What is something good that happened to you today?

pam

Thanks to a sudden manic phase, I completed three weeks' worth of columns in a single day, something I haven't done in over a year. 

I basically have all of my weekly columns done for July now given my seasonal "Christmas In July" piece. 

I signed off my marks last night (I'm a teacher) and immediately worried I'd got them wrong and would have to the them changed by chair's action.

• Spent the whole evening worrying - especially while I was out shopping.
  • Woke up several times in the night CONVINCED they were wrong.
  • Mentally ran through all the scenarios of how I would explain myself to "the man".
  • Told myself that I didn't care.
  • Realised that I did care.
  • Got to work early an hour and a half early dared not look at the marks.
  • Got the Bible out and read the book of Joel instead. (Remember the locusts?)
  • Finally bit the bullet and got the marks spreadsheet up...

The marks were fine. 

On 6/8/2022 at 9:05 PM, Still_Small_Voice said:

I finished the entire Book of Isaiah for the first time a few days ago.  My eyes have now read through all sixty-six chapters for the first time.

Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel have got to be the three scariest books in the Bible. I've only ever read them cover-to-cover once - though I'm planning to devote some time to studying the major prophets again soon.

Edited by Jamie123

20 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel have got to be the three scariest books in the Bible. I've only ever read them cover-to-cover once - though I'm planning to devote some time to studying the major prophets again soon.

The prophet Nephi in the Book of Mormon quoted Isaiah extensively. He said he did so to teach his children to rejoice. I wondered about that for years, and finally decided that the redemption of Zion (which will involve, among other things, the destruction of the wicked hypocrites among those who profess to be God's people) is a cause to rejoice.

We set out to Bath today to check out the university for my daughter. We only got a few miles down the road before the car conked out. We had to huddle behind the crash barrier waiting for the recovery truck. The breakdown man said the head gasket had blown and it would cost at least £1000 to fix. I phoned the garage that he'd towed it to later and the garage man said it would need a new engine. But... we all got home safely with no accidents so there's something to thank God for!

On 6/11/2022 at 3:35 PM, Jamie123 said:

We set out to Bath today to check out the university for my daughter. We only got a few miles down the road before the car conked out. We had to huddle behind the crash barrier waiting for the recovery truck. The breakdown man said the head gasket had blown and it would cost at least £1000 to fix. I phoned the garage that he'd towed it to later and the garage man said it would need a new engine. But... we all got home safely with no accidents so there's something to thank God for!

How did a blown head gasket lead to you needing to drop in a new engine? You might want to speak with another mechanic for a second opinion, if possible.

2 hours ago, Ironhold said:

How did a blown head gasket lead to you needing to drop in a new engine? You might want to speak with another mechanic for a second opinion, if possible.

I think the guy I spoke to Saturday was a bit on the tetchy side. I phoned the garage again today and spoke to someone different. They said I could have the gasket fixed for around £2200 or a replacement (used) engine for £3900. I am tempted to go for the first option, but my wife is giving ma a lot of "what if...?"s. I phoned my father for advice - he is not a mechanic (in fact he's a retired school principal) but he has quite a pragmatic approach to life - and he tells me I should go with repair. My father-in-law on the other hand (who does know something about engines) is telling my wife the opposite. I am right in the middle and have a horrid feeling that whatever I choice I make will be the wrong one.

Edited by Jamie123

I am of the opinion that not much out of the ordinary happens to me.  I recently got through what I thought to be kind of strange week.  I like to start out my day with a prayer where I lay out my day plan and ask for approval and assistance to carry out the day in  a pleasing manner.  At the end of the day I report in with prayer and explained what happened and what I have learned.  As is often the case I come complacent with spiritual things and decided to refresh my morning prayers.  My refresh started my strange week.  To understand my week I have two other things to explain.  About 2 years ago I developed a macular hole and required eye surgery.  A year later I had to have cataract surgery that resulted in having to wear glasses all the time.  Since I needed reading glasses I decided to get multi lenses.  They work quite well but my depth perception from 4 to about 12 feet is not very good. 

The other thing is that last fall I had a cycling accident and damaged a tooth that required a root cannel.  Not a big deal but the dentist had to put on a temporary cap before he could finish all the work.

My strange week started with me breaking my temporary tooth cap and having to go back to the dentist - the problem is that I broke the tooth on Friday and could not get to the dentist until Tuesday.  Not anything I cannot handle.   Next thing I get a phone call that my mission president passed away.  The mission president is an interesting story because we did not get along all that well when I was on my mission (mostly my fault involving what we called sheep stealing).  However, I have been helping him complete some end of life goals - mostly a mission reunion that we pulled off just before general conference. 

Next day I am backing my truck out of the garage and broke off my rearview mirror on the passenger side.   The truck is almost 30 years old and now the wife wants me to purchase a new truck.  To fix the mirror is about 1/3 the blue book value of the truck.  The next work day I driving to Provo (same truck) to do some work at our student apartments and in heavy traffic I hit something in the road that shredded a tire.  I put on the spare but it has not been used in 20 years and was almost flat.  So I limped to a place with air for the tire.  The wife said we have to replace all the tires - which with the mirror and the cost to fill the gas tank exceeds the Blue Book value.

By time I get to the apartments a contractor that was doing some work left a mess - I ended up having to clean it up and discovered that the sprinkler system needed work requiring a lot of digging (decided to heir that out). 

Next day, the wife slipped and fell - ended up compressing a disk in her back and damaging her foot.  She ended up requiring a procedure so I had to drive her to the doctor's.  Because I took her to the Dr. I had to cancel a welfare assignment I volunteered for and it ended up to be too late to replace me.

Next, the wife wanted to plant a couple of dozen flowers in the front garden next to the house that is watered with a drip line.  This means that I must drill in plugs to drip water to the plants.  With the new drips I had to create a loop back so the water pressure would be enough and consistent in the drip line - the increased water pressure caused a bunch of the plugs to leak so I had to replace a whole section of the drip line.  A simple  half hour task turned into a more complex 4 hour task. 

Next, a son called and asked if I would help him with some staining at his apartments he recently purchased.  I got a huge sliver and got blood in the stain before I realized it.

All this is not a big deal to me but it is strange to have problems with things I seldom worry about and stranger still that they all happened when I attempted to increase my personal spirituality.   

The Traveler 

• 1 year later...

I just finished the New Testament today.  I read or listened to all 403 pages about. 

Now, it is on to the Book of Mormon.  Presently I finished Enos to Words of Mormon and I am starting on the book of Mosiah now.  In the future I will go back to I Nephi to Jacob.

I went for about a two mile hike with my daughter and dogs in the Wasatch mountains yesterday.  We were up there when the sun was settings.  As the sun went down we were bathed in a golden light for about ten minutes.  The view up there was also magnificent.