This or that?

pam

I'll bite.  I normally prefer chocolate.  Unless it's my home made vanilla ice cream.  

My home made vanilla ice cream uses my home made vanilla.  I've had vanilla beans sitting in a half gallon of bourbon for about 8 years. Bourbon vanilla has a rather pleasant flavor to it.

When it comes to the soft-serve machine dispensed stuff that you get in fast food joints, I strongly prefer vanilla over chocolate.

When it comes to real ice cream -- probably a slight preference for vanilla over (plain) chocolate, but everything goes out the window when you start putting other stuff in there (rocky road or chocolate with fudge or cookie dough or...

Another reason not to visit this forum -- it sends me off to indulge in one of my favorite vices. You couldn't have asked a safer question? Like "iceberg or romaine"?

False dichotamies...how about both/and? There are times when a single flavor sits well. However, @dprh is not wrong--some of those mixtures are truly awesome. We've got to walk in victory, success, and spiritual over-coming. If the road there is paved with plain chocolate or vanilla, I'm still all-in! :bearhug:

Edited by prisonchaplain

33 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Okay... I don't want to totally derail this but... I dare anyone to ask Google, "where does vanilla flavoring come from".
Learn anything new today??

With that ^^^^ information, I'm going with 'Chocolate' ice cream.

Ignorance is bliss sometimes.  :)   

1 hour ago, NeedleinA said:

Okay... I don't want to totally derail this but... I dare anyone to ask Google, "where does vanilla flavoring come from".

So, real vanilla comes from vanilla bean. Of course, there are cheap, artificial flavorings that Google described in less than savory terms. THAT reminds me of a very sad YouTube video I watched. A fellow that looked to be about 90, probably widowed, spent over 10 minutes showing how he fried up some 89-cents-per-8 hot dogs, some equally-priced buns, and a potato. His meal was less than $3 and he declared it delicious. Perhaps, if we do not ask what went into those hot dogs...or into artificially-flavored vanilla ice cream. :saint:

Edited by prisonchaplain

44 minutes ago, Suzie said:

I like both although vanilla is quite boring. I make my own ice-cream and I like to add some coconut milk to the mix. Delish!

Coconut can make the world a better place!
We were in Hawaii a couple of years ago, they had Taro & Coconut ice cream. Though it was purple, it was also Delish!
Found a version of it on the mainland at an Asian market from the Philippines, it was good but not as good as Hawaii.
index.jpg.caf48472cf0f66580ab215405802fc0c.jpg

Edited by NeedleinA

28 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I found out I did not particularly like bacon ice cream.   (I do like bacon donuts though.)

Jack in the Box had a bacon milkshake that was off-the-charts delicious (as well it should be, coming in at over 900 calories for a large). The key is that the dominant flavor was actually maple, with a fairly strong hint of bacon. Alas, my love of the monstrosity was not shared by the masses, as the offering only lasted 2-3 months.

OIP.xtg2Cty0G8B2nrQ_4GPfUAAAAA?w=204&h=1

Edited by prisonchaplain

1 hour ago, prisonchaplain said:

Jack in the Box had a bacon milkshake that was off-the-charts delicious (as well it should be, coming in at over 900 calories for a large). The key is that the dominant flavor was actually maple, with a fairly strong hint of bacon. Alas, my love of the monstrosity was not shared by the masses, as the offering only lasted 2-3 months.

OIP.xtg2Cty0G8B2nrQ_4GPfUAAAAA?w=204&h=1

I remember that well.  No Jack in the Box here on the Wasatch Front, but I happened to be in St. George for work and they had them at the Jack in the Box there.  And yes, it was mostly maple with a funky sort of bacon-ish aftertaste.

I’ve also tried chocolate-coated bacon (at the Jelly Belly factory in California).  Good thing to say you’ve tried, but I have no desire to try it again.

Edited by Just_A_Guy