Two Truths and a lie game

Suzie

4 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

Seems everyone current has been guessed out.

1. I have straight A's in graduate level statistics courses from Harvard.

2. I have never served in Primary, despite asking to be called there multiple times.

3. I once dated a stripper

I'm pretty sure #2 is true.

1 or 3?

I'll say #1 is false.

5 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

Seems everyone current has been guessed out.

1. I have straight A's in graduate level statistics courses from Harvard.

2. I have never served in Primary, despite asking to be called there multiple times.

3. I once dated a stripper

39 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

Good guess.  #1 is outrageously false.

I WIN!!!!  I get to go again.

1. I set a new record in the 6th grade for the 1/4 mile run at 1 min 1.1 sec.

2. I led the NFL team at my high school in state championships in my senior year of high school.

3. I wowed my mother-in-law by picking up the flute for the first time and clearly played "If You Could Hie to Kolob."

1 hour ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

So what size shoes do you wear?

I wear an 8-1/2 EEEE.  Usually the EEEE are only made in much larger sizes.  But apparently, this "Fred Flintstone" foot geometry is quite common among Koreans.  So, it is more of a practicality than a loyalty to the homeland.

Neither company was founded in Korea.  But much of their manufacturing is done there.  And each pair I've purchased has had the "Made in Korea" label on them.  But that will change.  Korean wages are going up.  It won't be feasible to manufacture there anymore.

Edited by Carborendum

54 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

2. I led the NFL team at my high school in state championships in my senior year of high school.

3. I wowed my mother-in-law by picking up the flute for the first time and clearly played "If You Could Hie to Kolob."

#2 is either the lie or was mistyped, because high schools do not have National Football League teams.

Edited by prisonchaplain

49 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

It was not typed incorrectly.  It is simply a different initialism. National Forensics League.  It's a debate organization.

This former high school debater did not know that. In that case, I'd choose #3. It just seems unlikely someone could pick up an instrument for the first time and be able to play a hymn (much less Chopsticks).

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

1. is false.

50 minutes ago, Grunt said:

1. is false.

#1 is correct.  It was my sister who set a new school record with that time (I've heard that it has been broken since then).  I was never a great sprinter.  I was a somewhat decent distance runner.  But I never would have broken records.  And come to think of it, I believe she broke that record when she was a 5th grader.

1 hour ago, prisonchaplain said:

This former high school debater did not know that. In that case, I'd choose #3. It just seems unlikely someone could pick up an instrument for the first time and be able to play a hymn (much less Chopsticks).

#3 is actually true.  I had just purchased a new flute for my daughter's birthday present since she had indicated a desire to learn.  She looked at it and felt a degree of panic because she didn't know anything about the flute or the strange markings in the book I got for her.  So, to calm her nerves, I just put it to my lips and began to play.  It took about a minute, maybe two minutes to figure out some details: lip position, direction and intensity of air, some stops, etc. 

Then I played.  As soon as I finished the hymn, my MIL (plays both the flute and piano as well as a couple other instruments) came and asked me

How long have you been playing the flute?

About 10 minutes or so?

No, I mean how long in your life.

About 10 minutes.

She raised her eyebrows and looked at my wife for some verification that I was not joking.  My wife nodded her head that I was telling the truth.

Of course, it sounds less savant-ish if you know that I had played the clarinet for about 20 years by that time.  Not completely the same since it has a register key instead of the lip shapes which change octaves, the reed vs the open pipe, etc.  but similar enough that I got the idea.

#2 was not a lie, but it was misleading.  I was indeed in the NFL (National Forensics League).  And our school went to the State Championship forensics tournament.  Basically, if you had a few people place in a number of tournaments during the year, you went to the championships.  We didn't even come close to becoming state champs.  We just participated at a time when they didn't hand out participation trophies. 

The misleading part was that we didn't actually have a "team leader" or "team captain."  But I was one of the few students who drove his own car.  I was also one of the few who could read a map.  So, I was the lead car in our caravan and led the team to the championships :) .

Edited by Carborendum

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Very intuitive.  #2 is correct.  

Okay, let me try this.

1. When I was a teenager, I chased a thief after he attempted to steal my grandmother's purse.

2. I have very vivid dreams when someone is about to die and how (premonition).

3. I'm currently researching about one of the earliest known African-American women to convert to the Church.

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

#1 is correct.  It was my sister who set a new school record with that time (I've heard that it has been broken since then).  I was never a great sprinter.  I was a somewhat decent distance runner.  But I never would have broken records.  And come to think of it, I believe she broke that record when she was a 5th grader.

#3 is actually true.  I had just purchased a new flute for my daughter's birthday present since she had indicated a desire to learn.  She looked at it and felt a degree of panic because she didn't know anything about the flute or the strange markings in the book I got for her.  So, to calm her nerves, I just put it to my lips and began to play.  It took about a minute, maybe two minutes to figure out some details: lip position, direction and intensity of air, some stops, etc. 

Then I played.  As soon as I finished the hymn, my MIL (plays both the flute and piano as well as a couple other instruments) came and asked me

How long have you been playing the flute?

About 10 minutes or so?

No, I mean how long in your life.

About 10 minutes.

She raised her eyebrows and looked at my wife for some verification that I was not joking.  My wife nodded her head that I was telling the truth.

Of course, it sounds less savant-ish if you know that I had played the clarinet for about 20 years by that time.  Not completely the same since it has a register key instead of the lip shapes which change octaves, the reed vs the open pipe, etc.  but similar enough that I got the idea.

#2 was not a lie, but it was misleading.  I was indeed in the NFL (National Forensics League).  And our school went to the State Championship forensics tournament.  Basically, if you had a few people place in a number of tournaments during the year, you went to the championships.  We didn't even come close to becoming state champs.  We just participated at a time when they didn't hand out participation trophies. 

The misleading part was that we didn't actually have a "team leader" or "team captain."  But I was one of the few students who drove his own car.  I was also one of the few who could read a map.  So, I was the lead car in our caravan and led the team to the championships :) .

Does that mean I'm supposed to go?

17 hours ago, Carborendum said:

#2 is possibly the lie.  But it could simply be re-wording of a real degree like "Theoretical Physics with an emphasis in the probabilities of temporal flux."  So, there are a dozen ways this could be construed as true.  And who knows?  Maybe they do have an actual degree in "time travel".  A lot of good it does.

I'm going with #3.  I thought you were younger than he is by a large margin.  So, unless your school covered all the years of primary & secondary education in one, I don't think that's possible.

1. I have a brother and a nephew who are both serving police officers, as well as two cousins who are ex-cops. (I am the black sheep of the family!)

This is quite true. My brother went to work in a bank straight out of college. He insisted to begin with that it was the greatest job ever. He used to wear a dark suit and call himself "a yuppie". He also wore a red tie, and I used to wind him up by calling him "Comrade" - which irritated him no end. After about 5 years though, he thoroughly hated the bank and joined the police instead. His son has just joined the police too. I have a photo of him in his uniform: his sister says he looks like "a little kid in fancy dress" - but I think that's because his uniform is too new. After a few scuffles with desperate robbers he'll look like a normal cop I'm sure. My two cousins joined the police straight out of college, and both rose to the rank of inspector (similar I suppose to lieutenant in the US) and have both quite recently retired - and are both glad to be out of it!

2. I know a woman who has a PhD in time travel. (In case you think it was from a phony college, it wasn't. It was from Durham University - which is about on a par with Princeton or Cornell.)

This is also true. My friend is a philosopher: she took her BA and PhD at Durham, the title of her doctoral dissertation being "The Logical Possibility of Time Travel". (I have a copy of it here.) She also taught in the philosophy department at Durham before leaving to become a full-time writer. She's written some wonderful fantasy/sci-fi novels with a philosophical edge to them. I had a mind to put up a link to her books, but I suspect that trying to drum up business for friends would be against the rules of the forum. (If I'm wrong, please tell me and I will.)

3. I went to school with John Deacon, bass guitarist of Queen.

This is the lie, although it does have a germ of truth in it. I went to the same school as Deacon, though not at the same time as him. (He had left a few years before I arrived - so yes Carborendum you're quite right!) It is a very old school - so old in fact that no one knows how it started. There is a tradition that it was founded by Warwick the Kingmaker, though historians believe it was already going long before his time. Having said that, it's not a particularly prestigious school: its what Americans would call a "public school" - one that all the neighbourhood kids go to - and the oldest of its current buildings dates from the 1960s.

Edited by Jamie123

24 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

1.  I have arrested a prostitute.

2.  I have pepper sprayed a large crowd of drunks

3.  I have tasered two different people in one shift.

In the area you work I could imagine you having done all three.  But if I had to choose...I would choose #2.

14 hours ago, askandanswer said:

This reminds me of the importance of word order. It has such a different meaning if the word order is slightly rearranged to 

I dated a stripper once

I'm not sure I understand the difference.

13 hours ago, Grunt said:

Me too!

Wow. We actually _do_ have something in common