Two Truths and a lie game

Suzie

2 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

I never did. My guess is that was pre-1987, because I'll never forget the purple tofu soup (rich in iron, if a hint is needed). Also:

CORRECTION: There is no such thing as kimchee pacheon.  It's just kimchee-cheon. Apparently, pacheon must have seafood mixed into the dough.

You got me. I don't know what purple tofu soup is.  Must have been for rich people.

This has turned gross real fast. 

If no one else is going to continue I am.  Here are my three:

1)  I drove a 1990 Geo Metro with a 3 cylinder engine at 100 miles per hour.

2)  I was fired from a job for being caught asleep once.

3)  I served a mission in Georgia from 1994 to 1996.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice
Correcting grammar

Number three is the lie.  I served a mission in the Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh mission, not in Georgia.

I was a security officer on post at a job and fell asleep at around 01:00 or 02:00 in the morning when I was around twenty-two years old.  Another officer found me asleep and instead of waking me up reported me.  This ended up that it got me terminated from the job.

Edit:  I hate graveyard shift jobs.  They are very difficult for me to stay awake at while on shift.  At another job on graveyard shift I fell asleep while standing.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

Since PC has taken a turn I'm going to go.

1.   I studied history as a major at Ricks College aka BYU-Idaho.

2.   I have had dinner with Bob Hope.

3.   I was never in the Navy but I had a job flying out to aircraft carriers while they were at sea.

13 hours ago, pam said:

3.   I was never in the Navy but I had a job flying out to aircraft carriers while they were at sea.

I'll go with two. One is too mundane to be made up, and as for three... I hadn't previously known you were a pilot, but somehow I can believe it.

1. I have a brother and a nephew who are both serving police officers, as well as two cousins who are ex-cops. (I am the black sheep of the family!)

2. I know a woman who has a PhD in time travel. (In case you think it was from a phony college, it wasn't. It was from Durham University - which is about on a par with Princeton or Cornell.)

3. I went to school with John Deacon, bass guitarist of Queen.

36 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

1. I have a brother and a nephew who are both serving police officers, as well as two cousins who are ex-cops. (I am the black sheep of the family!)

2. I know a woman who has a PhD in time travel. (In case you think it was from a phony college, it wasn't. It was from Durham University - which is about on a par with Princeton or Cornell.)

3. I went to school with John Deacon, bass guitarist of Queen.

#2 is possibly the lie.  But it could simply be re-wording of a real degree like "Theoretical Physics with an emphasis in the probabilities of temporal flux."  So, there are a dozen ways this could be construed as true.  And who knows?  Maybe they do have an actual degree in "time travel".  A lot of good it does.

I'm going with #3.  I thought you were younger than he is by a large margin.  So, unless your school covered all the years of primary & secondary education in one, I don't think that's possible.

Edited by Carborendum

14 hours ago, pam said:

I think #1: I know you studied history.  But Ricks doesn't sound right.

You had dinner with Bob Hope at a USO function.

The aircraft carrier thing... yes, I believe you did.

Edited by Carborendum

My turn.

1) My engineering degree has no specific discipline named.  It can be applied to any discipline.

2) After our eldest son moved out, we've been granted temporary guardianship of two young children due to economic hardship of the parents.

3) The only sneakers I've worn for the past 15 years have been Korean made.

31 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

My turn.

1) My engineering degree has no specific discipline named.  It can be applied to any discipline.

2) After our eldest son moved out, we've been granted temporary guardianship of two young children due to economic hardship of the parents.

#2 is the lie? 🤔

35 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

My turn.

1. I know that until the 1990s there were some older British universities that offered degrees in "engineering" without specifying a particular branch of engineering (like mechanical or electrical engineering) - so I can well believe that.

2. This sounds too tragic to have been made up.

3. This is definitely plausible. We have a lot of stuff made in Korea too.

It's 1 or 3. I'll go for 3.

17 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

I am saying this is the lie:

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I think #1: I know you studied history.  But Ricks doesn't sound right.

You had dinner with Bob Hope at a USO function.

The aircraft carrier thing... yes, I believe you did.

3 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

I'll go with two. One is too mundane to be made up, and as for three... I hadn't previously known you were a pilot, but somehow I can believe it.

#1 was the lie.  I did go to Ricks College but had not declared a major when I went there.

I did have dinner with Bob Hope.  I was president of the USO volunteer organization in San Diego.  We had our annual HUGE fundraiser and he was the guest of honor.  Another bit of trivia.  Not my first encounter with Bob Hope.  He did a USO show in Alaska when I was in 4th grade and they wanted a children's act.  3 boys and 3 girls to sing and dance.  Hundreds of us tried out and I was one of the girls selected.

I did fly out to aircraft carriers.  I was on a team of supply inspectors.  We would fly out to the carriers when they were out doing workups off the coast of San Diego to perform surprise inspections of their storerooms.  There was one time that we had to stay over night.  This was back in the time of no women on carriers so I was the only female onboard the entire ship.  I stayed in one of the officer cabins and had an armed Marine at my door.  

3 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

1. I know that until the 1990s there were some older British universities that offered degrees in "engineering" without specifying a particular branch of engineering (like mechanical or electrical engineering) - so I can well believe that.

2. This sounds too tragic to have been made up.

3. This is definitely plausible. We have a lot of stuff made in Korea too.

It's 1 or 3. I'll go for 3.

3 hours ago, Suzie said:

#2 is the lie? 🤔

Very intuitive.  #2 is correct.  Complete fabrication.  My eldest has not yet moved out (though he's saving money for that now that his career is in high gear). And no one would trust me and my wife with their kids.  They might end up as messed up as we are.

Engineering: Although there are several disciplines represented in the BYU College of Engineering all graduates only receive a "Bachelor of Science in Engineering" degree.  This is partially legacy, and partially because so many times, the different disciplines overlap so much that one could apply the education in one discipline as applicable to others depending on the particular problem.

There are only a few brands that make shoes in my size.  And some of them are very expensive.  When I discovered that both Reebok and New Balance made sneakers in my size I realized that was I had to go with.

5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

There are only a few brands that make shoes in my size.  And some of them are very expensive.  When I discovered that both Reebok and New Balance made sneakers in my size I realized that was I had to go with.

So what size shoes do you wear?