Was Jesus married

Guest Gomezaddams51

Guest Gomezaddams51

I just watched a TV show on Mary Magdalene.  There were several conflicting ideas tossed around, one that she was married to Jesus, one that she was one of the lead apostles, and one that she was just a whore who happened to hang out with Jesus.   Now according to what I remember about the church teachings, we are supposed to get married here to be able to progress and go on to the highest kingdom.  So if Jesus was supposed to "show us the way" then he would have to get married as part of "the way".  Being a Demi-God shouldn't exclude Jesus from having to follow the "Plan".  God seems to be a stickler for following the rules so it seems natural that he would not include an escape clause for his son.

39 minutes ago, Gomezaddams51 said:

I just watched a TV show on Mary Magdalene.  There were several conflicting ideas tossed around, one that she was married to Jesus, one that she was one of the lead apostles, and one that she was just a whore who happened to hang out with Jesus.   Now according to what I remember about the church teachings, we are supposed to get married here to be able to progress and go on to the highest kingdom.  So if Jesus was supposed to "show us the way" then he would have to get married as part of "the way".  Being a Demi-God shouldn't exclude Jesus from having to follow the "Plan".  God seems to be a stickler for following the rules so it seems natural that he would not include an escape clause for his son.

No official teachings but your train of thought is solid. Eternal marriage is essential for exaltation. Now whether Mary was Jesus’s wife, I don’t know that we have enough information or revelation to make a definitive claim. But he likely is or will be sealed to someone.

I agree that there are no official teachings.

2 hours ago, Gomezaddams51 said:

Being a Demi-God shouldn't exclude Jesus from having to follow the "Plan".

2 things -- 1, was Jesus merely a "demi-god" or was He a full fledged god? We talk about Jesus being Jehovah the God of the Old Testament that He was fully God before He even obtained a mortal body. Part of the answer here might depend on exactly how one chooses to view Jesus/Jehovah's status before He came to Earth.

2) Why shouldn't Jesus be excluded from following the plan? There's a lot about Jesus that seems to make Him unique among Father's children. He seems to have been a member of the Godhead before He received a body. I see several ways that Jesus's path seems very different from our path. Personally, I see no reason to think that Jesus must have followed (or will yet follow) the path that we are following.

There's a lot that hasn't been revealed, so who knows what is right and true. I'm sure there are some ways that Christ's path is similar to ours. Exactly how it is similar and how it is different hasn't been revealed.

6 hours ago, Gomezaddams51 said:

So what do you think?

Eternal marriage is definitely part of the plan. So yes Jesus was either married in this life or if his specific mission precluded him from marrying in this life then he married after. But if I understand it correctly marriage has to take place before the resurrection so that would not have given him much time. 

13 hours ago, dprh said:

My wife and I were playing around on the Family Tree app to see whose line goes back the furthest. We both had a line that went back to Jesus and Mary. So if geneologists can be trusted, they were married and had kids. 😃

I guess that makes you a demigod, emphasis on the demi. 😀

1 hour ago, laronius said:

Eternal marriage is definitely part of the plan. So yes Jesus was either married in this life or if his specific mission precluded him from marrying in this life then he married after. But if I understand it correctly marriage has to take place before the resurrection so that would not have given him much time. 

How is the Holy Spirit God without eternal marriage?

16 hours ago, dprh said:

My wife and I were playing around on the Family Tree app to see whose line goes back the furthest. We both had a line that went back to Jesus and Mary. So if geneologists can be trusted, they were married and had kids. 😃

Which is interesting, as, with the actual evidence we have, we don't even know if they exist (we KNOW from a Church and spiritual standpoint that they existed). With actual evidence, there is very little...and the genealogical lines that claim to do so, an even more so, those that claim to go back to Adam (many of those that trace back to Mary do this as well) are extremely suspect regarding how accurate they are and how verified they actually could be.

For a scientific, historical, and archeological viewpoint those lines are normally (how to put this...nicely) a little fabricated or exaggerated regarding how they are traced...

Which does not mean you aren't related, just the physical evidence that has been found through the decades indicate that normally the genealogical lines that trace back to Mary are not exactly the most dependable...from a secular and worldly point of view.

Edited by JohnsonJones

11 hours ago, romans8 said:

How is the Holy Spirit God without eternal marriage?

God is a title. I don't know how I would even define it specifically. But it encompasses the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost notwithstanding their varying roles and missions. And while there is much we do not know about who the Holy Ghost is we do believe that he will have all the blessings, such as eternal marriage, made available to him at some point.

4 hours ago, Vort said:

No. God is a Being. God is a Father. God is an individual. God means Father, not President.

The premortal Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost were/are also "Gods," not THE God but Gods nonetheless. It is a title that can also be used as a name. Is there something upon which you are basing your definition of God as Father or is that just your personal belief? I've never tried to define it before so I'm just curious.

Edited by laronius

I do not intend to rain on anyone's parade but the basic meaning of a demigod is someone with a divine father and mortal mother; giving them divine "powers" but being able to die.  It is interesting to me how often this shows up in ancient epochs.  For example, the epoch of Baal, Alexander the Great and Zoroaster - to name a few.  It is interesting that anciently a mortal woman was still considered a virgin even after having given birth to divine offspring.   It is indeed troubling to me the many parallels between Christ and Baal.  That causes me to wonder if the ancients intended to remove any and all possible references to a possible marriage of Jesus in order to draw a clear distinction between Jesus and Baal.   And yet at the same time there are other references to Jesus that I wonder may have been included in scripture narrative  in order to demonstrate that Jesus was greater than Baal.  

But there is something else that I believe is part of this discussion.  For whatever reason, many believe that the doctrine of being celibate is somehow of great spiritual value in the eternities than that of being married.  I personally do not believe it.  Marriage is ordained of G-d and a covenant that when lived with loyalty, demonstrates righteousness.  When Jesus was baptized he said it was necessary to fulfill all righteousness.  I understand that to mean that baptism is necessary to fulfill one's covenant with G-d.

The Traveler

On 11/28/2020 at 8:55 AM, laronius said:

Why does marriage need to take place before the resurrection?

22 hours ago, Jonah said:

Why does marriage need to take place before the resurrection?

It depends on what you mean by necessary.  True marriage (not of this world but before G-d) is a divine covenant ordained by G-d.  I do not understand why someone would align themselves with any organization that discredits G-d's covenants or would deny that submission to G-d's covenants is not necessary to become "one" with G-d.  Why would you ask a question about obedience to divine covenant and dismiss it's importance prior to "The Resurrection"?

The Traveler

On 12/7/2020 at 4:37 PM, laronius said:

I said resurrection but I think judgment day is more precise though I think they go hand in hand.

Is a sealing on earth equivalent to a marriage in the spirit world or a marriage after judgment
day (when spirit and body are re-united)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 10:05 AM, Guest Gomezaddams51 said:

Fairmormon has a pretty good section on this question. I'm with you. I believe he was married. I don't believe he had any children, but I do believe he was married.

On 12/22/2020 at 5:03 AM, brotherofJared said:

Fairmormon has a pretty good section on this question. I'm with you. I believe he was married. I don't believe he had any children, but I do believe he was married.

Thanks. I read the FairMormon article.  It said:  Answer: We do not know anything about Jesus Christ being
married. The Church has no authoritative declaration on the subject.

In an older General Conference sermon,  Jesus was said to have been married at Cana and he had
several wives.

https://scriptures.byu.edu/jod/pdf/JoD02/JoD02.pdf

THE JUDGMENTS OF GOD ON THE UNITED STATES—THE SAINTS AND THE WORLD. A SERMON BY PRESIDENT 
ORSON HYDE, DELIVERED IN THE TABERNACLE, GREAT SALT LAKE CITY, MARCH 18, 1855.

I discover that some of the Eastern papers represent me as a great blasphemer, because 
I said, in my lecture on Marriage, at our last Conference, that Jesus Christ was married 
at Cana of Galilee, that Mary, Martha, and others were his wives, and that he begat 
children.

http://www.eldenwatson.net/1850s.htm#15

The paragraph starts with "Let us see what Abraham's works were. Abraham obtained promises"
The collateral teaching seems to be Heavenly Father has multiple wives too.

1 hour ago, Jonah said:

Thanks. I read the FairMormon article.  It said:  Answer: We do not know anything about Jesus Christ being
married. The Church has no authoritative declaration on the subject.

In an older General Conference sermon,  Jesus was said to have been married at Cana and he had
several wives.

@Jonah, you are Catholic, correct?  Is it correct for me to approach Catholic doctrine under the assumption that every single statement made by every single Pope and Cardinal as if it were automatically infallible "Thus saith the Lord"?  Or is there some other thing that should be taken into account (like Ex Cathedra or Apostolic Council statements)?

34 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

@Jonah, you are Catholic, correct?  Is it correct for me to approach Catholic doctrine under the assumption that every single statement made by every single Pope and Cardinal as if it were automatically infallible "Thus saith the Lord"?  Or is there some other thing that should be taken into account (like Ex Cathedra or Apostolic Council statements)?

You should have asked if Nuns are "married" (betrothed) to Jesus?  Which would definingly mean that Jesus has many many wives (more than any man that has ever been on earth) as expressed or understood by extensions of Catholic doctrine.   To be honest, I find it a bit of hypocrisy for a Catholic to question any religion's doctrine  as to possible betrothal of Jesus.  

The Traveler