expected by no remotely mandatory. 

I actually got a mailed form with everything this year, which I mega appreciate.  I think there might be a way to look online too.

Traditionally I am admittedly one of those people whom don’t go to tithing settlement, finding it unhelpful as I’m on top of fianances more regularly then that, and my paychecks are simple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

The point is to have a quick check in on tithes to make sure everything is in order. It’s is generally expected by no remotely mandatory. 

I actually got a mailed form with everything this year, which I mega appreciate.  I think there might be a way to look online too.

Traditionally I am admittedly one of those people whom don’t go to tithing settlement, finding it unhelpful as I’m on top of fianances more regularly then that, and my paychecks are simple. 

I understand that set of thoughts... may I recommend a different way of looking at it?

Tithing settlement is the Lord's way of declaring your faithfulness in the matter of tithing.

If you would not think of forgoing a temple recommend interview just because you knew you were on top of all your worthiness issues... you should not forgo a Tithing Settlement just because you are on top of all your finances.   It is the same general principle only you do not get the bishop signature on a recommend afterwards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Grunt said:

What's the deal with tithing settlement?  What is its purpose?  What happens if you don't go?  Everything I've read discusses how it is an "opportunity" for various things such as repentance, declaration of commitment, and auditing your tithes.  In my (albeit short) time here I've always felt it is expected.   

I'm currently trying to schedule tithing settlements, but I am a little surprised by how many people just don't do it. 

Taxes.

Also a good excuse to meet with the Bishop (or branch/ward leadership) personally at least once a year. 

In theory, it's a time for you to declare whether you are a part or full tithe payer, but you actually can do that at any time. 

However, it does have monetary circumstances relating to the real world (some related situations in the thread above, but those tend not to be what usually occurs, though admittedly they do sometimes) especially for those who use it in regards to filing their taxes. 

I normally use an accountant, so they usually ask for the paperwork and I have them take care of it.  Tithing may not impact federal taxes as much these days, but for some areas it still can affect other areas of tax payments.

Edited by JohnsonJones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've refused to participate in tithing settlement for probably a decade now. I don't object to tithing settlement or it's purposes. I object to the time frame in which it must all be done. Requiring a bishop to meet with each family in the last three months, while also requiring at least a clerk or other bishopric member to be present (if done by the books) seemed anathema to reducing the administrative load on the bishop. 

I'll return to tithing settlement when the bishops are permitted to take these declarations throughout the year. 

I still review my tithing statements to make sure I'm paying a full tithe. I've been pretty open with my bishops that I don't consider the ten minutes he could spare for me worth his time. They've never complained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

I've refused to participate in tithing settlement for probably a decade now. I don't object to tithing settlement or it's purposes. I object to the time frame in which it must all be done. Requiring a bishop to meet with each family in the last three months, while also requiring at least a clerk or other bishopric member to be present (if done by the books) seemed anathema to reducing the administrative load on the bishop. 

I'll return to tithing settlement when the bishops are permitted to take these declarations throughout the year. 

I still review my tithing statements to make sure I'm paying a full tithe. I've been pretty open with my bishops that I don't consider the ten minutes he could spare for me worth his time. They've never complained.

Posts like this make me sad.  I don't understand purposely not following expectations because a person feels they know better how the Church should be administrated than those chosen by God to do the administrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarginOfError said:

I've refused to participate in tithing settlement for probably a decade now. I don't object to tithing settlement or it's purposes. I object to the time frame in which it must all be done. Requiring a bishop to meet with each family in the last three months, while also requiring at least a clerk or other bishopric member to be present (if done by the books) seemed anathema to reducing the administrative load on the bishop. 

I'll return to tithing settlement when the bishops are permitted to take these declarations throughout the year. 

I still review my tithing statements to make sure I'm paying a full tithe. I've been pretty open with my bishops that I don't consider the ten minutes he could spare for me worth his time. They've never complained.

I've also thought the timing was a little odd.  It's such a busy time of the year for everyone, and it does seem like an unnecessary sacrifice on the part of the bishopric.  But, as the hymn says, "Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven."

I usually go.  It's a great time to make sure I'm not about to lose myself spiritually before the Seasonal Affective Disorder hits full force.  Last year, the only slots left available to sign up for were two hours after church let out, right during my nap time.  Since it hadn't quite got cold yet, I decided to walk the two and a half miles.  It gave me quite the chance for reflection.  The year before, a different bishop had pointedly said the following, "The second coming is approaching.  Are you ready?" 

The only time I've regretted going was the year the YSA bishop pulled people out of Sunday School one by one.  I thought it was a bogus way to go about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this